Fucking, Austria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

I just sent it to him if you wanna get some sleep. :)

Cool, thanks. I'm going very soon.

Here's my interpretation of OTH 26/12/89's improvised verse:

With the baby love
Your love is in versayshun (the station?)
Bittersweet love, bitter baby
Bitter chain for Jara, for Jara
Oh won't you babe(?), won't you take
Won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody love (or learn?), won't somebody
Won't you feel it Lord, won't somebody
Why must you favour(?)
Run like a sea

major_panic said:

The initial thing that caused me to become a U2 fan was Vertigo. :reject:

After that, I think it was hearing Bad live at Melbourne2 Vertigo that really hooked me. Cause after that, I joined Interference, started downloading boots, bought Pop, etc.

Way to be a n00b, Maj. :wink:

Here I was, feeling n00bish for not being a serious fan until late 2002/early 2003.

Axver said:

With the baby love
Won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody, won't somebody love (or learn?), won't somebody
Why must you favour(?)
Run like a sea

Wow, so Bono's usual initial efforts at writing / singing, I suppose.

That being said, the fact that it was improvised impresses me. Although the fact that Edge improvised impresses me more. He needs to do that a lot more live.

Axver said:

Way to be a n00b, Maj. :wink:

Here I was, feeling n00bish for not being a serious fan until late 2002/early 2003.

Yeah, Interference just poured fire onto the U2 flame. That being said, it was back when EYKIW made some sense.

Wow, Bad is more drawn-out and just hanging on than anything else. It's actually gotten a bit boring. :(

major_panic said:
Wow, so Bono's usual initial efforts at writing / singing, I suppose.

That being said, the fact that it was improvised impresses me. Although the fact that Edge improvised impresses me more. He needs to do that a lot more live.

Yeah. It's very much a stream of consciousness thing and needs to be taken as the voice being used as an extra instrument. It's more about the intense emotion and sheer vocal power of that verse, not the lyrics themselves. I love the "your love is in versaaayshuuuuun" part.

Edge is really fucking impressive there, he's the star of the song. The solo is really quite distinct from anything he usually did. He goes into overdrive in a big way.

Alisaura said:

Is that this famous "Rock's Hottest Ticket" boot?

:scratch:

What sucks about half the boots I have is that they're not dated... :grumpy:

No, Rock's Hottest Ticket is 29 April 1987, Chicago. You will adore the performance of Exit on it, and it has a great cover of Springhill Mining Town too.

I believe 26 December 1989, Dublin is normally titled Christmas At The Point.

Hehehe, in terms of Bad, I just realised I'd rate Melbourne2 Vertigo, then Live Aid, then RAH, then the other stuff...

Not biased at all :wink:

Axver said:

With the baby love
Why must you favour(?)
Run like a sea

:lol:

U2_sarajevo3_1997.jpg

I used this as the album art for the Sarajevo concert.

major_panic said:
The good thing about being Batman is that he only goes out at night though. Nice and cool :up:
I guess Gotham City has the added bonus of NO DIRECT SUNSHINE EVAR. And probably perpetual night, too.

Axver said:

Yeah. It's very much a stream of consciousness thing and needs to be taken as the voice being used as an extra instrument. It's more about the intense emotion and sheer vocal power of that verse, not the lyrics themselves. I love the "your love is in versaaayshuuuuun" part.

Edge is really fucking impressive there, he's the star of the song. The solo is really quite distinct from anything he usually did. He goes into overdrive in a big way.

How often does Edge improvise in a noticeable way, anyway? I know (think?) he varies bits in songs like One and WOWY and Beautiful Day within tours sometimes, but any major improv solos beyond that?

major_panic said:

Yeah, Interference just poured fire onto the U2 flame. That being said, it was back when EYKIW made some sense.

Wow, Bad is more drawn-out and just hanging on than anything else. It's actually gotten a bit boring. :(

:lol: I really do wonder what EYKIW will be like when the new album comes out. Mayhem, I am sure.

Yeah, some of the ultra-long Bads aren't actually that great to listen to. Often Bono's gotten lost in the crowd or something. Still, I wish the Bads I'd heard had gone on that long. In the moment, I could've listened to Edge repeating those notes into infinity.

phillyfan26 said:
Downloading the Please from Axver now. :up:

I'm staying up a bit more because I absolutely must listen to this again. I'd forgotten just how incredibly fucking intense it is.

Alisaura said:

I guess Gotham City has the added bonus of NO DIRECT SUNSHINE EVAR. And probably perpetual night, too.

:yes:

I don't understand why I love the idea behind Batman so much. The myth, the tortured soul, the darkness, the borderline psychopathy and evil... I just really like it! :shifty:

major_panic said:
After that, I think it was hearing Bad live at Melbourne2 Vertigo that really hooked me. Cause after that, I joined Interference, started downloading boots, bought Pop, etc.
:up:

I didn't get Pop until I'd joined this place either... although a little while ago now. :wink:

major_panic said:
Hehehe, in terms of Bad, I just realised I'd rate Melbourne2 Vertigo, then Live Aid, then RAH, then the other stuff...

Not biased at all :wink:

I'd rate Bad in Boston on 26/05/05 to be better than Melbourne II, but only by a little.

Bad on RAH kills any post-1989 version. There are a few sensational Lovetown versions too. I believe one of the Melbourne boots (8 or 9 October 1989, I think) is entitled Bad At Its Best.

Axver said:

I'm staying up a bit more because I absolutely must listen to this again. I'd forgotten just how incredibly fucking intense it is.

I'm listening to this now.

Man, U2 really, really, really need to pull out Pop Muzik / Mofo once again, even if it's for an encore. I think if I heard that live, I'd spontaneously combust. :combust:

Axver said:

*wants*

:whistle:

major_panic said:

How often does Edge improvise in a noticeable way, anyway? I know (think?) he varies bits in songs like One and WOWY and Beautiful Day within tours sometimes, but any major improv solos beyond that?

I can't think of any improvisation quite as significant as this example. You've got me stumped! Like you say, there are small examples, but that's all I've got.

Which I suppose is what makes this performance even more special.

Alisaura said:

You don't have it either?! :ohmy:

Here I was, thinking I'd e-mailed it to everyone in existence and then some! Well, it's on its way.

Axver said:

I'd rate Bad in Boston on 26/05/05 to be better than Melbourne II, but only by a little.

From U2VT:

Comments: Out Of Control makes its Vertigo Tour debut. Its appearance is spontaneous; at the end of Until The End Of The World, the band are going into With Or Without You when Bono calls for Out Of Control. While Edge scrambles for the right guitar, Bono has to yell Adam Clayton's name multiple times to get his attention.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ADAM CLAYTON = OWNED!

phillyfan26 said:
Desire Sydney is improv.

All of those shredding solos followed a fairly similar template though, no?

That OTH solo is right out of fucking nowhere.

Oh, though the entire band improvises an extended ending of God Part II in Yokohama on 23 November 1989 that's fucking awesome. Don't have it on the computer though, sorry.

phillyfan26 said:
Damn, I've got church in 45 minutes. Fucking religion.

:laugh: Because I actually enjoy church. "Contemporary" church with rock music for the win, although pop theology for the lose.

major_panic said:

I'm listening to this now.

Man, U2 really, really, really need to pull out Pop Muzik / Mofo once again, even if it's for an encore. I think if I heard that live, I'd spontaneously combust. :combust:

They did Pop Muzik / Discotheque to open the encore at 17 September 2005, Toronto.

And damnit, now you've got me listening to Mofo. I need to sleep! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom