For Cat Lovers Only V - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone who owns/has owned cats can help me...

My sister has a cat who seems to have been unwell for a while (about 3 months). Recently, she started eating a lot less than usual. In the past few days, she has pretty much stopped eating altogether. Yet she drinks a lot more than usual. My sister believed the cat had a cold, and that this would eventually get better, so she did not seek treatment for the cat until it stopped eating; it was only when this happened that she realised that the cat probably had something more serious than some type of feline cold. My sister has now booked an appointment for the cat at the vet, but it will not be seen for a few days. I am wondering if anyone here could give me any information on what the problem might be, or advice on what we could do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kellyahern said:
Max is pretty :heart:. Is he a blue point siamese?

We think so, but my roomie picked him up from a shelter this summer. He is the sweetest, most affectionate kitty. We don't know anything about his background, but he seems to be very well adjisted around people now - he wasn't before.

mystery girl said:
Hi,

My sister has a cat who seems to have been unwell for a while (about 3 months). Recently, she started eating a lot less than usual. In the past few days, she has pretty much stopped eating altogether. Yet she drinks a lot more than usual. My sister believed the cat had a cold, and that this would eventually get better, so she did not seek treatment for the cat until it stopped eating; it was only when this happened that she realised that the cat probably had something more serious than some type of feline cold. My sister has now booked an appointment for the cat at the vet, but it will not be seen for a few days. I am wondering if anyone here could give me any information on what the problem might be, or advice on what we could do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First of all it's good the cat has an apt with the vet. We did have a cat that stopped eating, to the extent that she was severely dehydrated and I was force-feeding her liquefied food with a syringe, but she had FIP, an incurable and fatal disease. She was euthanized soon after. However, the loss of appetite was only one of many symptoms our cat had and I'm sure there are many reasons for a cat to stop eating, so I don't want to make you worry.

mystery girl said:
Hi,

How old is the cat? It could be a number of things. Not eating and excessive drinking could be anything from kidney failure to diabetes. I would suggest she take the cat to the vet now. Find a different vet or emergency vet. Cats can develop secondary problems like fatty liver disease if they dont eat even for 1 or 2 days.

In the christmas spirit :)

314416646_33b17c3fe5.jpg

Can't believe Jewel let me do this to her!:happy:

And I finally managed to catch her in the Xmas tree :)

314470711_c2d852bd13.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Liesje and Sicy. My sister did manage to get an earlier appointment with the vet, and the cat was seen today. She was told that the cat probably has multiple problems - she has a heart murmer (?), possibly hyper-thyroidism and possibly kidney disease :( Liesje, what is FIP? Sicy, we don't know how old the cat is - it was a stray - but we suspect it is elderly in cat terms. Do you have any ideas for encouraging the cat to eat? She hasn't really eaten for a few days now. The sad thing is, she will run to you when you offer her chicken (her favourite food), and she will take the food from you. But when it comes to actually eating it, she can't seem to manage :sad: She will not even drink her usual special cat milk.

Last edited:
Oh dear :( That's quite a lot going on. 'Possibly' has these problems? Did they do some bloodwork? That will tell you a lot for sure. Well a heart murmur is not too bad, and I dont know much about hyper-thyroidism in cats but I know a lot about CRF (kidney disease). The cat should spend some time at the vet getting IV fluids, and then continuing to receive subq fluids on a regular basis at home. She should also be on a special diet for kidney failure and possibly some medications.

You can give your sister this website, it tells you all you need to know about CRF.

http://www.felinecrf.com/

and FIP, but I doubt she has that.

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/fip.html

She can also try to give the cat human baby food (beef, turkey or chicken). Cats seem to love that, even if they're ill. There is also a medication she can get from the vet that is an appetite stimulant that might help her eat. It's very important that she not become dehydrated because that can add worse problems. If she has to she should try to give her water or soft food with a syringe.

I know these things can be maintained but it will take a lot of work on the part of your sister and the vets.

Yep, definitely try the baby food - just make sure there is no garlic or onion powder in it - most cats will eat that when they won't eat anything else, you can try warming it up to. I'm hoping they did some tests to determine what all is wrong - if her kidney values are high she'll need fluid therapy in the hospital to get her eating again, then continued care at home. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyoid) is pretty easily manageable with medication but it can be trickier to regulate them if they also have kidney problems.

Well guess who is the next lucky person to make an addition to their cat family? We've been doing so well with just Iris for 7 years, but we are going to be bringing home a new sister for her today named Lily. I'll try to get some pics posted soon - she looks just like a mini-Iris (a dilute Torti), about 6 months old :)

bonosloveslave said:
Well guess who is the next lucky person to make an addition to their cat family? We've been doing so well with just Iris for 7 years, but we are going to be bringing home a new sister for her today named Lily. I'll try to get some pics posted soon - she looks just like a mini-Iris (a dilute Torti), about 6 months old :)

Aww! :cute:

Can you tell me how that goes, since Iris is about Mia's age? :)

Can't wait for the pictures!

Last edited:
Yay Beth!!

Question: is it natural for kittens to have really bad breath? I know cats have nasty breath, but Marijke's has been exceptionally bad. She smells even with her mouth shut. Is it just the kitten food? I don't remember Beckham and Posh smelling quite this nasty.

I'm sure she'd love that! I actually have a cat toothbrush and cat paste, b/c when Beckham was one they said his teeth were already bad and he had to have them cleaned. This year, the vet was surprised to see he'd had a full cleaning and said his teeth look fine and I don't have to brush them. :shrug: They loved to lick the malt paste though!

bonosloveslave said:

:applaud: :up:

Although I think you should name her "CatBat." :wink:

Thanks, guys We will try the baby food :) Yes, they are doing some blood-work. We will be given the results today. It will be a relief for my sister to finally be able to know for sure what is wrong.

Angela Harlem, your cat is beautiful! My kitty is fat, i'm sure my mom (Lila64) has shown you all pictures, and if she hasn't, just say something and i'll post a couple :cute:

My cats look really mad in these pics for some reason :lol:

I cant do anything when Saki plants his fat butt right in front of my monitor!

sakiblockcomp.jpg

And Zoey growled at me after I took this pic lol! Jeez.. :rolleyes:

zoeyannoyed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom