Favorite Album time... my Floydians!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite Floyd?

• Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Saucerful of Secrets

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • More

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ummagumma

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Atom Heart Mother

• Relics

• Meddle

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Obscured By Clouds

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dark Side of the Moon

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • Animals

• The Wall

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • The Final Cut

• A Momentary Lapse of Reason

• The Division Bell

• Total voters

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Pick your favorite from Piper to Div Bell.

At the risk of sounding very boring, my favorite is Dark Side Of The Moon hands down. Yes... I have listened to almost every single studio album of theirs and yet, none compare to the way DSOTM weaves together the concepts of time, money, war, madness, life and death.

Gotta choose The Wall ...

Hey You, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb and Another Brick In The Wall are timeless masterpieces from Pink Floyd ...
I'd also have to compliment Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home ...
Such GREAT music ... absolute CLASSIC album indeed !! :applaud:

Yoiks. This is like asking someone to pick their favorite child.

I'm actually gonna go way out into left field with this one. I won't go with a 1973-1979 title as I imagine just about everyone else will do. My favorite period is the post-Syd period...so now I have to decide between Meddle, Saucerful, More, and Ummagumma. And I can't so we will have to do this scientifically.

Saucerful's Pro's: The Saucerful suite, Jugband Blues, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and Let There Be More Light.
Saucerful's Con's: Corporal Clegg, See Saw :yuck:

More's Pro's: Cymbaline :drool:, Cirrus Minor, The Nile Song, Ibiza Bar, Green is the Colour
More's Con's: A Spanish Piece, all those damn instrumentals

Ummagumma's Pro's: The Narrow Way, Grantchester Meadows, Careful With That Axe Eugene (live)
Ummagumma's Con's: Several Species..., Sysyphus

Meddle's Pro's: Echoes, One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds, San Tropez, Fearless
Meddle's Con's: Seamus

Looks like Meddle it is. Although More pulls up a VERY close second. :D

Ah... I just love these hardcore fan posts! :wink:

Great choice, Dave C! :up: Meddle is gorgeous. I like that era too. Listening to Atom Heart Mother right now.

But you don't like Wright's See Saw??? :shocked:

starsgoblue said:
I'm going to have to say DSOTM for me. When I was in high school I listened to that album every single night when I was going to sleep. It's got sentimental value. And it's just outstanding. :up:

:hug:

I was wondering when you were gonna reply! :wink:

Zootlesque said:
But you don't like Wright's See Saw??? :shocked:

It's not that I don't like the song itself, but that constant back and forth thing on the stereo...that makes me want to rip the speakers out.

Meddle. It's the album it's O.K. to like more than DSotM. :wink:

Seriously though, the band's on fire through the whole thing.

If this poll were to end in the next half-hour...we'd have some messed up results like:

The Wall > Dark Side

Meddle > Wish You Were Here

And no album pre-Meddle has gotten a vote yet. :|

Incidently, I saw a floyd tribute last week. 'Pink Fraud' - Fantastic! They played the entire WYWH album and also, all 23 mins + of 'Atom Heart Mother'!!!:drool:

Gotta go with Momentary Lapse of Reason, a return to the pre Wall Floyd. The opening Signs of Life into Learning to Fly is just terrific, and some of the second side instrumentals are gems (Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost).

Nice to see Meddle getting some love, Echoes is brilliant. WYWH was my runner-up. And though it will likely not fetch much support, Obscured is a fun little album with a couple great tunes (Gilmour's Childhood's End and Waters' Free Four).

Re: Re: Favorite Album time... my Floydians!

MsMofoGone said:

Hey Zootlesque ...
Is there going to be a "time limit" on the poll ?? :hmm:
It would be interesting to see which Pink Floyd album becomes the "overall" winner !! :wink:

I didn't set any time limit for this poll cos:

a. I wasn't sure about the time span it would take to get some decent looking results. It all depends on the popularity of a Floyd poll in a U2 site.

b. A person can only vote once anyway and so it would just keep accumulating the responses. The more the merrier.

I hope we eventually see a very varied results chart. After all many of those albums are really good. My favorites overall are Piper, Saucerful, Relics, Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall and Div Bell. The rest of 'em I like in parts.

LemonMelon said:

The Wall > Dark Side

The Wall for me.

Though I know that no real "Floydians" feel this way (and would/will probably soil themselves upon reading this)....I guess I've just always thought that Dark Side of the Moon sounds a bit dated......

u2popmofo said:
.I guess I've just always thought that Dark Side of the Moon sounds a bit dated......

Interesting. I think it is exactly the opposite. DSOTM is one of those rare albums that still sounds fresh, like it was just recorded. Alan Parsons did an amazing job on that.

I think a lot of it depends on which era you're a fan of...

SYD ERA
Arnold Layne, See Emily Play & all the other singles
Piper

(POST SYD) GILMOUR ERA
saucerful
more

AVANT GARDE/EXPERIMENTAL ERA
ummagumma
atom heart mother

CLASSIC ERA (Gilmour and Waters in perfect harmony)
meddle
obscured by clouds
dark side
wish you were here

WATERS ERA
animals
the wall
final cut

POST WATERS ERA
a momentary lapse of reason
the division bell

Personally, I love both Gilmour (for the airy dreamy soundscapes) and Waters (for the political, cynical, serious and overall better lyrics) and so like the Classic Era the best.

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Album time... my Floydians!

Originally posted by Zootlesque

It all depends on the popularity of a Floyd poll in a U2 site.
I hope we eventually see a very varied results chart.
After all many of those albums are really good.

I totally agree with what you're saying here ...
but, I have a feeling that "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "The Wall" will end up on top of this poll ...
no matter how long it's out here ...
as these are the overall Pink Floyd classics ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom