Euro 2008 --> The Thread. - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #361
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
Yeah I remember that Berlin has a huge Turkish population...that should make for an interesting time on Wednesday... But you're right, hopefully everyone will take whatever happens well.
Berlin is sometimes called Little Istanbul, and it's the largest Turkish city outside Turkey. But you know what parts of the city to avoid, and all in all they are pretty peaceful I'd say.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #362
Blue Crack Supplier

Whoa! Talk about a narrow save indeed (by the Turkish).
I thought that Croatia was slightly better during the game, but not good enough to make the difference.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #363
War Child

just one word - CRAP!!!!
it's just painfull
Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:56 AM
What a tournament it's been

See what happens when the Poms aren't involved, it's an absoulte ripper of a major footballing event
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Im sure the home nations have missed our much needed cash
Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #366
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:56 PM
This is for the Americans: Guys, do you know if they are even broadcasting the Netherlands Russia match? I don't see it anywhere on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic schedules!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #367
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
This is for the Americans: Guys, do you know if they are even broadcasting the Netherlands Russia match? I don't see it anywhere on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic schedules!
ABC
Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #368
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Switzerland and Austria need cash ???

I dunno, every game looks a full house, plus there will be less property damage to pay fo rlater. I'd say the home nations are quite happy without Eng-ur-land there.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #369
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
ABC
Thank you!!! Completely forgot about ABC!

Phew!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #370
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Nah! As long as the Dutch are there, plenty of cash is spent.
(I believe they're expecting about 100,000 Dutch people in Basel today!!!)
Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #371
An Interferer

Local Time: 12:56 PM
I'll be teaching a Dutch language class first and after that I'm heading to the pub again to watch the game with a whole lot of other Dutch people, that live here in the Bay Area.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #372
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Switzerland and Austria need cash ???

I dunno, every game looks a full house, plus there will be less property damage to pay fo rlater. I'd say the home nations are quite happy without Eng-ur-land there.

Of course everyone needs cash. England bring the most fans to any Tournament apart from the side hosting and thats a fact. We fill the stadiums and we fill the bars and hotels. Every nation has its trouble causers, i do remember there being a mini riot between the German and Polish fans and believe me if every English fan that came to a tournament were trouble causers we really could quite literally stage some sort of take over and over throw the government

I actually find it some what racist to associate the English with violence. You dont see the english folk in this thread calling the Germans Nazi's and the Austria's son's of hitler and the Italians poor Pizza makers.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #373
Refugee

Quote:
Of course everyone needs cash. England bring the most fans to any Tournament apart from the side hosting and thats a fact. We fill the stadiums and we fill the bars and hotels. Every nation has its trouble causers, i do remember there being a mini riot between the German and Polish fans and believe me if every English fan that came to a tournament were trouble causers we really could quite literally stage some sort of take over and over throw the government

I actually find it some what racist to associate the English with violence. You dont see the english folk in this thread calling the Germans Nazi's and the Austria's son's of hitler and the Italians poor Pizza makers.
The stadiums are already full, as are the hotels and bars. 200,000 in the city last night, don't know that it would be any "fuller" if the English were there.

It's not racism to associate the English with football-fan violence, it's just fact, dating back to the early 80's. Funny, I don't seem to remember they were bad in the 70's.

Every major tournament since the 82 World Cup except WC2002 the English have been involved in violence outbreaks. And that was probably donly ue to the distance/costs involved to get there.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #374
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
calling the Germans Nazi's

One of the greatest side-effects of the last World Cup here in Germany is that it has gone back dramatically calling us Nazis and such which I find is quite some progress (that's meant in general, I wouldn't suspect anyone here).

On the other hand, German hooligans have caused serious trouble either, worst beating up the French policeman who till this day suffers from his severe head injuries.

I think the problems with riots have decreased also because the host countries are now doing much more to prevent hooligans from coming to the events. Austria for example is now doing border control for the time of the Euro, and the police of the host countries has worked together with the police from guest countries in previous years, and does so this time again.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #375
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, but neither Switzerland nor Austria are missing the cash of the English, our stadiums are full, the hotels and bars are full and there is seriously no more place for any more fans in the cities. It's sad for the English people that their team couldn't qualify for the Euro, but to make a statement like this is a little ignorant. Other teams and fans have to deal with disappointments as well, you have to be able to lose as well.

And it IS a fact that a lot of people here are reliefed that the English fans stay out. I don't say that they are all violent, in fact, some of them may be and some not, but based on past experiences, there was quite some concern about the English fans (that was before England was out of the EURO).

We had some smaller riots yesterday after Turkey won and Croatia lost, but it was only minor and really nothing compared to the number of fans that were celebrating in the city.

Tags
euro 2008, wogball