Endzone Celebrations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What do you think of NFL Touchdown Celebrations?
Love 'em. They add to the entertainment value of the game. 10 55.56%
Like them, but they're begining to go too far. 2 11.11%
Indifferent. 1 5.56%
A little team celebrating is fine, but don't draw attention to yourself. 3 16.67%
Just hand the damn ball to the ref and jog to the sideline, damn it! 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Endzone Celebrations

Alright for those of you who didn't see last night's Giants-Saints game... you were most fortunate 'cause it was some horrific football, especially on the Giants side. But anyhoo... there was one moment in the game that will stick out... Joe Horn celebrating a touchdown by pulling out a strategicly placed cell phone and calling his family from the end zone. Earlier in the day, Chad Johnson of EP's beloved Bungles took out a sign reading "Dear NFL, PLEASE don't fine me AGAIN!!!!!"

Now the question i raise is this... have touchdown celebrations gone too far? When is it just celebrating, and when is it taunting? We all know what Terrell Owens did last year with the Sharpie and later with the pom-poms. Is it too much? Should it be stopped, and should heavier fines be issued in order to stop it?

My own personal opinion is this... if you're going to allow players to dance in the endzone, you might as well allow them to get even more elaborate in their celebrations... ala Owens, Horn & Johnson. As long as it's not directed at a player or coach on the opposing team, I see no problem with Horn's celebration. I take more offense at linemen who make a tackle or sack in the backfiled and start gyrating for about 30 yards on first in 10 on the opening drive of the game. I don't think that's taunting... i just think it's stupid. Celebrating in the endzone has become part of the game, and as long as it's not directly taunting an opponent, I don't see the problem. What's really the difference between ripping out a sharpie, sign or cell phone compared to, say, the Lambeau Leap? Both draw attention to the individual player, and both are done largely for the entertainment of the fans. If you allow one, you've got to allow the others. Just my .02... lemme know what ya think.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Love it, CJ is the man......

Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

i think they can be funny if done right, i thought the phone stunt was a bit forced and not really funny. it was a wannabe sharpie incident, which was classic. if you can think of something fun, original, and entertaining, then hey go for it, but if you can only think of something lame you're betteroff just giving the ball to the ref.

plus, there are certain times and places for these things. tj duckett scored a td yesterday when his team was losing by 31 and he did a dance. you're losing by 31 man, dont dance.

one last beef i have with the nfl is they dont allow team celebrations, because it is considered "taunting." but one jackass dancing around is the same taunting as a few a few jackasses, so thats just stupid. i miss the bob 'n weave
Old 12-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I think placing props like a cell phone is going a bit too far. Haslett was quite pleased with Horn after that one.
TO's pom-pom routine last year was hilarious. I'm all for a little spontaneous, non-taunting celebration. But hiding electronic devices in anticpation of a score is taking the spirit out of it.
Side note: That cell phone has been hidden under the padding since week 3 waiting for Horn to score.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:37 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

i see where you're going with the "spontaneous" thing... but i seriously doubt any celebration TO does is truely spontaneous... he plans them all out in advance... including the pom-poms.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I love end zone celebrations and feel they make the game more entertaining, fun, and memorable. Dating back to the days of the Redskins' Fun Bunch, through the Icky Shuffle and all the rest, I have enjoyed watching them.

I am very much against taunting, though. I especially hated Michaled Ervin, the way he used to hold the ball back behind him knowing the CB couldn't catch him as he arrogantly galloped across the finish line. I also hate to see the thumbing of the ball in the defensive player's face. BUT I don't see most end zone celebrations as taunting. To me there is a BIG difference between celebrating your own happiness and gloating in the misfortune of others. If I were a ref, I would penalize arrogant balls shoved in the face, and maybe even the guy slowing down to baby step over the goal line when he sees he has blown everyone else away. I would especially penalize verbal abuse and taunts from one player to another that could lead to a bench clearing fight. (those can be entertaining too, but are not good for the game.) But KEEP the dances, the spikes, the slam dunks, the cool, funny hand gestures, pointing to Heaven, praying on one knee, and the hugs and jumps. I really hate to hear the game referred to as a 'business' and the attitude the player should just hand the ball to the ref and walk away. How boring. If I wanted businessmen, I'd go stand outside an office building. Happy celebrations and fun are part of what sports is about, and I think it makes it better for the players, fans, and networks with higher ratings, so therefore the commercials will do better, and everyone's happy.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
Refugee

maybe horn's looking for a cell phone endorsement?

i
Old 12-15-2003, 03:38 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
Love it, CUJO is the man......
Oh yes. and a tool for doctoring as well.

I support these rituals. They give me reason to live in those vacant moments before commercials.

Faves:

The boudoir pose
The semi-automatic sprinkler posse gundown
throat slash followed by eyebrow raise and tap on chin
and of course, the good old fashioned spin of the pigskin.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:26 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I like the slam dunk on the goal post...and sunday's fade away jumper.

Lambeau Leap is cool as heck too.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:51 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

i do have respect for the guys who just hand the ball to the ref though

they have the attitude that hey, its no big deal, ive done it before and im gonna do it again

not celebrating is almost more of a slap in the face to the other team than dancing around like a jackass. it's telling the other team, hey i expected to score, this is no big deal, i dont need to celebrate something that was so easy.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

i completely agree on that one chiz... where as i don't mind the elaborate endzone celebrations... the best taunt of all is simply not saying a word and letting the scoreboard do the talking
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #12
Refugee

The endzone celebration is best used when you score a big touchdown in a game...not when you're beating up on a team.

But they're entertaining as hell in my opinion...which the NFL needs sometimes.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

one last point i want to make is when it is premeditated, it is much more about self promotion than just pure exuberance of making a great play. it's all about, hey look at me and how great i am. thats why i feel team celebrations are better, as its about the team being happy rather than one guy self promoting.

the truly great ones dont need gimmicks or silly dancing to get the attention. look at joe montana, dan marino, jerry rice, jim brown, barry sanders, even marshall faulk, they let their playing ability be their self promotion, not some of this other nonsense.

but i dont know if you can blame players for doing that kind of stuff, look at deion sanders who was a master of it. he created a whole new persona as "prime time" (much like macphisto) and in turn was one of the most talked about and highly regarded players. he made much more money because of the antics he pulled. sure you may lose some credibility, but isnt it all about the benjamins?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

my favorite quote from a coach before a game concerning touchdown celebrations: "pretend like you have been there before."
Old 12-16-2003, 07:51 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

yea it's strange... i actually use the "act like you've done it before" line on my own high school basketball players, yet i don't have a problem with the nfl guys celebrating like idiots in the endzone go figure... i dunno... pro sports isn't "just a game," as many people like to say... it's entertainment and it's a business. so stuff that would annoy the crap out of me if a high school kid did it don't seem to bother me in the pro's