"Emo" music - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2002, 10:46 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Yeah... and LPark have never been considered Emo.. but Jimmy Eat World surely are.

I Starsailor. They are incredible.

Old 06-25-2002, 10:49 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
Yeah... and LPark have never been considered Emo.. but Jimmy Eat World surely are.

I Starsailor. They are incredible.
Really...LPark isn't emo....and Jimmy is? I'm so out of touch with the youth today. ok, back to Starsailor and The Hives, both of which are NOT emo [especially not The Hives]

Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Through the influence of a friend of mine I have earned to hate the term emo.

I also know that a true 'emoite' would probably hate you guys labeling Jimmy Eat World or Creed as Emo, they pride themselves on being in a subculture and following bands that nobody has heard of.
You'll want to check out Bright Eyes if you want a real taste of emo, they're the kings of it.
The music is actually quite alright but the lyrics are so hopeless and disparing that even me, a self professed depresso-maniac, that get annoyed by it.
There has to be some balance in your music afterall, I think.

Also, check out this site.
Do you fall under one of these categories?
Are You Emo??
Old 06-25-2002, 11:08 PM   #19
The Fly

Linkin Park = Emo? Creed = Emo? ::shudders::

Dashboard Confessional is often used as an example of Emo. So many bands and so many fans of bands claim 'emo this' and 'emo that'... The word 'emo' has begun to get a bad rap. Rivers Cuomo of Weezer loathes his band being called emo, but they're often labeled as that. It's so hard to say whether you like or hate emo, because it seems as though everyone has different definitions of it. The day Creed becomes Emo is a dark day indeed. I don't know where Linkin Park fits in. Usually, mild punk bands seem to mistakenly be labeled as Emo...

We could argue for hours about what bands are emo and what bands aren't. I'm in high school no, and well, that's basically what the music scene is here with the 'young people' in New Jersey. You have to have some knowledge on this sort of thing. I think it's better to be Emo than to be a Teenybopper. I think the majority of teens infact are NOT teenyboppers. That's one pet peeve most of my generation have- I've noticed it around the forum, adolescents are often labeled as 'happy stupid kids who go for Linkin Park and N'sync.' Not true.

Jimmy Eat World is good, very popular. Emo? Debatable. But it's very hard to give examples since many people associate Emo with Depressing-Punk. Emo isn't just songs about depression, emotion is the key word. I think Emo is a very trivial word though, cause don't U2 songs display emotion? U2 is definitely not Emo, more like mainstream rock... I'd like Dashboard more if all of their songs weren't about having a lack of self esteem. The Getupkids, Saves the Day, never ever expected those names to come up on this kind of message board.

Bleh, to sum up this post: Hard to classify Emo, hard to give opinion on it. Better to like Emo music than to like Teenybopper pop music or Rap. Emo is very much adolescent-sounding, which is the reason why many adolescents listen to it. And I don't really have an opinion on it: don't hate it, don't love it. Give me some U2!

Basstrap- just saw that emo site. So true. Scary.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Not sure how Creed was brought into this as an Emo example.. They are the bastard child of arena rock that just got out of the asylum.

As for Emo, and whoever band of the week that is labeled Emo, it's all subjective..

I do find the male singers very whiney. Chris Carrabba is such a whiner. That Unplugged episode he just did was silly. The lyrics aren't bad, though. Just very adolescent. Not a bad thing. Adolescence is a very deep period of one's life.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-25-2002, 11:46 PM   #21

OMG! I saw the website, that sounds so much like my brother its not even funy! And the girls part sorta sounds like me[like with the braclet, headband, belt, bands, and bag, I also got the glasses but I only use them to read.]

I am such a geek!

Old 06-26-2002, 12:06 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:43 PM

Ms. Hello told me in confidence she SECRETLY DIGS Creed.

DB9

My bro just turned me on to StarSailor
Old 06-26-2002, 12:30 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Ms. Hello told me in confidence she SECRETLY DIGS Creed.

DB9

My bro just turned me on to StarSailor

WATCH IT, DIAMOND DOG.

Or I'll be forced to tell the Forum about the panty incident.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:18 PM   #24

Panty incident??? Hmmmmmmm