educate me please, this thing called hockey is really foreign to me - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 11:53 AM
educate me please, this thing called hockey is really foreign to me

seeing that i am from the south and all my knowledge base of this sport is pretty limited and i am not ashamed to admit it. and even though i have dated a guy who played hockey, my understanding of this sport is pretty rusty. and yes i know there are many links like hockey 101 for the ignornant gal that i am, but i am hoping that all you hockey lovers can shed some light and provide me with some basic understanding of the rules and of the sport.

please

Old 05-21-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Well, Miss Velvet, what exactly would you like to know. Ask me anything. I thought you were quite the expert though!

Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Hockey is a game played on a field of slippery, frozen water; although it is actually a form of ritualistic combat where men tie sharp metal knives to the bottom of their boots and arm themselves with hooked clubs with which to beat, slash and maim their opponents. The name itself is probably derived from the verb 'to hack'. In addition to giving the combatants great speed, their sharp foot-blades also serve to inflict deep dueling scars, sever digits and generally disfigure the opposing team members.

As a minor handicap, the combating players are required to propel a small, hard, black disc across the ice field while engaging in mortal combat, and between forays, attempt to flick this circular disc into a net protected by an armed guard.

This is of little interest to the spectators who are far more amused by such tactics as 'boarding' whereby one player attempts to crush all the bones in his opponents body by slamming him into the wooden barrier lining the ice field. The wildest cheers, however, are reserved for the moment when all the players remove their gloves and try to force each other into the net.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
lol apparently i can fool many with my knowledge. let's see. i guess start with the basics of the game. you know, like rules, # of players, equipment stuff like that.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's a good overview.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

michael, commenting on how hot 19 year old guys are doesnt constitute hockey knowledge.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:49 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, just because he's hotter than the Devils who should know all about "heat", doesn't give you the right to be jealous.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

ok, i understand you need a stick to reach into the curves of the boards so when you shoot do you need to put all of your weight into it?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

oh man, this sounds like to big of a task for me

good luck with it mikey
Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Man, i can't quote tonight! What was the question? lol
Old 05-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

oh man, this sounds like to big of a task for me

good luck with it mikey

what do you mean? do you not know how to explain the game?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:56 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
The wildest cheers, however, are reserved for the moment when all the players remove their gloves and try to force each other into the net.
how about when the puck goes into the net. isn't that more exciting?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:00 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

ok, 25 players suit up for a game

5 players for a team on the ice at a time, plus a goalie

3 forwards and 2 defenseman

a left wing, a center wing, and a right wing form "a line", lines are changed every 1-2 minutes, hockey is unique as you can change players while the game is going on, called "on the fly"

so if you hear the term "line change", that means they are changing players

there are 4 different lines, 1 or 2 are usually scoring lines, than a defensive line and a big goon line

it is kind of the same for defense, but they are called pairs, because there are 2 of them

there is only 3 pairings of defensemen, and they change the same way the offensive lines do

so 4 lines * 4 players = 16

and 3 defensive pairings * 2 = 6

so thats 22 players there, there is then 2 goalies which makes 24 players, and then there is usually an extra defenseman, sometimes an extra forward

and that makes up the 25 players

that is your first lesson
Old 05-22-2003, 12:01 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, that is much more exciting. But in order to get to that goal, you need the right projectile and you do have to put significant weight into the bullseye. Otherwise, there's no way you can get in, whether you are shooting to score, or simply assisting someone else get into position. Sometimes, it requires one to make the perfect pass. In such a case, you hardly need to worry. It's usally a done deal.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

here is the hockey rink

they key lines are the red line in the middle, the 2 blue lines inbetween the red line and the goals, and the 2 goal lines.

you can never pass the puck over 2 lines, if it is it's called a "2 line pass" and whistled dead.

also, a player can never go past the blue line into the offensive zone before the puck, that is known as "offsides," and is whistled dead again.

and lastly, you cant shoot the puck from behind the center red line, past the goal line, or that is called "icing," and the faceoff goes all the way to the other end of the ice.