Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were just saying on the news recently about the 'big one' coming and where you should and should not be and yadda yadda.. and then we get one. Kinda freaky.

In all honesty, i think out of every 'natural' disaster there is, if i had to choose,
id chose to be in an earthquake over any other disaster.
Ive been through so many, i actually quite like them.
When i was a kid traveling with my parents through some small town trying to get to North Dakota,
a freak tornado came.
It wrapped big rigs around telephone poles and impaled cows onto wooden fences.
I remember we stopped the car and ran to a farm house (yes, i know...wtf?),
my mom had me only by the collar of my coat and i was flipping in the wind like a kite.
Ill never forget that.
Earthquakes are quick, no drowning necessary.
And no running to farm houses where Buffalo Bill lives.

tiny dancer said:
Glad to hear that everyone is alright. In mine part of the country, we get tornados, bizzards, aand floods.
Wow, thats alot to have to be in constant fear of.
Im sure each has its own season.
Cali doesnt have that stuff (some flooding, but Californians dont know how to handle it...you'de think it was Armaggedon), but you never know when they are going to happen.
Part of its charm...
Plus we dont have to come up with some stupid name for our quakes.

Last edited:
Man any news about a quake in the Bay Area freaks me out.
They're long overdue for a devastating quake on that fault, according to a lot of seismologists.

Little ones dont really freak me out but the big ones we've had before are definately scary.

A 4.7 is still a little jolt, if you felt it. Glad you are okay Sicy :hug:

Hubby moved some photo albums out of a wood cabinet we have in the living room. Said it would be a safe place to crawl into if we have an earthquake. Maybe my daugther could fit into it, but not me! (or the cat, of course)

Weird, I was at work and we didn't feel anything. And we usually make a huge deal out of even the little tremors (go through detailed building inspections, etc).

Glad all is well.

I am terrified of earthquakes, though I've never experience one big enough oto feel. In west Michigan we get plenty of severe storms, some floods, a good amount of tornadoes, more blizzards and ice storms that you can imagine, but you get used to it. It just seems like big earthquakes mean big mudslides mean hundreds of thousands of people trapped or dead. I'd take a hurricane, blizzard, or tornado anyday - at least you can see these on the radar.

Didn't feel anything either.
Probably has to do with the time.
5.24 AM

This is exactly what I'm most scared off: the major one happening in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping on the level ground of an appartment building and the entire building collapsing on top of me.
On the other hand, if I'm asleep, I won't notice and kinda die "peacefully".

In the 5 years that I've lived here.
I have only felt 1 earthquake.
And it happened when I just moved here.
Back in 2001.
I totally didn't realize what was happening.
I heard the windows rattling/vibrating and thought a big truck had just driven too close passed them with too much speed.
Then it registered that the floor was also rolling slightly.
By the time I fully understood what was going on, it was already over.

So like, we just had another earthquake.. 4.4 about 50 miles from me, but I felt it.

I thought I was just buzzed :drunk: :lol:

When I was in Japan last summer there was apparently a fairsized earthquake and I definently didn't feel a thing, which is sorta strange since, having never felt one before, you'd thnk I'd notice this new thing :shrug:

Sicy said:
We just had another earthquake.. 4.4 about 50 miles from me, but I felt it.

And again I didn't feel it.
But I think I'm further down south than you are, Sicy.
And around that time (8.08 PM) I just headed out to go eat dinner.

It was kind of cool actually.. I felt like this wave came over me for a few seconds, and I looked at my drink and the liquid in it was moving. But then I looked over at the cats and they were sound asleep so I thought I was just imagining things because I thought cats were supposed to freak out during earthquakes :lol:

I felt the couch move a little. At first I thought it was my dog leaning against it, but she was in the other room.

This worries me. Two earthquakes happening in a short amount of time.

It's not really a cause for concern. There are literally hundreds of quakes in any given week in California.

I did not feel the earthquake, I was driving at the time. I remember the 1989 earthquake so vividly still. Like someone said earlier, Northern CA is so fucked. We are long over due for a big one.

Diemen said:
I felt the couch move a little. At first I thought it was my dog leaning against it, but she was in the other room.

Your dog has the ability to move couches with people sitting in them?! See, I'd be more worried about that than a few tremors. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom