Dumping a tv show. Does it pain you so? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:27 PM
I don't watch very many TV shows but tend to get emotionally attached to the ones I do watch, so my break-ups with them tend to be painful.

I was a total X-Files addict, but the second Scully said the fatal words, "I'm pregnant" I was outta there. I knew it would ruin the show. I was bitter about it for a long, long time.

I also loved the Gilmore Girls right up until the time Rory slept with her married ex-boyfriend and then tried to justify her actions by saying he was her first boyfriend and belonged to her or some such nonsense. I kind of wanted to keep watching to see what happened after Luke and Lorelei finally kissed, but I wasn't quite invested enough in them as a couple to put up with Rory.

I can't remember exactly when I bailed on Smallville. I think it was when I began to see a Lex Luthor/Lana Lane romance on the horizon. Retch! What would a badass, sophisticated guy like Lex see in that whiny little girl?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #17
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:27 PM
I was waiting for Otis to pop up in Smallville.

"Mr. Lu-thor!"

That show didn't get any real substance until last season when Braniac and the Justice League members were introduced.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I watched X-Files 'til the bitter end, but unfortunately, I'm still a little bitter about it.
And indeed, it was a bitter, bitter end.

Anyway, I was going to say I'm currently debating about whether or not to totally bail on 24. It used to be must-see TV for me. But now I find myself missing episodes and *not* frantically trying to catch up with them over the Internet or on iTunes because I know they're going to be boring.

... and I didn't have a choice about dumping Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip earlier this year. NBC dumped it. Not me.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 AM
I was addicted to "Lost" the first season, but it became a big pile of meh in the second season. I tried watching "Grey's Anatomy," but it's just "Melrose Place" in scrubs. And the appeal of Meredith is completely lost on me.

I was a huge fan of "Friends," but by the last couple of seasons I didn't care if I missed an episode or not. The same thing with "ER."
Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't feel guilty dropping a show. The ones I dropped this year are:

CSI Miami
Desparate Housewives
Without a Trace
Survivor
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I was a huge X-Files lover but I too go to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. Was a sad day when I realized that I really didn't care if I missed an episode .

I dumped the Real World this season. My interest in that show just dwindled away
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I went sort of the opposite way. I dumped "Heroes" about halfway through the season. It's a good show, but it's just too ridiculous for me.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #23
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:27 PM
I don't worry so much about dumping a TV show anymore but I can relate to what Trev said in starting this thread. I've felt that way before. These days it's so easy to catch up or go back and watch things again what with TiVo, DVR, DVDs and seeing things on the internet. It's no biggie anymore. I do, however get all freaked at the start of a season if there's a couple things I wanna watch all on at the same time! Yikes! But it always works out.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by jobob

Anyway, I was going to say I'm currently debating about whether or not to totally bail on 24. It used to be must-see TV for me. But now I find myself missing episodes and *not* frantically trying to catch up with them over the Internet or on iTunes because I know they're going to be boring.
I dumped it a few weeks ago, after the episode when they secured the nukes (which was fantastic, I thought.) The epi was wrapping up and I found myself thinking, "So what are they going to do for the rest of the season?" Then Jack got a call from Audrey, and I decided right then and there that I was done. I'm sure I'll start watching again next year, but I can really do without an Audrey-in-peril storyline.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

X-Files was a painful breakup for me as well. I've never been (and probably never will be) so addicted to watching it. I'd watch it twice! When it aired on Fridays, our network played the same episode again at 11pm. So, yes, I'd watch it both times (I was a young lass with hardly any friends in school. My closest friends were also devoted fans, so we'd either watch together or call inbetween airings to discuss.)

Thankfully, my first year of college was military, so we rats weren't allowed to watch TV. I had the pleasure of missing out on X-Files' downward spiral during that time. I heard how much it sucked from my friends, so Ive missed much of the final seasons. It sucked to let go of the show, but I was glad it was out of my control.

Side note: I hear rumors AGAIN about a new movie in the works. I think I'd be more excited if they had went back in time to kidnap Chris Carter from the early 90s and get him to write the script.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I basically gave up on this season of Survivor. I don't feel sad b/c for the past 5 episodes I'd start watching and then find myself on the computer in another room or something. Now, I watch the last 10 minutes because I'm waiting in anticipation of CSI.
The last two episodes of Survivor have so been worth watching what, up until then, had been a pretty lackluster season.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Not really. But I don't have time to watch much TV.

These days I only really watch House and Grey's regularly. ANTM and The Amazing Race are nice ways to relax but I'm not obsessive about catching them. Because I'm so busy, I don't watch anything that doesn't hold my interest, and it's not too tough.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:27 PM
I dropped Family Guy about a year ago when it got painfully unfunny.

Recently I watched a few older episodes of it on DVD and wondered how I ever though those were funny.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #29
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I forgot about Family Guy, I dropped that show like an ugly baby.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #30
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
I dropped Family Guy about a year ago when it got painfully unfunny.

Recently I watched a few older episodes of it on DVD and wondered how I ever though those were funny.
Thank you. I thought I was the only person on the planet (my age, at least) who doesn't think that show is funny.