Drew Carey Injured On 'Price Is Right' Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Price Sends Drew on Down to Hospital
Mon Aug 13, 9:50 AM

Is the curse of Bob Barker already at work?

We're not sure if it's time for Drew Carey to start honing his voodoo, but apparently The Price Is Right isn't taking too kindly to its new host.

Carey was injured on the set Friday while rehearsing the Grocery Game, a classic challenge that requires contestants to guess the correct price of household goods.

While operating the game's spinning turntable, Carey somehow got caught up in the machinery, hurting his appendage.

He was examined at an area hospital and later returned to work with his hand in a splint, according to a CBS spokesperson, who said Carey was "very proudly showing people photos of the injury on his iPhone."

Carey was announced as Bob Barker's successor on the long-running game show last month, following the former host's retirement after 35 years on the job.

"The nicest wish I can have for Drew is that The Price Is Right is as good for him as it was for me," Barker said in a statement after Carey's hiring was made public.

Seeing as Barker managed to make it through three and a half decades on the show unscathed, it seems Carey has his work cut out for him.

The new host was chosen from a pool of contenders that, among others, included Rosie O'Donnell, George Hamilton and John O'Hurley.

His first Price outing is due to air next month.

Carey also serves as the host of CBS' new prime-time game show Power of 10, which debuted last week.

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
Is the curse of Bob Barker already at work?

Seeing as Barker managed to make it through three and a half decades on the show unscathed, it seems Carey has his work cut out for him.

And this was ONLY Carey's first day ?? :ohmy:
I wonder if he'll 'make it through' a whole season alive !! :lol:

Originally posted by AngelofHarlem01
how do you get hurt doing the 'grocery game' :giggle:

Exactly right !! :up:

It seems their was a mention of a 'spinning turntable' that caused Carey's injury. :scratch:

In the grocery game ... Barker used to just have the announcer describe the products and then Barker himself would lift up the price tag that showed the item's price on it, after a contestant chose how many of that particular item they wanted. Then one of Barker's 'Beauties' would total the price tag item's amount on the cash register.
So, when did the grocery game ever have a spinning turntable involved ?? :shrug:

I wonder if it was actually the Grocery Game that they were playing !! :hmm:

"appendage"???

I think he is taking that whole have your pet spayed or neutered thing too far!!!

That's what I thought when it said "appendage" but then they said his HAND was in a splint so...

And the grocery game did have a turn table, the groceries were sitting on it

I'm glad I actually saw the Grocery Game on today's rerun episode.
Now, I understand what they mean when they mentioned 'operating the game's spinning turntable' and what that actually is. :wink:

The game doesn't actually need a turntable to play it. The spinning turntable is used when the revolving mechanism in the floor is activated to open an enclosed space behind the wall. The carpeted floor turns around (along with the wall) ... (that is what the spinning turntable does) and then you see whatever is behind that section ... in this case, the counter with the store products and one of Barker's Beauties standing behind the cash register. :up:

Not every game needs the spinning turntable to expose the game itself ... (for instance, during the Safecracker game or even the Lucky Seven game, the doors just open up to reveal the game behind the wall section, as a turntable is NOT needed.

Here's some other games that involve that spinning turntable ... The 'Clock' Game and The 'Any Number' Game. Also there are some games were it appears to be rolled out in front of our own view (right in the middle of the stage) ... such as: Plinko, The 'Hole In One Or Two' Game and the "High Low' Game.

So ... it would seem that Carey MUST have been standing too close to the enclosed area ... and when the section spun around ... BAM !! ... he unfortunately got hit by the wall or maybe he tripped on the cut-out section in the floor and fell down !! :tsk:

I used to always wait for someone to get sucked under the big wheel!!:hyper:

:shifty:

I don't think it looked too back, either. Just a cut and a few bruises. :shrug:

I'm kinda wonderin' if the show's producers will 'hold off' taping more episodes until Carey's splint is removed ?? :hmm:

It would be rather revealing to have Carey playing Game Show Host while exposing that splint to the camera.

After he purposely mentioned how he was "very proudly showing people photos of the injury on his iPhone" ...
I doubt CBS wants another public reminder of Carey's injury.

It's a very difficult situation, no matter how you look at it.

The producers are not happy about it, in fact I read they were now disappointed with Carey being the host.

And all because of an unfortunate accident.

Totally ridiculous. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom