Dominican Republic Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
I have Church in a half hour, but will be back around 10:15 (2:15 for you).

id say that by not going to church anymore that i enjoy sleeping in on my sundays, however that's obviously not true. i do like that i'm just chillin out maxin relaxin all cool right now

unico said:
id say that by not going to church anymore that i enjoy sleeping in on my sundays, however that's obviously not true. i do like that i'm just chillin out maxin relaxin all cool right now

Go shoot some bball outside of the school.

I hate it, and as soon as I go to college I'm stopping. After college, I might start up again. But not while I'm there.

phillyfan26 said:

So far:

- Varitek and NSW insult Philly. :angry:
- Everyone discusses FYM going to shit due to posters like Sting2 and AchtungBono; you question why the two haven't hooked up.

:lol:

There are a few FYM posters that piss me off: Sting2, AchtungBono, Diamond, and, I think most of all, Indy500. 2816 can be annoying but is semi-reasonable compared to the other four.

FYM conservatives are really a piss-poor representation of the party.

I like that I've been to church on a Sunday morning three times in my whole life.

Twice, due to unfortunate circumstances, to a Southern Baptist church in Tennessee. :shudder:

Once to a mundane non-denominational Protestant church in Queensland. :snooze:

phillyfan26 said:

Go shoot some bball outside of the school.

I hate it, and as soon as I go to college I'm stopping. After college, I might start up again. But not while I'm there.

you might actually find you like the campus ministry. i hated church growing up because people were so fucking shallow, and only cared about appearance. the churches here really made me feel isolated. however the campus ministry did provide a really nice community, and it made me start going to church again.

i hear the university i work for has a good campus ministry. but i haven't gone. i've been so shook up i don't know what to believe anymore. so...for now, no church for me.

i do occasionally visit my franciscan friends. i miss that community. everytime i go there i feel embraced and connected to them by a force bigger than myself. it's hard to find something like that in these suburbs though.

I only go to church for community, not because of my beliefs. My belief in most religious stances is waning.

phillyfan26 said:
There are a few FYM posters that piss me off: Sting2, AchtungBono, Diamond, and, I think most of all, Indy500. 2816 can be annoying but is semi-reasonable compared to the other four.

yeah and it's a shame. financeguy does sometimes offer an interesting conservative perspective. i wasn't in fym during the days of nbcrusader, so i missed out on that, but i heard he was great too.

2816 has grown a lot since he started posting.

phillyfan26 said:

2861 actually scares me because isn't he actually meant to be young? I first thought his screen name was his birthday, 2 August/8 February 1961. Now, it's one thing to be that unfortunately conservative if you're 46, stuck in a rut with a miserable middle class job. But I've gotten the implication he's somewhere around my age and at university, and that's just sad.

Though, full credit to him, he doesn't descend into AchtungBono's stupidity and when I called him a far right extremist, we were able to have a reasonable discussion about it.

Axver said:
I like that I've been to church on a Sunday morning three times in my whole life.

Twice, due to unfortunate circumstances, to a Southern Baptist church in Tennessee. :shudder:

Once to a mundane non-denominational Protestant church in Queensland. :snooze:

southern baptist in tennessee??? holy shit man.

Financeguy, being a non-American conservative, has pretty reasonable stances on most everything, aside from gay marriage.

Axver said:
2861 actually scares me because isn't he actually meant to be young? I first thought his screen name was his birthday, 2 August/8 February 1961. Now, it's one thing to be that unfortunately conservative if you're 46, stuck in a rut with a miserable middle class job. But I've gotten the implication he's somewhere around my age and at university, and that's just sad.

Though, full credit to him, he doesn't descend into AchtungBono's stupidity and when I called him a far right extremist, we were able to have a reasonable discussion about it.

He's 19 or 20.

AchtungBono isn't American, and doesn't understand the concept of our country, in all honesty.

phillyfan26 said:
Financeguy, being a non-American conservative, has pretty reasonable stances on most everything, aside from gay marriage.

yeah...that's the only stance i think that i just don't understand of his. perhaps it is just my ignorance though? i thought that anyone opposing gay marriage was doing so because of a religious stance. fg is athiest i think...so i just don't get it.

unico said:
i wasn't in fym during the days of nbcrusader, so i missed out on that, but i heard he was great too.

nbc was a good guy. I lurked during the end of his time. I respected him and I wish he'd come back to offset diamond, AchtungBono, et al.

He tried to summarize his arguments in a recent thread, and it was almost painful to watch. Really stupid. For the most part, I like his views and think he puts American conservatives to shame, but .... wow.

unico said:

southern baptist in tennessee??? holy shit man.

Apparently this church was Southern Baptist by convenience and is about as liberal as they come. They'd thought about going independent but it was easier not to.

Which just made me even more terrified of what the seriously dedicated Southern Baptists must be like.

i've tried to not post in FYM anymore. this election has me jaded and disappointed, and i'm sure spinning in circles with that forum will just magnify that. i try to stay away from those threads now.

phillyfan26 said:

He's 19 or 20.

AchtungBono isn't American, and doesn't understand the concept of our country, in all honesty.

Dear God.

AchtungBono is just an extremist nut. I've said as much to her. She is to politics as trolls are to messageboards. I pointblank will not interact with her any more. She needs help.

unico said:

same here. i guess that's "growing up". i kinda miss having something to believe in though.

For me, not believing in anything felt like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. When I finally posted on my blog that I'm an agnostic, I'd essentially been an agnostic for at least 18 months with a veneer of theism, and it just felt so good to not have to play games any more, even though I was terrified what certain people I highly respect would think.

Axver said:

Apparently this church was Southern Baptist by convenience and is about as liberal as they come. They'd thought about going independent but it was easier not to.

Which just made me even more terrified of what the seriously dedicated Southern Baptists must be like.

i went to one when i was in blacksburg and i felt really awkward. i didn't like how they needed to know all my contact information. i had to wear a nametag and it was obvious i was new. i only went to accompany my friend, who was having a rough time.

unico said:

i went to one when i was in blacksburg and i felt really awkward. i didn't like how they needed to know all my contact information. i had to wear a nametag and it was obvious i was new. i only went to accompany my friend, who was having a rough time.

Wow, really? That would be extraordinarily uncomfortable. I'd have probably just walked out. Luckily this place didn't do anything like that. It had about 3,000 people and I could at least disappear into the crowd ... and wonder how the fuck so many crazy people could exist. I was pale when I left. And, well, you know I'm albino. It's not easy for me to look any more pale!

Axver said:

For me, not believing in anything felt like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. When I finally posted on my blog that I'm an agnostic, I'd essentially been an agnostic for at least 18 months with a veneer of theism, and it just felt so good to not have to play games any more, even though I was terrified what certain people I highly respect would think.

see for me...it's not really the same. i don't even feel comfortable saying i'm agnostic. it has nothing to do with what others think. it's what i feel. i used to feel so connected. my spiritual experience was solid and very internal. i used to meditate daily. i felt something, i really did. otherwise i wouldn't have stuck with it. so i just say "i don't kknow what to believe anymore." because i really don't. and i don't want to keep feeling like this either. i just want whatever it was i had back.

i used to feel like i had a place in this world, a purpose in the lives of others. now i just feel lost and detached.

unico said:
see for me...it's not really the same. i don't even feel comfortable saying i'm agnostic. it has nothing to do with what others think. it's what i feel. i used to feel so connected. my spiritual experience was solid and very internal. i used to meditate daily. i felt something, i really did. otherwise i wouldn't have stuck with it. so i just say "i don't kknow what to believe anymore." because i really don't. and i don't want to keep feeling like this either. i just want whatever it was i had back.

i used to feel like i had a place in this world, a purpose in the lives of others. now i just feel lost and detached.

:hug: I admit, I find that so hard to relate to, because for the brief time I was religious, I was embarrassed. I actually feel uncomfortable saying the words "Jesus" and "Christian" and whatnot. I was raised non-religious and my first religious identification was as an atheist - it was all rather weird how I became religious really. I don't think it ever suited me, and I never managed to fit in with the community.

I know what you mean about feeling something, though. As I reverted to non-belief, there were some things I wanted to cling to. That's why it was a long term process. But finally I realised I was happier letting go of them. I finally feel like I'm actually connecting with theology. When I was Christian, I felt I wanted specific answers - I wanted to justify what I believed. I usually just ended up with more questions. Now I feel like I connect with those questions and can immerse myself in knowledge, without being obliged to reach conclusions or affirm any religion's creed. Intellectual freedom is really the centre of my life, and I think agnosticism gives me that.

i personally never understood how my parents could find solace in doctrine. but they abide by it. their response is to not question things, which i think is ignorant. i guess it has to do with a difference in cognitive development. no church could ever really provide me all the answers in the world. and any one that claims to is lying.

i guess the source for my "belief" was what i felt inside. it's difficult to explain. but when i would retreat into myself, and drown out the world around me, i felt it right there. right there inside me!

it's hard to go back to something like that because it takes a lot of filtering to get to the innermost depths. a lot of revisiting of thoughts/fears that i'm just not prepared to confront right now.

i'm glad you're happy though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom