Does R.E.M. have one of the strongest catalogues ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G-d bless REM. I'll always adore them and be grateful I was just starting to love music as they were starting to make music. Real alternative heroes.

Lancemc said:
Just for the record, today and tomorrow I'm doing a full catalogue R.E.M. marathon run in itunes. I put all the albums in chronological order and started palying the whole damn list this morning. I'm currently on "Why Don't We Give It Away?" :drool:

Ha, I did that too, (except I'm missing a few songs from the early albums) and tried to listen to it all the way through from Murmur to ATS.

Mine was 153 songs and 10.2 hours, I still need to fill in some gaps from Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables.

What a big, diverse catalogue of songs REM has!

They have a great catalogue indeed. As Lancemc said, I always have to think for a while before deciding which REM album to put on!

And I think Up is their second best album, after Automatic for the People. Such great melodies....

I think they could never match their amazing indie 80's years - Murmur, Reckoning, Fables and especially Life's Rich Pageant, which is indeed one of the finest albums I've heard (the first 4 songs - possibly the strongest album opening ever; "Begin the Begin", "These Days", "Fall on Me", "Cuyahoga"). I'm not a big fan of their later work (Document and Green are solid, although I hate some songs on Green like "Stand" and "Pop Song '89").
Not a big fan of Out of Time either, although it has "Country Feedback", whose live versions are by far the best R.E.M. song and one of my favorites in music.

Never was a big fan of Automatic for the People. Monster was pretty ambitious, but it fell flat.

The only album I think it stood up to the 80's is "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", with masterpieces like "Leave" and "New Test Leper" on it.

Post-Berry work: "Up" is really cool, but "Reveal" and especially "Around the Sun" were very disappointing.

The next album indicates that it could be very rocking, so I'm looking forward to that.

Back
Top Bottom