Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i don't think one has anything to do with the other. if you think a huge band's biggest hit will help convey your point, use it. not everything has to be obscure song b.
Agreed but if your opponent used unique songs and made it work you have to give them more credit.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

That's fair. It just seems like it's always that dreary, prog/post-rock-punk-something-type of stuff on there, you know? It's a minor knock, because he puts a lot of time and effort into making lists that he's into and fit well for him, but I rarely enjoy listening to them or have that cathartic release I get with other lists of that style - purely my opinion.

His DI2 was my favorite of his as well.
Yeah, that's why I like to mix it up a bit more. My playlist ventures into some post-rock, but I try not to overload the listener with it.

And I made an effort to make sure I used a lot of different artists this time around, compared to my last two. Aside from Porcupine Tree, I have hardly any prog artists. Hell, I don't even have Pink Floyd on there this time. Who would've thought that?

In fact, if you go through all my playlists, I believe the only artists to appear every time now are U2, Springsteen, and Porcupine Tree. That's it.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

It doesn't have to do with quality or flow. You just might get a better ranking or grade because of more exotic song choices. That goes along with the creativity.
And I think that's a poor way of grading a playlist.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #469
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

And I think that's a poor way of grading a playlist.
No it's not.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #470
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
In a perfect world all people would vote like that. I think it is a matter of people not thinking the playlists through enough to give valid criticisms or positives. I hate when someone just leaves a name and that's it or someone doesn't even post. Tell us why you voted one way or another.
i know, it just sucks. phanan gave us all the time in the world to listen to the playlists, and it's obvious not everyone has. rounds 1 and 2 have been available forever, so there's no excuse as to how someone couldn't have listened to them by now.

and yeah, i know. i'm guilty of this. i didn't post in my matchup (for obvious reasons...is anyone ever going to vote against themselves?) and i don't think i've given reasons in any others. i just, i dunno. i feel like we discuss everything so much here in the superthreads, i've already said all i want/need to say about why i prefer this playlist over another. and if i really don't care for someone's, i feel bad saying theirs sucks.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

You know the Salome bootleg though made in dreary Berlin are great for the spring and summer. She's Gonna Blow Your House Down, Sunset In Colors, Morning Child and Take Today are all great for this weather.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

i know, it just sucks. phanan gave us all the time in the world to listen to the playlists, and it's obvious not everyone has. rounds 1 and 2 have been available forever, so there's no excuse as to how someone couldn't have listened to them by now.

and yeah, i know. i'm guilty of this. i didn't post in my matchup (for obvious reasons...is anyone ever going to vote against themselves?) and i don't think i've given reasons in any others. i just, i dunno. i feel like we discuss everything so much here in the superthreads, i've already said all i want/need to say about why i prefer this playlist over another. and if i really don't care for someone's, i feel bad saying theirs sucks.
Well if you can find the smallest good thing about a playlist you should say what it is. That's what I do.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

And this is for Axver when he wakes up later.

I listened to the new Russian Circles today, and I think it's excellent. It's not as heavy sounding as the first release, so I'm not sure what you'll think of it, but that's probably one of the reasons why I love it so much. The soundscapes are beautiful.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No it's not.
Counting the chart-toppers on mine and the indie tracks on his to compile a part of the grade? No, that's a bad way of grading it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #475
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Well if you can find the smallest good thing about a playlist you should say what it is. That's what I do.
for some (i'm combining the past four competitions' worth) the only good thing i can say about them is i never have to listen to them again!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #476
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Yeah, that's why I like to mix it up a bit more. My playlist ventures into some post-rock, but I try not to overload the listener with it.

And I made an effort to make sure I used a lot of different artists this time around, compared to my last two. Aside from Porcupine Tree, I have hardly any prog artists. Hell, I don't even have Pink Floyd on there this time. Who would've thought that?

In fact, if you go through all my playlists, I believe the only artists to appear every time now are U2, Springsteen, and Porcupine Tree. That's it.
Yes, you do always have the most diverse playlists, which is pretty awesome. I would've put some This Will Destroy You on mine, but I really got into them after submissions were due, next time then.

I know I reuse at least 10-15 artists each time, but it's hard not to because they're my favorites. It rely lies on what songs you pick from them, like Bowie for example. In 4 lists, you could have 4 radically different Bowie tracks... but you shouldn't be penalized for wanting to use "Heroes," for example, arguably one of his more popular, but fucking amazing tunes.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #477
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

fuck, i just ate a starburst and i really want another. i only had one. the closest thing i have is a lollipop
Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Me too. The first time I listened to the symphonic album game, I kind of felt under-whelmed. I'd heard so much hype about the games, and the other tracklists weren't as good as I was expecting. Kind of similar here, too.

The big-hitters always seem to come through, though.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #479
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Me too. The first time I listened to the symphonic album game, I kind of felt under-whelmed. I'd heard so much hype about the games, and the other tracklists weren't as good as I was expecting. Kind of similar here, too.

The big-hitters always seem to come through, though.
yeah. for me tracklists go one way or the other: i like them or i don't. and when i say like, we're talking everything: song choice, execution, how well the theme/story was conveyed, etc.

i have a question for you phanan, since you run the thing now. have you ever had to have someone revise their playlist or anything because they broke one of the rules (going over their time limit, using two songs of the same artist, etc)?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #480
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Counting the chart-toppers on mine and the indie tracks on his to compile a part of the grade? No, that's a bad way of grading it.
It is a tiny part of the grade. Like I said before I mostly judge on the experience and you both had great experiences. I just liked his more.

Tags
superthread