Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #421
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 02:10 AM
but it's fun to get packages
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 02:10 AM
i'm here for about 2 more minutes, then class is over and eits guy is gonna teach me how to lift free weights.
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #423
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Some of the criticisms of my playlist: .
You didn't challenge the bounds of popular music enough. Phail for you.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #424
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Some of the criticisms of my playlist: .
yeah. the same people who did that to yours, did that to mine. i don't get it. if you don't like it that's fine. not everyone is gonna like everything. but at least give a valid reason, show you actually listened to the playlists and didn't just glance at the lists.

at least we both won
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #425
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
I'm listening to Lance's the whole way through for the first time.

I can't believe it's still on the 2nd track.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #426
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
dead thread
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #427
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I'm listening to Lance's the whole way through for the first time.

I can't believe it's still on the 2nd track.
that's what i said.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #428
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
I love LCD Soundsystem, but that's not a song - it's dental surgery.

I never thought I'd say this, but it's starting to roll with this Neutral Milk Hotel track.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #429
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
You didn't challenge the bounds of popular music enough. Phail for you.
I don't understand Phanan's criticism of repeat artists. How in the world does John Frusciante sound anything like RHCP? Sting like The Police? Honestly, is he really worried about the name on the song that much? And I really respect Phanan, too. I just don't understand that criticism at all.

Also, the greatest hits thing that monkeyskin took off for and Screwtape alluded to. Don't get that either. I'm half convinced the decision was made before it was listened to.

So, clearly the decision's simple: first disc of more popular, traditional songs with good flow, followed by a second disc mixing prog and indie. It satisfies all kinds.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #430
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Some of the criticisms of my playlist: .
Such as?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #431
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


I don't understand Phanan's criticism of repeat artists. How in the world does John Frusciante sound anything like RHCP? Sting like The Police? Honestly, is he really worried about the name on the song that much? And I really respect Phanan, too. I just don't understand that criticism at all.

Also, the greatest hits thing that monkeyskin took off for and Screwtape alluded to. Don't get that either. I'm half convinced the decision was made before it was listened to.

So, clearly the decision's simple: first disc of more popular, traditional songs with good flow, followed by a second disc mixing prog and indie. It satisfies all kinds.
It's how some people will always go about voting for lists. To tell the truth, I don't think it's any different than people glancing at the lists and voting without hearing anything.

Even if you've heard the song before and you like it, if it's used well in a list, who the fuck cares?

Getting exposed to new music is a hell of a lot of fun, and it's the 2nd-best thing about this contest for me, but it's not fair to hit against people because they use a fairly popular song.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #432
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


I don't understand Phanan's criticism of repeat artists. How in the world does John Frusciante sound anything like RHCP? Sting like The Police? Honestly, is he really worried about the name on the song that much? And I really respect Phanan, too. I just don't understand that criticism at all.

Also, the greatest hits thing that monkeyskin took off for and Screwtape alluded to. Don't get that either. I'm half convinced the decision was made before it was listened to.

So, clearly the decision's simple: first disc of more popular, traditional songs with good flow, followed by a second disc mixing prog and indie. It satisfies all kinds.
I think Phanan's criticism is fair because you should have diversity in your playlist.

The greatest hits thing is fair too. It seems like you picked the most popular songs by some of the artists instead of having unique song choices. Other did that too. That criticism comes from me after I listened and felt the song choices weren't that great for the second disc. It is a fair criticism and something you and others should watch for.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #433
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Oh, and the last part of that referred to my strategy for my DI5 list. Semi-jokingly, of course.

I think I need to use Pink Floyd next time.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #434
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I think Phanan's criticism is fair because you should have diversity in your playlist.

The greatest hits thing is fair too. It seems like you picked the most popular songs by some of the artists instead of having unique song choices. Other did that too. That criticism comes from me after I listened and felt the song choices weren't that great for the second disc. It is a fair criticism and something you and others should watch for.
Diversity in names?

Song choices is one thing, greatest hits is another.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #435
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
It's how some people will always go about voting for lists. To tell the truth, I don't think it's any different than people glancing at the lists and voting without hearing anything.

Even if you've heard the song before and you like it, if it's used well in a list, who the fuck cares?

Getting exposed to new music is a hell of a lot of fun, and it's the 2nd-best thing about this contest for me, but it's not fair to hit against people because they use a fairly popular song.
Exactly my thoughts.

I definitely feel penalized for choosing songs that are more popular, as if my intention was to use them only to score points with popular voters.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com