Desert Island VII, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm sort of having a break 'cause my sister called when we were watching the movie, so my brother's just talking to her.

I watched Therapy?'s cover of Husker Du's Diane. Some people on Youtube actually like it more than the original? I hate opinions!

People on Youtube are absolute fucking idiots. Seriously. The comments on almost any video are genuinely retarded.

I'm amused by the fact that a large number of my bus companies buses that run to the city are adorned with Qantas Cityflyer ads.

I see Pacific Blue advertising on buses too. Haven't seen Air New Zealand though...

Although amusing, I can understand buses or trams accepting ads from airlines. After all, it's not as if anybody's going to be thinking "shit, should I take the tram or the plane to work today?" But the Toyota ad tram in Melbourne cracks me up every time, since Toyota's a direct competitor with Yarra Trams!

People on Youtube are absolute fucking idiots. Seriously. The comments on almost any video are genuinely retarded.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I think that when you sign up to YouTube, you have to sever your brain stem.

Also, Bonnie, I need to listen to some Husker Du. What album do you recommend? Zen Arcade's the most famous, right?

Although amusing, I can understand buses or trams accepting ads from airlines. After all, it's not as if anybody's going to be thinking "shit, should I take the tram or the plane to work today?" But the Toyota ad tram in Melbourne cracks me up every time, since Toyota's a direct competitor with Yarra Trams!

Make money where you can!

How many people actually look at an ad on a bus or tram and think "Fuck it, i'll buy a Toyota!"

You can't see the ad once you're in the tram anyway.

I like this photo. Complete accident. Photo of Fellow Albino Railfan photographing Z3 219 on William Street.

s640x480

Make money where you can!

How many people actually look at an ad on a bus or tram and think "Fuck it, i'll buy a Toyota!"

You can't see the ad once you're in the tram anyway.

Yeah, I think that's their logic. "If they'll pay us, we'll take their money!" I suppose they're also working by the logic that most tram commuters own a car anyway and choose not to use it, or wouldn't/can't choose to own a car.

I wonder how effective advertising on trams or buses really is. I can sort of see it working for something like Macca's or Coke or whatever, just by jogging your mind as it goes past. "Damn, I'm thirsty ... yeah, Coke seems like a good idea." But I don't see anybody thinking "yeah, I could go for some insurance right now ... hmm, AAMI? Yeah, I'll sign up with them!"

At least it gives the trams some colour, though.

2nd night in a row having a fucking breakdown over trying to send music to the phone, i just have to acceot that i will be stuck with a douchebag ring tone. PHAIL PHAIL PHAIL :scream:
oh and for some unfucking known reason my water here tonight is BROWN. what the hell people, i am more and more convinced this is africa, not only do our medical clinics turn away people 4 hours before they close, our power goes off constantly , there are stabbings and rapes daily, now my water is brown.

well.

welcome to hell .

/ rant.

That's pretty bloody cool.

I find a lot of great photos come by accident.

Yep. I've taken some awesome total flukes, while other photos that I've planned and expected to work out brilliantly have just been mediocre.

Ax, on Husker Du - well, it's sometimes sort of weird when it comes to what's the most famous Husker album. I guess I'd say Zen Arcade is, but often times in books and magazines with lists you'll get another of their albums in, usually New Day Rising (which is a great album, one I grew up on) but sometimes they might even include what I think is their worst, Candy Apple Grey (though there are a few good songs from both Bob Mould and Grant Hart there).

Can't really list them, and unless you're an afficiando you probably wouldn't notice major differences between the albums. Metal Circus and Everything Falls Apart and More are earlier, and thus some of the songs are quite amateur but there are still many good ones scattered about (In a Free Land is one of my very favourites, a brief flirtation with anarchy). From Zen Arcade onwards you get a lot of wonderful 60s pop songs in punk disguises. Also their cover of the Byrd's Eight Miles High is IMO one of the few covers that is miles ahead of the original - in fact, the only one I can think of right about now.

There is a big change from when they signed to a major label with Candy Apple Grey, the songwriters become even more independent of each other and it times it feels like the crossing over of two albums. The songs are still good, though. Also there's a DVD of them playing in London before Flip Your Wig was released (probably my favourite album of theirs) that is really good.

:hug: Jen :hug:

God, I once filled my ice tray and it was brown and I was creeped the fuck out. Emptied it, ran the water for a while, and it went a normal clear colour again. I was damn wary of the first batch of ice cubes after that incident, though. Fully expected to get sick but didn't.

Have an alcoholic drink. :wink:

See you later, Bonnie! :wave:

Thanks for the Husker Du post. :up: I'll download some stuff tonight or tomorrow and let you know what I think. I'll begin with Zen Arcade just because it's the one name I really recognise, and I think you once said it was recorded in just 2 days, which is pretty fucking cool.

Here's a rare sight: a route 3 tram under the Flinders - Spencer Street railway viaduct. It is running via the route 55 and is at the foot of Market Street. I can tell you stories about Market Street thanks to my markets work. But I won't.

s640x480

:hug: Jen :hug:

God, I once filled my ice tray and it was brown and I was creeped the fuck out. Emptied it, ran the water for a while, and it went a normal clear colour again. I was damn wary of the first batch of ice cubes after that incident, though. Fully expected to get sick but didn't.

Have an alcoholic drink. :wink:

yes i have to drink wine to keep my fluids up .

barwon water gave me some weird long story about how they are redirecting water because of the ring road work or some shit, but that is accrosss town , . i would rather have no water than brown water cos its the same fucking difference.

hmmmm i do have bottled water as part of the oh god geelong is turning into africa/armageddon has arrived emergency kit plan.

Back in January, a Z3 approaches LaTrobe Street on William Street. Note the jaywalker in the distance. I seriously can't believe how much jaywalking goes on in this city. It's got to be the capital of jaywalking.

s640x480

yes i have to drink wine to keep my fluids up .

barwon water gave me some weird long story about how they are redirecting water because of the ring road work or some shit, but that is accrosss town , . i would rather have no water than brown water cos its the same fucking difference.

hmmmm i do have bottled water as part of the oh god geelong is turning into africa/armageddon has arrived emergency kit plan.

Oookay. Yeah, wouldn't it make sense to just turn off the water if the works are going to send it brown?

And what, should I maybe not suggest that I come visit you and cin sometime over my holidays if Geelong is being struck by the Apocalypse? :wink:

At the intersection of LaTrobe and William Streets, a City Circle tram meets a route 55 Z3 and a whole bunch of taxis.

s640x480

My tram stop! And what do you know, more jaywalkers. I also hate that blue building - a cheap attempt at gentrification that has half failed. The apartments are inhabited, but development of streetfront shops has stalled.

s640x480

Z3 coming up behind a B2 on Flemington Road some day in March when I was going to have lunch with Ali in between classes with U-Wen. I'm such a Superthread social butterfly or something.

s640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom