Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Lancemc

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • phanan

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

To kick things off, our first heat will be Lancemc vs. phanan. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Lancemc

wrath_of_khan.gif

So I was disappointed with my first Desert Island playlist. It still made the quarter/semi? finals, but I didn’t like it. I originally had an idea for a more cohesive and thematically dynamic list, but decided that a true “desert island” tracklist would just be a compilation of all the artists I loved and the songs that best represented why I loved them. I still failed. But this time, I went more with what I had planned originally. I’ve incorporated several classical/romantic period compositions to serve as cornerstones for the entire list. I had wanted to use the Mars –> Gimme Shelter opening as it truly kicks ass. I also wanted to use the complete second half of Beethoven’s 5th symphony in my list somewhere, and settled on closing the first disc with it. Some may consider it “cheating” since it’s technically two tracks from the same Album/Artist, but Axver has OK-ed this particular selection for me on several occasions. I feel it really acts as the true centerpiece for the entire playlist this time around, and contains it’s own epic and compelling emotional and thematic narrative that the rest of the list almost acts of a sort of companion to it. The first of the other two “classical” pieces I chose was Revel’s “Bolero” which I could probably listen to over and over again all day. He described the piece as “Absolutely no music, but all tone.” The final classical (romantic) piece is Mendelssohn’s “Hebrides Overture,” which details an autobiographical journey through a storm at Fingal’s Cave in Northern Europe. I thought it was the perfect segue musically and thematically to the closer, R.E.M.’s classic “Find The River”. The rest of the playlist consists of several smaller cohesive units revolving around the self-appointed themes (in order); traditional songwriting wrapped in electronic styling [3-7, Disc 1], physical space and travel [8-11, Disc 1], love and lust [1-3, Disc 2], and finally coming home [5-11, Disc 2]. I’m actually very proud of this list, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do, and find the structure and the “musical journey” as rewarding as I’d like to think it is.

DISC 1

1. Boston Pops Orchestra – “The Planets, Op. 32: I. Mars, the Bringer of War” – Holst: The Planets (6:45)
2. The Rolling Stones – “Gimme Shelter” – Let it Bleed (4:35)
3. Bjork – “5 Years” – Homogenic (4:29)
4. Radiohead – “I Might Be Wrong” – Amnesiac (4:53)
5. U2 – “Lemon” – Zooropa (6:58)
6. The Flaming Lips – “Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell” – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (4:34)
7. LCD Soundsystem – “Someone Great” – Sound Of Silver (6:25)
8. Patti Smith – “Land” – Horses (9:25)
9. Sufjan Stevens – “Chicago” – Come On, Feel The Illinoise (6:04)
10. Arcade Fire – “Haiti” – Funeral (4:07)
11. Brian Eno – “Another Green World” – Another Green World (1:36)
12./13. Kurt Masur – “Symphony No. 5 In C Minor – 3- Allegro/Symphony No. 5 In C Minor – 4 – Allegro2” – Beethoven The Nine Symphonies (8:32/11:09)

DISC 2

1. The Who – “A Quick One While He’s Away” – Live At Leeds (8:52)
2. Beck – “Sexx Laws” – Midnight Vultures (3:39)
3. Bob Dylan – “Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts” – Blood On The Tracks (8:53)
4. Maazel/Orchestre National de France – “Bolero” – Ravel: Bolero (13:52)
5. Daniel Lanois – “Where The Hawkwind Kills” – Acadie (3:51)
6. Bruce Springsteen – “Wild Billy’s Circus Story” – The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle (4:47)
7. Talking Heads – “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)” – Stop Making Sense (4:57)
8. Wilco – “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart” – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (6:58)
9. David Bowie – “Subterraneans” – Low (5:39)
10. London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Abbado – “Ouvertüre "The Hebrides" ("Fingalshöhle"), Op.26” - Mendelssohn 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (10:29)
11. R.E.M. – “Find The River” – Automatic For The People (3:49)

Forum name: phanan

Connections

I tend to view my playlist as a book of short stories, each one different from
the next, but having an overall theme of connections between people and how
those connections impact their lives. From soldiers to models, or from lovers
to friends, these songs produce a snapshot of how different people handle things
in their own, unique way, yet together they show how strong those connections
can be.

Enjoy!

1. Moby - "Hymn" - Everything Is Wrong (3:17)
2. Gorillaz - "Last Living Souls" - Demon Days (3:11)
3. Royksopp - "Remind Me (Someone Else's Mix) - Melody A.M. (Bonus Disc) (3:41)
4. Kraftwerk - "The Model" - The Man Machine (3:40)
5. INXS - "The Stairs" - X (4:57)
6. Crowded House - "World Where You Live" - Crowded House (3:05)
7. The Beatles - "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" - Help! (2:08)
8. Blur - "The Universal" - The Best Of Blur (3:59)
9. Snow Patrol - "Chocolate" - Final Straw (3:11)
10. Mew - "Snow Brigade" - Frengers (4:20)
11. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Seven Seas" - Ocean Rain (3:20)
12. Coldplay - "Sleeping Sun" - Talk single (3:08)
13. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:38)
14. Anathema - "Anyone, Anywhere" - Judgement (4:51)
15. Elton John - "Talking Old Soldiers" - Tumbleweed Connection (4:05)
16. Dire Straits - "The Man's Too Strong" - Brothers In Arms (4:39)
17. The Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:29)
18. Guster - "Barrel Of A Gun" - Lost And Gone Forever (3:12)
19. Fleetwood Mac - "Never Going Back Again" - Rumours (2:15)
20. Led Zeppelin - "Bron-Yr-Aur" - Physical Graffiti (2:07)
21. Bruce Springsteen - "Shut Out The Light" - Tracks (3:53)
22. Editors - "All Sparks" - The Back Room (3:33)
23. The Samples - "Everytime" - The Last Drag (4:19)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)
25. Mute Math - "Control" - Reset EP (4:37)
26. Interpol - "C'mere" - Antics (3:12)
27. Stars - "Ageless Beauty" - Set Yourself On Fire (4:05)
28. The White Stripes - "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)" -
Icky Thump (3:54)
29. The Rolling Stones - "Street Fighting Man" - Beggars Banquet (3:15)
30. The Who - "Behind Blue Eyes" - Who's Next (3:41)
31. Pink Floyd - "Hey You" - The Wall (4:41)
32. Radiohead - "Let Down" - OK Computer (5:00)
33. U2 - "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" - Million Dollar Hotel (3:44)
34. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Exact Colour" - The Dark Third (4:04)
35. The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up (4:27)
36. Yes - "Evensong" - Union (0:52)
37. Slowdive - "Machine Gun" - Souvlaki (4:27)
38. Sigur Ros - "Refur" - Saeglopur (2:43)
39. Passengers - "Slug" - Original Soundracks I (4:42)
40. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:17)
41. R.E.M. - "Find The River" - Automatic For The People (3:50)
42. Alcest - "Tir Nan Og" - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (6:10)

Total time: 2:38:55

UP NEXT: Screwtape2 vs. U2vertigofly

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I really love Phanan’s playlist. It is one of my favorites. The concept and execution are brilliant. It is one of the best musical experiences in the game.

Lancemc also has one of my favorite playlists in the game. Parts of it are simply stunning. I’m thinking of Ravel through Bruce and Bowie through REM. The approach he took to the playlist was wonderful.

This is really tough but I have to go with Phanan. The experience was something unique and innovative. That takes nothing away from Lancemc’s fantastic playlist.

These are two of the really special playlists in this game. You both did an amazing job. Good luck through the rest of the game! :wave:

Not a big fan of Lance's list this time out, and I love Phanan's, so he gets my vote. :rockon:

I was a big fan of Lance's last playlist, and I think he has great taste in music. A lot of the songs he chose for this one are among my favorites -- the Wilco, R.E.M., Gimme Shelter, U2, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, etc. But I guess I'm just not as big a fan of classical music as I used to be -- it doesn't work for me here.

That said, it would have taken a phenomenal playlist to take my vote away from phanan. I listened to phanan's for the first time late last week and I thought it was very good. I listened to it again yesterday and it was like a musical revelation. It includes a lot of songs that are among my favorites, like Behind Blue Eyes, Street Fighting Man, Keep The Car Running, TGBHF, The Man's Too Strong, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Let Down and Find The River.

But what's even better is that the playlist includes wave after wave of great new material that I love, and I liked it even more the second time around as I started to recognize the hooks. I'll be checking out artists like Royksopp, Blackfield, Editors, The Samples, Stars, The Postal Service, Ride and Alcest on Rhapsody -- I gave their songs 5 stars.

The only song I rated less than 4 stars was Anathema's Anyone, Anywhere, at 3. Pretty impressive going through a whole playlist with just one rated at 3 or less.

I really liked LanceMC's mix ... I have to listen to Phanan's tonight - can't wait to hear it! This might be a tough one.

These were two amazing playlists. :up:

I really enjoyed Phanan's, but I have to go with Lance this time around...I think he did a wonderful job of incorporating classical music into it, and the inclusion of Beethoven's 5th and Ravel's Bolero was absolutely great.

Good luck to you both. :)

I have to go for phanan as well. Great songs, really well put together. Lancemc's is very solid too, and I liked the classical bits, but overall phanan's is just a bit more my style.

Phanan's list is un-frickin-believable! Been listening to it all evening. Royksopp, Kraftwerk, INXS, Crowded House, Beatles, Blur, Snow Patrol... so much great stuff! :love:

Lancemc's list looks really good too, although I don't know any of the classical stuff. Excellent Radiohead pick, excellent U2 pick, excellent REM pick! Will listen to the whole thing tomorrow and then decide on the vote.

But I'm seriously leaning towards Phanan. Royksopp-Kraftwerk alone may deserve it! :combust:

I laughed when I heard the Royksopp song. I said to myself, "Hmm, I wonder if that's the same band that sings that "everywhere I go" tune that's in one of the Geico cavemen commercials..."

Not only was it the same band, but it was the same song! :lol:

I'm really, really enjoying this mix. There's a lot of songs previously unfamiliar to me that will be remaining on my iPod.

I've listened to Lance's so far, and I really dig it. The classical pieces are great, but they slow down the pace of the playlist too much (the Bolero piece comes to mind.) Although after the Holst track I felt the urge to scream "THIS IS CETI ALPHA V!"

I have yet to listen to Phanan's, but when I do, I will place my vote.

I'm honestly scared of Phanan's list now. I was before, but damn. 18-4. :| Glad I'm not in a division of death now. :wink:

I didn't think I'd recieve this bad of a whoopin. :wink: I honestly think my playlist this time is at least 3-times better than my one from the last tourney.

Maybe this is just karma biting me in the ass for my beating IMP in the last competition. :wink:

Holy schnikies, at least the voting system is different this time around.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Holy schnikies, at least the voting system is different this time around.

What, are we now using the "Lancemc's vote is worth 1000 normal votes" system? Because otherwise, I'm still fucked.

Well you're not knocked out of the main tourney, you just get less points for a loss and still move on, if that makes sense.

You're only semi-phucked.

Lancemc said:

What, are we now using the "Lancemc's vote is worth 1000 normal votes" system? Because otherwise, I'm still fucked.

No, it just means that even though you lost here, you still have a chance to stick around if you do well in your future matches, which I'm certain you will.

LemonMelon said:
I don't want you to get knocked out before I can get a piece of you. :wink:

You know how in that movie Mars Attacks that kid plays his grandmother's old crappy country albums to make the aliens' heads explode inside their helmets???

That's what I use your playlist for.

Lancemc said:

You know how in that movie Mars Attacks that kid plays his grandmother's old crappy country albums to make the aliens' heads explode inside their helmets???

That's what I use your playlist for.

I guess being slain by Phanan wasn't enough to kill your sense of humor. :wink: But anything involving Mars Attacks kicks ass, and I appreciate the reference. :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom