Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #736
The Male

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
It's proving too hard for me because the time limit is far too long. Any chance for DI 4 we could reduce the time limit? I think it would be a really interesting game, and it would encourage more people to listen to other people's playlists.
No way, man. Some of us own 450+ CDs and have an incredibly difficult time breaking it down to that "far too long" time limit.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Not even any Dream Theater.

I do hope you're having some input on Lila's list.
She'll do better without my help

No matter how hard I try, my lists always revert back to my suicidal tendencies in song selections, as far as votes are concerned

Axver - Before I purchase a Swingers cd on ebay, do you know anywhere it may be available for download? Been meaning to get it for a while now and don't wanna wait to transfer my lp to disc. And not just for Counting the Beat, love the whole record. Quirky, but hooks galore

Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 AM   #738
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
It's proving too hard for me because the time limit is far too long. Any chance for DI 4 we could reduce the time limit? I think it would be a really interesting game, and it would encourage more people to listen to other people's playlists.
A couple 20 minute songs by some old hippies (Allman Bros, Pink Floyd, Yes, even Porcupine Tree or Tool or Dream Theater, you get the idea) should do the trick for you.

On the other hand, getting more people to listen should be the goal. Would more people listen if the sets were shorter? Maybe a thread to find out.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 AM   #739
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

That dude can play a guitar, but songwriting isn't exactly his strong suit. Most of the songs sound the same to me: epic, overwrought, just a bunch of noise, etc...I can't help but burst out laughing at some of the lyrics. At least Radiohead and Queen have dynamics and aren't "gloom-n'-doom-n'-the end of the world" all the time. I mean, seriously, one listen to Take A Bow pretty much tells you all you need to know. If you hate that, don't even bother.
who cares about the lyrics, honestly? They don't bother me much. I enjoy some of them. I wouldn't say Take a Bow is one of their best anyway - I'm all about stuff like Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Assassin, Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Citzen Erased, Map of the Problematique, The Small Print, Time is Running Out, Exo-Politics, Dead Star, New Born, etc...in other words...songs that fuckin ROCK

I'd say in general Muse's slower stuff isn't their strong suit, but there are some exceptions - Sing for Absolution is beautiful, and I do love Starlight. But Invincible? Soldier's Poem? Let's not.

also, when has Radiohead ever deviated from doom and gloom? I do love Radiohead, but they certainly sway on one end of the emotional spectrum, much moreso than Muse.

Anyway, I'm downloading all these playlists and it's crazy. Prolly won't listen to 'em til tomorrow and of course it'll take me awhile, but it'll be fun GOOD FOR ALL OF YOU FOR USING MUSE TRACKS
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #740
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
That dude can play a guitar, but songwriting isn't exactly his strong suit. Most of the songs sound the same to me: epic, overwrought, just a bunch of noise, etc...I can't help but burst out laughing at some of the lyrics. At least Radiohead and Queen have dynamics and aren't "gloom-n'-doom-n'-the end of the world" all the time. I mean, seriously, one listen to Take A Bow pretty much tells you all you need to know. If you hate that, don't even bother.
You know, to have a fair discussion about Muse, we really need to just ignore the complete shitfest that is Black Holes And Revelations. So there goes your Take A Bow comment. Not a single good song on that album and I have no fucking clue what some of you see in Knights Of Cydonia.

Quote:
... too ... long?

Yeah, no. Most of us have an attention span.

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
She'll do better without my help

No matter how hard I try, my lists always revert back to my suicidal tendencies in song selections, as far as votes are concerned

Axver - Before I purchase a Swingers cd on ebay, do you know anywhere it may be available for download? Been meaning to get it for a while now and don't wanna wait to transfer my lp to disc. And not just for Counting the Beat, love the whole record. Quirky, but hooks galore
But who cares about votes when creating great art?

I've had no luck with finding anything other than an MP3 of Counting The Beat, the song. I'd love to have some more, but the best I can do is videos on YouTube.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #741
Blue Crack Distributor

can you PM or email me that Swingers track for now? Something to appease the man
Old 07-22-2007, 02:37 AM   #742
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i have three swingers songs
Old 07-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #743
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
can you PM or email me that Swingers track for now? Something to appease the man
Oh shit, I forgot to do that when you first asked! Coming right up.

And Khan, what three do you have?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-22-2007, 02:46 AM   #744
Blue Crack Distributor

feel free to PM or email any and all to me Thanks!

I've tried downloading Screwtape's file, part 1 of 2 zip, and it won't let me open the zip file or try extracting it. I've tried twice now - don't know why it won't let me extract it. Anyone else have a problem?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #745
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
And Khan, what three do you have?
i have counting the beat, all over town, and certain sound. i've only listened to the other two once so i don't really remember what they sound like.

btw, just as an aside, i'm about to submit everything as soon as my last part finishes uploading!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #746
Vocal parasite

Huh, I don't think I know those other two. I'd certainly like to hear them though!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #747
45:33

Quote:
... too ... long?

Yeah, no. Most of us have an attention span.
You didn't have to be rude, I was only asking. It's got nothing to do with attention span. I just know there would be absolutely no chance of me finding any time to listen to sixteen four hour playlists, assesing them, relistening to them to adapt to them and decide on which has better flow, cohesion, songs, blah blah blah. I don't know how anyone can find the time. And it proved a problem in the prog game so
Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #748
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Huh, I don't think I know those other two. I'd certainly like to hear them though!
yeah, i think they were just singles. they're not on practical jokers.

you should check out the album other enz: split enz and beyond, it's got at least one song from just about any body to come out of split enz. there's crowded house of course, schnell fenster, eddie rayner, etc.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:14 AM   #749
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You know, to have a fair discussion about Muse, we really need to just ignore the complete shitfest that is Black Holes And Revelations. So there goes your Take A Bow comment. Not a single good song on that album and I have no fucking clue what some of you see in Knights Of Cydonia.

Dude the last couple minutes of Knights of Cydonia make the song worth it...but it's by no means the best song on the album. That would be Map of the Problematique

BHAR is probably their weakest album (that I've heard at least, I don't have Showbiz yet...), but it's growing on me. Really the only tracks I don't bother with at all are Soldier's Poem and Invincible. Take a Bow and Hoodoo are mediocre. The rest are pretty solid.

as for the time limit thing... 2 hours 40 minutes is nothin for MAKING a playlist, but I agree that it can be hard to find time to listen to everyone else's...but that's why Screwtape is sending out some early. it's not like you have to listen to them all at once i guess it can be hard to measure the cohesion factor though, if you don't have lots of free 2 hour 40 minute blocks in your day
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 AM   #750
45:33

That's what I meant. I don't have any free four hour blocks at all. Of course it's nothing for making one, but listening is another matter.

Tags
desert island