Desert Island Album Game II: Semi Final 2 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
U2VertigoFly's tracklist 17 50.00%
Axver's tracklist 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #31
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Woah the prog genre seems more complicated than I thought

Old 05-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #32
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Woops, didn't mean to click post then. Oh well, I'm lazy, I'll do a second post.

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Very true, and that's one of the challenges with this. Trying to make a mix that pulls those different sounds together. Obviously, today's neo-progsters have a different sound from classic prog, and in my preliminary stages of trying to sequence this thing together, I'm finding it difficult to make a good mix without it sounding too jarring from one song to the other.
I actually haven't found it too hard to weave classic prog in and out of modern stuff, though that may be due to my prog leanings being conducive to that sort of thing. For example, I'm not using any Yes; seventies Rush is much easier to slot in between 2000s neo-prog and a prog metal epic.

On the whole, I feel I've got the eras interwoven nicely, but at one point, I make a very deliberate point of having a sharp transition. I'm sure that may surprise some people familiar with my commitment to fluidity and flow in playlists, but I really want to make an artistic statement here and I think this sudden transition is a great way to illustrate that prog is a genre of considerable variation, possibly rock's most diverse subgenre.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I want to include as many artists as I can, but I often just prefer their longer songs. So far, I have six songs that breach the ten minute mark...it's enough to give some people in B&C a hernia. I might have to break up my killer ending. One song is 11:45 and the other is 10:45. It's no problem for me to listen to two long songs back to back, especially when I love them so much, but others might get bored.
You're going to break up such a short ending?

Personally, I've decided to throw all caution to the wind and simply make an artistic statement. I want to show that lengthy songs do not necessarily mean longwinded excess; some things simply cannot be adequately expressed within 5 minutes. To that end, my closing duo are 13:05 and 26:06 in length. Yes, I realise approximately two people are going to check out the 26 minute song.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:

I have Kayak on my list. "And I don't know if it's you I'm looking for, I'm only trying to find a reason for it all." Yes, they were blatant Yes ripoffs (made even funnier by the fact that I'm following their song with a Yes song), but they wrote some fantastic work.
Speaking of blatant Yes ripoffs, I was debating on using Starcastle, but I think they are going to miss my final cut.

And I have quite a few long songs as well. I don't want to leave things out, but at the same time, I really like how it's coming together, so there will be sacrifices.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

You're going to break up such a short ending?

Personally, I've decided to throw all caution to the wind and simply make an artistic statement. I want to show that lengthy songs do not necessarily mean longwinded excess; some things simply cannot be adequately expressed within 5 minutes. To that end, my closing duo are 13:05 and 26:06 in length. Yes, I realise approximately two people are going to check out the 26 minute song.

See, this is why I love the prog desert island. Most people would recoil in horror at the idea of a 26 minute song, whereas we embrace it. This competition is going to be fantastic. I really hope it gets more folks in B&C interested in the genre.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

I have two quick questions, by the way.

1. What is the proposed tracklist time limit for the upcoming tournaments? I remember a few threads back it was suggested that the limit should be allowed to exceed the 2 CD format of the current Desert Island game.

2. Are we limited to one song per artist? I think the original rule was that if one song bled into the other (as they so often do on prog albums), both songs could be used. I can't remember and couldn't be arsed to search for the old thread.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #36
Refugee

Prague?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge
Prague?
Aks...
nevermind.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #38
Refugee

lolololooooool

I'm awesome
Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
I have two quick questions, by the way.

1. What is the proposed tracklist time limit for the upcoming tournaments? I remember a few threads back it was suggested that the limit should be allowed to exceed the 2 CD format of the current Desert Island game.

2. Are we limited to one song per artist? I think the original rule was that if one song bled into the other (as they so often do on prog albums), both songs could be used. I can't remember and couldn't be arsed to search for the old thread.
1. It's now a 4 hour limit.
2. You CAN use multiple songs by an artist.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

1. It's now a 4 hour limit.
2. You CAN use multiple songs by an artist.
I think I'll have to make mine a little shorter than that, as I already find it difficult enough to make a good tracklist with 2 CDs worth of music. Three hours seems like a good bet for me.

As for multiple songs, does that even apply to songs that don't flow into one another? Because that certainly would make things a lot more interesting for my own list.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

As for multiple songs, does that even apply to songs that don't flow into one another? Because that certainly would make things a lot more interesting for my own list.
Yep. For example I have two very different Pink Floyd songs (Careful With That Axe, Eugene and Dogs) in my playlist.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Fantastic. I have Dogs as well - it was my tracklist opener and I wasn't very comfortable with it there. Now I think I might put One Of These Days there...the Works compilation version that has the DSOTM effects at the beginning.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Just thinking about Screwtape's five subsections of prog, I think it would be fair to add in a sixth, as I think a number of bands in this grouping really don't fit in any of the five categories.

6. Neo-prog: While some use "neo-prog" to refer to just about anything post-seventies, I'm using it here to refer to the "second wave" of prog that arose in the eighties at the hands of groups such as Marillion, IQ, and Pendragon. It really infused prog with some structural sensibilities derived from more popular music *cough*Marillion'sKayleigh*cough* and heightened the prominence of synethesisers in a way not seen in any other style of prog.

I'd be very interested to see what he'd submit. I'll probably start the rules/sign-up thread after the final of this tournament, so in about 5-6 days. If I were him, I'd give myself a goal or objective for the tracklist to help narrow down selections. Personally, when I realised I had 6.5 hours of songs, I decided prog metal wasn't the way I wished to go, so I cut it and focused on the development of a more sweeping atmosphere than is possible with the intensity of bands such as Dark Suns and Hammers Of Misfortune.

Heh, no, Genesis was very much one of the big prog bands of their time. I have a couple of their albums and they've done some fine work, but nothing I've massively fallen in love with. I'm glad I have The Lamb Lies Down and Selling England By The Pound, but it's a rare day when I'll pick them over, say, Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Pure Reason Revolution.

Keep me posted so I can keep him posted. Hard to keep up since this is actually a voting thread that's turned into a discussion

And he probably wouldn't be all "this flows into that" song. He just thinks he'd have some obscure stuff that you might not have heard of. Who knows. I think it would be interesting for him to do it, since this group of competitors might actually listen to the CDs as a whole.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Lila, you wouldn't happen to have Kayak II, would you? I've been looking for that album EVERYWHERE.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:35 AM
I'll ask hubby

Tags
desert island