Desert Island 3 Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's 19 of us. If each person submitted two songs, that's 38, which would probably be enough to do this.

I'm just throwing this out there. Perhaps others could provide some input as well?

phanan said:

I think we're going to run into repetitiveness here in Round 1, which would take away from the game a bit.

This is my new idea:

Round 4: The bottom three people in Group 1 have a three-way match. The lowest person is eliminated (they will probably be eliminated mathematically anyways.)

Round 5: The top three in Group 1 have a three-way match. The top two advance out of the group.

That would take out the repetitiveness a little bit and be very intense. Do you like that idea?

Last edited:
It's intriguing, but then two people in Group 1 would be in an extra round, which would skew the number of votes they receive.

That's the other thing I'm struggling with here. In the other groups, each person is in four rounds. In our group, as it currently is setup, we'd be in all five rounds. This means that the cumulative number of votes we receive will be higher. If there are tiebreakers at some point, where it comes down to vote difference, we'll be at an unfair advantage because we would have received more votes.

I should have thought of these complications sooner.

phanan said:
It's intriguing, but then two people in Group 1 would be in an extra round, which would skew the number of votes they receive.

That's the other thing I'm struggling with here. In the other groups, each person is in four rounds. In our group, as it currently is setup, we'd be in all five rounds. This means that the cumulative number of votes we receive will be higher. If there are tiebreakers at some point, where it comes down to vote difference, we'll be at an unfair advantage because we would have received more votes.

I should have thought of these complications sooner.

How about a fourth round match that features all four of us? If it is close between the bottom three then maybe a fifth round match between them? Tiebreakers wouldn't come into play in the quarters or beyond so having some in five rounds wouldn't affect the rest of the game.

Actually, the tiebreakers are in play throughout.

Let's say Players A and B meet in a semifinal and end in a tie. If each player's won-loss record and points were the same, it would come down to vote differential at that moment. If Player A had been in one extra round and gotten to the semifinals, it's a good bet they'd have a better differential because they'd have more votes.

Most likely, this wouldn't happen, but you never know.

If we didn't do a Supertracklist, I'd go with your previous suggestion over this one.

phanan said:
Actually, the tiebreakers are in play throughout.

Let's say Players A and B meet in a semifinal and end in a tie. If each player's won-loss record and points were the same, it would come down to vote differential at that moment. If Player A had been in one extra round and gotten to the semifinals, it's a good bet they'd have a better differential because they'd have more votes.

Most likely, this wouldn't happen, but you never know.

If we didn't do a Supertracklist, I'd go with your previous suggestion over this one.

Then let's just go with the first idea. Judging by the rounds so far, ties seem very doubtful. The top person would only play four rounds and the second wouldn't have that great of a vote differential anyways.

We should make a Supertracklist for the Album Game sometime in the next few weeks.

I've been working on a playlist for the next round, but some of you people are scaring me. <wink> This is just supposed to be a fun, relaxed contest, right? It's all about sharing the music, learning about some new bands? How'd it become so intense?

(Thinking of Friday night's heated discussion.)

I'm confused with all this talk regarding Group 1's lack of five contestants.

Why not just run it as a pure 4 person round, with each person in three heats?

I'm really not seeing the problem. It'll end sooner, but we want things to move quickly anyway.

SeattleVertigo said:
I've been working on a playlist for the next round, but some of you people are scaring me. <wink> This is just supposed to be a fun, relaxed contest, right? It's all about sharing the music, learning about some new bands? How'd it become so intense?

(Thinking of Friday night's heated discussion.)

Yes, you're quite right. I'm just a wanker sometimes, that's all.

For the good of the game, perhaps Desert Island IV should just be run by Screwtape and phanan. Ever since my premium membership expired, my role has been increasingly diminishing anyway.

SeattleVertigo said:
How'd it become so intense?

I called Axver's list safe and predictable, and he wasn't too keen on that. A few of the new people weren't too happy when he called their lists "crap" compared to the vets'. And then we started talking about space moons in space or something...I was pretty out of it. :slant:

LemonMelon said:

I called Axver's list safe and predictable, and he wasn't too keen on that. A few of the new people weren't too happy when he called their lists "crap" compared to the vets'. And then we started talking about space moons in space or something...I was pretty out of it. :slant:

Last night was a complete blur. I know for a fact that the newcomer lists aren't terrible as everyone has been nominated in at least one Critic's Choice category after just two ballots. Crap is sort of like hate in the sense that they are both words that have different degrees of negativity based on each person. It turned out to end well.

Axver said:
I'm confused with all this talk regarding Group 1's lack of five contestants.

Why not just run it as a pure 4 person round, with each person in three heats?

I'm really not seeing the problem. It'll end sooner, but we want things to move quickly anyway.

You know what, you're right.

Screwtape, let's just do it as a 4 person round and the top 2 will advance. Plain and simple.

Screwtape2 said:

Last night was a complete blur. I know for a fact that the newcomer lists aren't terrible as everyone has been nominated in at least one Critic's Choice category after just two ballots. Crap is sort of like hate in the sense that they are both words that have different degrees of negativity based on each person. It turned out to end well.

I've really enjoyed many of the newbie lists, and for their first time participating, they were better than some of the ones from the first two games.

Just wait until the quarterfinals start - we're gonna have some excellent battles.

Axver said:

Yes, you're quite right. I'm just a wanker sometimes, that's all.

For the good of the game, perhaps Desert Island IV should just be run by Screwtape and phanan. Ever since my premium membership expired, my role has been increasingly diminishing anyway.

You're definitely one of the more interesting and colorful people around here, but you're probably a bit young to be the cranky old codger. <teasing>

I like your playlists (even when they're challenging) -- hope to continue to see 'em.

Listening to Beck's Midnite Vultures album right now, I'm really thinking of scrapping my current DI4 playlist (saving it for DI5) and just making one long, sweaty dance mix for DI4. I'm not sure if it's the first time there has been a playlist all of a single genre, but I'm willing to pioneer it. And it would be worth it...Sly, Prince, LCD Soundsystem, Beastie Boys, Primal Scream...it would be one big party. :dance:

:hmm:

You could go for it. I have a sort of dance section at the beginning of my DI4 list, too, couldn't do the whole thing like that though. :crazy:

It's total competition suicide, as variety is prized here, but there has never been a list quite like it, and with some slow jamz thrown in, it wouldn't be static.

Variety is prized, but I think balls should be prized more (or at least to a certain extent.)

Go for that shit either next time or the next next time.

LemonMacPhisto said:
(or at least to a certain extent.)

:uhoh: I guess my playlist consisting of nothing but 60's Lennon/Yoko collaborations, random sound effects I found on the internet, and Metal Machine Music won't be very well-accepted then. :reject:

LemonMelon said:

:uhoh: I guess my playlist consisting of nothing but 60's Lennon/Yoko collaborations, random sound effects I found on the internet, and Metal Machine Music won't be very well-accepted then. :reject:

:lol:

And bits of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I have 35 tunes for it, now all I have to do is work the transitions, which is more challenging than usual with this set. But it has everything:

Motown
Deep 70's funk grooves
Indietastic dance rock
80's guilty pleasures
Funky old-school rap
Catchy, danceable Britpop

All in order to rock your pelvis. :dance:

fantastic!

I have this sweet OutKast -> Kool and the Gang -> Beastie Boys -> Mute Math (not exactly hip-hop, but the song itself is pretty close) transition in my next list.

Fucking "Jungle Boogie" :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom