Dennis Franchione, what were you thinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bama,

Sorry about the Franchione thing. I have no doubt that you've probably ripped the head off of your Dennis Franchione bobble head doll by now.

The Sports Animal radio show here interviewed one of the men from WYEE in Birmingham. He mentioned that many Bama fans are Oklahoma fans. On the flip side, I can honestly say that Oklahoma fans have a lot of respect for Alabama. Alabama football has been betrayed, and I will never be a fan of Franchione. He's a good coach, but some things just aren't cool. My condolences to all Alabama fans. You guys have great tradition, greater than Texas A&M, and I hope you have the chance to keep on winning and having good seasons.

The Big XII should be mighty interesting for years to come, provided something "better" doesn't come along for ol' Dennis.

One last thing. Yesterday on sports radio this guy compared Fran's leaving TCU for Alabama to marrying someone who left their spouse to marry you. Why shouldn't you expect them to cheat on you and leave you too? Apparently the day before leaving TCU for Alabama, Fran swore up and down that he wasn't leaving. Now he's done the same thing to Alabama fans. Food for thought, I suppose.

Congrats on a great season.
HG

Last edited:
Originally stated by Dennis Franchione, on learning of Alabama's NCAA sanctions, commenting on his commitment to the Crimson Tide program:

"I have known that pushing through the NCAA situation would not be for the faint of heart. But I have a favorite reading that goes, 'Tough times don't last, but tough people do.'"

Well, he decided that the NCAA sanctions were too tough for him, as he stated in a press conference on Friday that our NCAA situation played a major role in his decision to abandon a roster of players who chose to STICK WITH HIM during 2 years of post-season bowl ban and 3 years of scholarship limitations. He is a fraud. And Texas A&M's recruitment of him was very shady; there were hints of it as far back as the Tennessee game LAST year, October, 2001. And he was playing the Alabama Nation for fools all along, saying that his new, 10 year, $1.5MM contract with us WOULD be finalized.

He refused to come back to Tuscaloosa and address his players; and explain to them why he lapsed in his mottos of loyalty, trust, accountablity, and hold onto the rope. As quarterback Brodie Croyle's dad, former Bama star John Croyle, stated, "He asked them to hold on to the rope, but then he let go of it."

I don't care if we hire Steve Freakin' Spurrier, this creates a huge jolt of instability in our program when stability is the biggest thing we need. And to make it worse, he has handled it poorly.

Some Texas Longhorn fans have already had some fun withPhotoShop Fran, and the Oklahoma fans have a similar project but I couldn't locate it as their boards are all concerned with WWLS radio station today.

As for the negative press he is getting, I think it is hilarious. ESPN, CBS.Sportsline, CNN/SI, and even fans of our rivals have been tearing him apart. Oklahoma and Texas fans have suddenly become our best friends.

Check out this NEUTRAL college football database website, they have christened Franchione with a new nickname.

As for my Coach Fran Bobblehead doll: It is hanging by a noose from my front door. We took an extra one to a Christmas party last night for a "Dirty Santa" game, but my wife put a new label on the box; instead of saying "Crimson Tide" and "Coach Fran," it says "Texas A&M" and "Coach Fraud." Needless to say, it was a big hit and was "stolen" the maximum 3 times.

A group of friends and I are planning on travelling to Norman, Oklahoma next November for the Texas A&M at Oklahoma game. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he steps off the aTm bus and sees about 3 or 4 guys standing there wearing Alabama shirts and Oklahoma hats.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
Believe it or not, some people are jumping all over rumors surrounding Spurrier's contact with our athleitc director. That contact did take place, but it was in reference to Spurrier's Defensive Coordinator at the Redkins' organization, Marvin Lewis, who recently turned down the Michigan State head coaching job.

We are allegedly looking at Jim Leavitt (South Florida) and Mike Riley (assistant head coach, New Orleans Saints).

~U2Alabama

Bama,

I don't think you can be too surprised at Franchione's departure, given his history of coaching positions.

Very true, speedracer; the TCU fans tried to warn us 2 years ago when he jilted them to come and coach Alabama, and now the New Mexico fans are telling us as well.

The problem is the way he handled the whole exit; he kept telling the Alabama fans and media he wanted to retire here, he had no interest in other schools, etc., and then suddenly, in a couple of days, he is accepting the A&M job, didn't even return to tell his players face to face.

We needed him because we need stability. We still haven't found a replacement and that makes matters even worse.

At least we have the #2 basketball team in the country.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

the Oklahoma fans have a similar project but I couldn't locate it as their boards are all concerned with WWLS radio station today.

A group of friends and I are planning on travelling to Norman, Oklahoma next November for the Texas A&M at Oklahoma game. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he steps off the aTm bus and sees about 3 or 4 guys standing there wearing Alabama shirts and Oklahoma hats.

~U2Alabama

The WWLS thing was a total fiasco! Did you hear anything about it?

Does Khrys know that you guys are coming for the A&M/OU game next year? We'll have to get together and barbecue...maybe ol' bobblehead F--- would like to spend some time on the grill!

U2Bama said:

We needed him because we need stability. We still haven't found a replacement and that makes matters even worse.

It looks like Wazoo's Mike Price and four assistant coaches will be making the move to Alabama.

Just once more I'd like to see an athletic director fire a coach who takes a new job between the regular season and postseason. As I recall, after the 1988-1989 college basketball regular season, Michigan's coach Bill Frieder signed a contract with Arizona State. As soon as athletic director Bo Schembechler found out, he fired Frieder on the spot. Assistant coach Steve Fisher assumed the head coaching duties, and sure enough, Michigan (a #3 seed) won the 1989 NCAA basketball championship.

Back
Top Bottom