David Bowie Survivor - Space Oddity poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm afraid my walk has become rather silly, and it takes me longer to get to work.

• (Don't Sit Down)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Janine

• Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud

• God Knows I'm Good

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
David Bowie says "well, I might stretch it til Wednesday" at the end of Love You Til Tuesday, which is interesting, because it's a Wednesday here in Australia. That song is going through to the playoffs.

Now we're voting for Space Oddity, also known as David Bowie in some parts. Two tracks from this record go through to the playoffs, so vote for your TWO favourites.

space_oddity.jpg

Fun fact: Ricky Gervais is on record as saying Letter to Hermione is his favourite Bowie song.

I truly love this record, I really do. I do think Space Oddity is the best track here, definitely, but I really like all the other tracks as well. Cygnet Committee is mighty impressive for a man on his second album, and I love Letter to Hermione and Unwashed as well. But my second vote goes to Memory of a Free Festival, which I just absolutely adore.

"The sun machine is coming down and we're gonna have a party..." :heart:

Question: do all the albums that tied for 8th with two votes get three songs through? The tiers didn't work out evenly at all. Fourth tier would be all the albums with one vote, but there were only four albums with one vote.

This is my plan, happy to change it if people don't like it. The first five albums were all clear, as were Hunky Dory and Scary Monsters, but Man Who Sold the World, Diamond Dogs, Lodger and Let's Dance all got two votes.

Four songs - Low, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Heroes, Station to Station
Three songs - Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Man Who Sold the World, Diamond Dogs, Lodger, Let's Dance
Two songs - Space Oddity, Young Americans, Heathen, The Next Day
One song - Everything else

This is my plan, happy to change it if people don't like it. The first five albums were all clear, as were Hunky Dory and Scary Monsters, but Man Who Sold the World, Diamond Dogs, Lodger and Let's Dance all got two votes.

Four songs - Low, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Heroes, Station to Station
Three songs - Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Man Who Sold the World, Diamond Dogs, Lodger, Let's Dance
Two songs - Space Oddity, Young Americans, Heathen, The Next Day
One song - Everything else

Looks good. The same way I would have broken it down, I think.

I like this album, but it's a bit Man Who Sold the World lite. It has the same progressive rock mindset, but it lacks the intense Mick Ronson guitar crunch that makes its successor so great. That's where the Spiders From Mars sound first crept in.

Last edited:
I prefer this record, I have to say, although I get why people would take Man Who Sold the World over it.

Just listening to Cygnet Committee now, wish this album had got three votes. A tremendous song. Whenever I listen to Destroyer's Streethawk I'm reminded of this album.

Agree with Cobbler here. Love singing along to the final track.

Same. Always makes me smile. I've actually had dreams of seeing Bowie at a festival and doing a huge crowd singalong to Memory of a Free Festival.

I don't think I've heard this album since the last time we did this, but wow, yeah, it's much better than I remembered. It's a tough choice for me when it comes to second vote (I think the first is obvious).

Deciding between: "Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed", "Cygnet Committee", "God Knows I'm Good" and "Memory of a Free Festival".

I went with the first two tracks FWIW. For me, the album peaks early. I also love Cygnet Committee and the second half of Free Festival.

Back
Top Bottom