Comic Book Dorks - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Comic Book Dorks

Fess up!

I used to be fairly into comics as a kid. My brother never stopped, and now he's slowly getting me back into them again.

Currently reading:

Civil War
Astonishing X-Men
Batman
Justice League of America---the new one
Batman trades---Long Halloween & Dark Victory

Anyone else care to join me in nerdom?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:04 AM
I was never a big comic guy, but I had a few as a kid, like Excalibur and Vigilante. I went and read (part of) Sin City after the movie came out. I also read Watchmen and some Neil Gaiman. For a while there I was reading Astonishing X-Men cause Joss Whedon is a goddamn god, but I kinda forgot about it.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
I still like comics...but I'm mainly into X-Men, Batman and Spiderman (Just certian era's)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Optic Nerve, JTHM, Lenore, Strangers in Paradise, Sandman, are some of my favorites. I haven't gotten anything new in awhile though.

I used to have LOTS of comics, now down to just 2 shortboxes.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 11-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:04 AM
I used to collect comics from...I guess 1992 through 1996 every single X title

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants/X-Force
Excalibur
Unlimited X-Men
Generation X
Cable
plus all the limitied series, Gambit, Rogue, Cable, Deadpool, Bishop, Cyclops and Phoenixs etc

my last saga was The Age Of Apocalypse which I really enjoyed then I bought probably an issue of each after that and that was it I started getting into other stuff mainly girls I probably have around 700-900 issues, bought a lot of old ones, and also got a lot from Image when they were starting plus Death of Superman, all the return of Superman Saga stuff and other crap

I have everything in great condition, bagged, sealed and eventhough I don't read them anymore I can't get myself to sell them
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Total comic book dork

Only have a couple thousand of them or so

X-men are my main habit, (X-men, Uncanny X-men, Unlimited X-men, Ultimate X-men, eXiles, Amazing X-men etc....) although there are a ton of Marvel titles I collect; some Fantastic Four and Avengers occassionally

plus a fairly large Batman collection as far as DC titles go, and the occassional small press titles, like the Kitchen Sink press title by Jay O'Barr "The Crow'

I'm also a HUGE ElfQuest fan Wendy and Richard Pini are incredible

Luckily I married a man who also collects comics and so understands the habit - encourages it even
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Started reading them again a year ago after nearly a ten year hiatus.

Mainly into DC. My favourites were the great stuff from the 80's like Watchmen, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Watchmen, Frank Miller's Dark Knight. All those multiple covers and sealed books crap ruined the industry along with Image.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
War Child

I like foxtrot and garfield, but I'm pretty sure those don't qualify
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:34 AM
I still read manga, that makes me a dork

In my country I have never seen comics
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Several years back, my 2nd oldest son's best friend moved to AZ after a fall-out of sorts with my boy...he was staying here, off and on for a short time...he left behind a box of at least 200 comic books, many of them in plastic...Rob would eventually tell my son to "do what you want with them!"...

That was over 2 years ago..I've tried to track Rob down through his mother; his phone numbers don't work and she doesn't seem interested in coming to get these comics.

Many of these comics are covered in plastic but I don't know heads or tails from what is good, valuable or junk....is there a site where I can check what these items may or may not be worth????? thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
Several years back, my 2nd oldest son's best friend moved to AZ after a fall-out of sorts with my boy...he was staying here, off and on for a short time...he left behind a box of at least 200 comic books, many of them in plastic...Rob would eventually tell my son to "do what you want with them!"...

That was over 2 years ago..I've tried to track Rob down through his mother; his phone numbers don't work and she doesn't seem interested in coming to get these comics.

Many of these comics are covered in plastic but I don't know heads or tails from what is good, valuable or junk....is there a site where I can check what these items may or may not be worth????? thanks.

There is a magazine called Wizard that would tell you what they normally go for at auctions and what available at any comic store and even some bookstores.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Wizard is fairly handy for mostly more recent, most popular titles - it's a good start

you can also check here:

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Does manga count?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sad_Girl
Total comic book dork

Only have a couple thousand of them or so

X-men are my main habit, (X-men, Uncanny X-men, Unlimited X-men, Ultimate X-men, eXiles, Amazing X-men etc....) although there are a ton of Marvel titles I collect; some Fantastic Four and Avengers occassionally

So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character
Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo

So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character

All the reasons why I read Astonishing X-Men. It was created for those of us who miss (most of) the team we grew up with: Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Kitty Pryde, the White Queen/Emma Frost (big storyline here at the moment).....and........ Colussus has returned... (it's explained in the first few issues of Astonishing). Plus, Joss Whedon is writing & he's doing a great job. Unfortunately, I believe he's leaving the book sometime next year. We'll see if the title stays as good.

But yeah, I find it very hard to pick up any of the other X-books. The stories are too rooted in history for a newcomer to take on; I don't like most of the teams; and many are drawn in too much of an anime style, which I've never liked (sorry, folks! ).

I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics.