Comic Book Dorks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Fess up!

I used to be fairly into comics as a kid. My brother never stopped, and now he's slowly getting me back into them again.

Currently reading:

Civil War
Astonishing X-Men
Batman
Justice League of America---the new one
Batman trades---Long Halloween & Dark Victory

Anyone else care to join me in nerdom? :wink:

I was never a big comic guy, but I had a few as a kid, like Excalibur and Vigilante. I went and read (part of) Sin City after the movie came out. I also read Watchmen and some Neil Gaiman. For a while there I was reading Astonishing X-Men cause Joss Whedon is a goddamn god, but I kinda forgot about it.

Optic Nerve, JTHM, Lenore, Strangers in Paradise, Sandman, are some of my favorites. I haven't gotten anything new in awhile though. :slant:

I used to have LOTS of comics, now down to just 2 shortboxes. :grumpy:

I used to collect comics from...I guess 1992 through 1996 every single X title

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants/X-Force
Excalibur
Unlimited X-Men
Generation X
Cable
plus all the limitied series, Gambit, Rogue, Cable, Deadpool, Bishop, Cyclops and Phoenixs etc

my last saga was The Age Of Apocalypse which I really enjoyed then I bought probably an issue of each after that and that was it I started getting into other stuff mainly girls:wink: I probably have around 700-900 issues, bought a lot of old ones, and also got a lot from Image when they were starting plus Death of Superman, all the return of Superman Saga stuff and other crap

I have everything in great condition, bagged, sealed and eventhough I don't read them anymore I can't get myself to sell them

:nerd: Total comic book dork :lol:

Only have a couple thousand of them or so :shifty:

X-men are my main habit, (X-men, Uncanny X-men, Unlimited X-men, Ultimate X-men, eXiles, Amazing X-men etc....) although there are a ton of Marvel titles I collect; some Fantastic Four and Avengers occassionally

plus a fairly large Batman collection as far as DC titles go, and the occassional small press titles, like the Kitchen Sink press title by Jay O'Barr "The Crow'

I'm also a HUGE ElfQuest fan Wendy and Richard Pini are incredible :rockon:

Luckily I married a man who also collects comics and so understands the habit - encourages it even :wink:

Started reading them again a year ago after nearly a ten year hiatus.

Mainly into DC. My favourites were the great stuff from the 80's like Watchmen, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Watchmen, Frank Miller's Dark Knight. All those multiple covers and sealed books crap ruined the industry along with Image.

Several years back, my 2nd oldest son's best friend moved to AZ after a fall-out of sorts with my boy...he was staying here, off and on for a short time...he left behind a box of at least 200 comic books, many of them in plastic...Rob would eventually tell my son to "do what you want with them!"...

That was over 2 years ago..I've tried to track Rob down through his mother; his phone numbers don't work and she doesn't seem interested in coming to get these comics.

Many of these comics are covered in plastic but I don't know heads or tails from what is good, valuable or junk....is there a site where I can check what these items may or may not be worth????? thanks.

Mr. BAW said:
Several years back, my 2nd oldest son's best friend moved to AZ after a fall-out of sorts with my boy...he was staying here, off and on for a short time...he left behind a box of at least 200 comic books, many of them in plastic...Rob would eventually tell my son to "do what you want with them!"...

That was over 2 years ago..I've tried to track Rob down through his mother; his phone numbers don't work and she doesn't seem interested in coming to get these comics.

Many of these comics are covered in plastic but I don't know heads or tails from what is good, valuable or junk....is there a site where I can check what these items may or may not be worth????? thanks.

There is a magazine called Wizard that would tell you what they normally go for at auctions and what available at any comic store and even some bookstores.

Sad_Girl said:
:nerd: Total comic book dork :lol:

Only have a couple thousand of them or so :shifty:

X-men are my main habit, (X-men, Uncanny X-men, Unlimited X-men, Ultimate X-men, eXiles, Amazing X-men etc....) although there are a ton of Marvel titles I collect; some Fantastic Four and Avengers occassionally

So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character :huh:

Mofo said:

So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character :huh:

:lol: All the reasons why I read Astonishing X-Men. It was created for those of us who miss (most of) the team we grew up with: Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Kitty Pryde, the White Queen/Emma Frost (big storyline here at the moment).....and........:shh: Colussus has returned...:shh: (it's explained in the first few issues of Astonishing). Plus, Joss Whedon is writing & he's doing a great job. Unfortunately, I believe he's leaving the book sometime next year. We'll see if the title stays as good.

But yeah, I find it very hard to pick up any of the other X-books. The stories are too rooted in history for a newcomer to take on; I don't like most of the teams; and many are drawn in too much of an anime style, which I've never liked (sorry, folks! :wink: ).

I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics.

Mofo said:

So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character : huh:
Utoo said:

:lol: All the reasons why I read Astonishing X-Men. It was created for those of us who miss (most of) the team we grew up with: Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Kitty Pryde, the White Queen/Emma Frost (big storyline here at the moment).....and........:shh: Colussus has returned...: shh: (it's explained in the first few issues of Astonishing). Plus, Joss Whedon is writing & he's doing a great job. Unfortunately, I believe he's leaving the book sometime next year. We'll see if the title stays as good.

But yeah, I find it very hard to pick up any of the other X-books. The stories are too rooted in history for a newcomer to take on; I don't like most of the teams; and many are drawn in too much of an anime style, which I've never liked (sorry, folks! : wink: ).

I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics.

Anime :yuck:

Identity Crisis Rocked :up:

But I have to disagree on Amazing X-men :no: While I did appreciate what Joss Whedon did with Kitty Pryde's character, I cannot stand what has happened to Cyclops, who was my favorite X-man before this. :no: Everything Whedon has done with him has been totally out of character - and I can't stand the white queen being involved with the x-men. I came into this in the 80's and the White Queen I know and love to hate would not have anything to do with Cyclops or the X-men. :|

Gambit as the Horseman of Apocalypse in Uncanny has been an interesting storyline imo - Gambit being my second favorite character - they tend to screw him up often and try to bring him back which is sometimes hard to stand. Marvel has too much writer turn over these days - and not enough character continuity - Colossus and Psylocke's deaths and then Resurrections being perfect examples of the worst of what happens when there are too many writers allowed too much creative license with important characters :sigh:

The Nightcrawler series was really excellent, from about two years back or so - that one stood out as particularly well written and drawn :up: as did the Maddox limited series which I understand led to the new X-factor, but I have yet to pick any of those up.

Mofo said:
I used to collect comics from...I guess 1992 through 1996 every single X title

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants/X-Force
Excalibur
Unlimited X-Men
Generation X
Cable
plus all the limitied series, Gambit, Rogue, Cable, Deadpool, Bishop, Cyclops and Phoenixs etc

my last saga was The Age Of Apocalypse which I really enjoyed then I bought probably an issue of each after that and that was it I started getting into other stuff mainly girls:wink: I probably have around 700-900 issues, bought a lot of old ones, and also got a lot from Image when they were starting plus Death of Superman, all the return of Superman Saga stuff and other crap

I have everything in great condition, bagged, sealed and eventhough I don't read them anymore I can't get myself to sell them

Right there with ya. I still have my 500+ comics all sealed up and waiting for...oh i don't know...a buyer. :lol:

I used to go every week and pick up all of my comics, mostly marvel. When the "Man of Steel" series came out I only bought the first two issues because I couldn't follow the story. I didn't realize right away that I had to buy 3 other superman titles just to follow the story :slant:

I faded out of the comic book seen when 10 million x-men titles started popping up.

I agree with daafish about the X-men titles. X-men, X-Factor, X-Force, Uncanny X-men, Excalibur, Unlimited X-men, X-babies, X-farm animals, X-wives. It got silly and impossible to follow. There are still a ton of X-titles today. Of course, there are some good stories in there but I don't have the time or money to sift through the pile.

Stephen King Dark Tower fans should know that Marvel is putting out a comics adaption early next year with art by Jae Lee. Could be good.

Utoo said:
I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics. [/B]

Me too!!

Amazing how back in the early nineties, a top selling book was selling over a million copies but until recently a top selling book was lucky to sell 50-75000 copies. The industry was decimated when a lot of readers left along with the impact of videogames. But their has been a revival of late to the genre thanks to projects like Identity Crisis.:up:

trevster2k said:

Me too!!

Amazing how back in the early nineties, a top selling book was selling over a million copies but until recently a top selling book was lucky to sell 50-75000 copies. The industry was decimated when a lot of readers left along with the impact of videogames. But their has been a revival of late to the genre thanks to projects like Identity Crisis.:up:

Yeah, it really is amazing. Comics were huge in the mid-90s. They really blossomed with the Death of Superman, I think. There were some great X-Men storylines around that time, too, so fans of the cartoon jumped on board and started reading. But then X-Men got complicated (I stopped at the whole Phalanx thing). Gen-13 came out and the focus switched to drawing anime-style girls with giant boobs. And Superman split into a red and a blue Superman, and then became some sort of Electric Superman. That was when I bailed.

But yeah, now there's some really great writing again (in the big superhero books, that is; I never really ventured into more indie books). Identity Crisis was just awesome to me. Never was I the slightest bit interested in foagies like Green Arrow. Now I'm into that stuff!

Sad_Girl----Yeah, you're right about Whedon & Astonishing X-Men. Thinking about it more closely, I guess one of the main reasons I like it is Kitty Pryde. I'm glad to see her back & cool. But you're right---the treatment of Cyclops sucks. And I'm not fond of the cat-like Beast. As for the Emma Frost bit, that took me a while to get used to (though hasn't she been a member of the team in other X-books for a couple of years?). You may be glad to know that her bit is really falling apart right now and making for some interesting stuff.....

I'll probably read a few more issues of Astonishing and then may drop it off. Marvel just isn't doing it for me right now. The Civil War proper series----kick-ass. Civil War X-men---sucked. The Spider-Man Civil War tie-ins----predictable, but pretty good. But I'm just not drawn to most of the Marvel stuff right now. After years of corny heroes and corny villains, I'm being turned on by DC again.

Utoo said:

Yeah, it really is amazing. Comics were huge in the mid-90s. They really blossomed with the Death of Superman, I think. There were some great X-Men storylines around that time, too, so fans of the cartoon jumped on board and started reading. But then X-Men got complicated (I stopped at the whole Phalanx thing). Gen-13 came out and the focus switched to drawing anime-style girls with giant boobs. And Superman split into a red and a blue Superman, and then became some sort of Electric Superman. That was when I bailed.

But yeah, now there's some really great writing again (in the big superhero books, that is; I never really ventured into more indie books). Identity Crisis was just awesome to me. Never was I the slightest bit interested in foagies like Green Arrow. Now I'm into that stuff!

Sad_Girl----Yeah, you're right about Whedon & Astonishing X-Men. Thinking about it more closely, I guess one of the main reasons I like it is Kitty Pryde. I'm glad to see her back & cool. But you're right---the treatment of Cyclops sucks. And I'm not fond of the cat-like Beast. As for the Emma Frost bit, that took me a while to get used to (though hasn't she been a member of the team in other X-books for a couple of years?). You may be glad to know that her bit is really falling apart right now and making for some interesting stuff.....

I'll probably read a few more issues of Astonishing and then may drop it off. Marvel just isn't doing it for me right now. The Civil War proper series----kick-ass. Civil War X-men---sucked. The Spider-Man Civil War tie-ins----predictable, but pretty good. But I'm just not drawn to most of the Marvel stuff right now. After years of corny heroes and corny villains, I'm being turned on by DC again.

I've not picked up the last few Astonishing X-men, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the more recent storyline stuff, but a good friend of mine and fellow comic book dork has been following it and has hinted to me that she thinks Emma will be turning back into the evil bitch I knew and loved :wink: so there may be hope there, yet. :lol:

Emma Frost was turned into a 'good guy' and member of the X family during Generation X actually in the early 1990's - I wasn't happy about it, but she kept a seperate institute from the Westchester School and the distance made her more believable - her motives and methods were still different enough from the others that she wasn't really part of the team.

I suppose a big part of my anti-Emma prejudice is directly because of the fact that I've always been a huge Jean Grey fan, the Dark Phoenix saga was really great and though they have made some major mess-ups where she is concerned in the years since then, she is generally a good, solid character. Her being killed off and replaced was an insult to me as a long-time fan.

I've read more DC in the past couple of years tha I ever used to - they are much better at continuity than Marvel is, their editors keep a much tighter leash on the writers and they don't go so far with one group as Marvel does (per the too many X-titles to keep up with - I mean, Wolverine for awhile was on EVERY X-team plus his own solo series - continuity be damned, he was popular and making them money! :rolleyes: )

Nightwing is a surprisingly solid series for DC, and the Legends of the Dark Knight series is a must-read for fans of the dark, angsty, early years Batman. There is also the Batman-Superman rivalry which is always entertaining! :yes:

Just read the Batman: Hush miniseries. Jeph Loeb is one kick-ass writer. :faint: He needs to keep writing Batman.

Never read a comic book in my life, but I'm drooling with anticipation for Marvel's presentation of Stephen King's Dark Tower mini-series thing. God, that's going to be good.

A really good read is Squadron Supreme. An unique look at superheroes from a semi-real world perspective. No holds barred and in your face.

It first appeared as a limited series a few years back under the name Supreme Power. The TPBs are available and I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom