College Football: Mid-Season Report - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:17 PM
The Big Ten refs for the Illinois/Ohio game ate dinner friday night at the place where I work. None of them wore glasses. One of them had on an XFL jacket. I think maybe they need to have their eyes checked.
Anyway, there is something about Memorial Stadium that causes poor officiating. The Michigan game two years ago, almost every Bears game that has been played there this year and now the Ohio state game. I don't know if Illinios would have beaten Ohio St. if they would have tied it up again but they definately tied them. Possession rules are so arbitray.....

Old 11-18-2002, 10:34 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Possession rules, holding calls, so many of them are judgement when it comes dow to it; you could probably call a hold on every offensive play if you were picky.

Now I hear that the Big 10 officials union want Paterno to be sanctioned or silenced; give me a break! Officials are the ultimate authority in the final outcome of every game that is played; nothing can be done to overturn their calls, so it should at least be acceptable to criticise them (which is a courageous thing to do since JoePa has to face them about 8-10 times a year).

~U2Alabama

Old 11-19-2002, 11:32 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

According to a reporter, Coach Pa has an effigy of a ref hanging by a noose on his office door. I think this is the reason why the Union is upset with him. Moreover, I don't feel that Paterno has the right to touch any ref, no matter how poor the call was. He crossed the line there, if sanctions are to be brought against him, that's a pretty damn good reason why. Like mom always said, "keep your hands to yourself."
Old 11-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Well, Jo Pa was unhappy with the ref's for the Michigan game because they ruled a completion for the Nitany Lions an incompletion. Yes, it was a bad call. But they did a review of the entire game and there were just as many missed calls that went against Michigan.

The Illinois game though just seemed lopsided to me. Just about every crucial call went for the Buckeyes. Just seemed fishy to me as I said before. The Big Ten as a whole has alot more to gain if OSU makes it to the title game. My guess is that Michigan wont catch any breaks this Saturday either. If they win it will be because they actually beat OSU and not because of the refs.

I guess my point is that usually the bad calls even out if you look at a game as a whole. But there have been a few instances this year where it appears this may have not been the case.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #50
Refugee

waaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
My guess is that Michigan wont catch any breaks this Saturday either. If they win it will be because they actually beat OSU and not because of the refs.

start making your excuses now.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:21 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What excuses??? You guys are suppose to win for crying out loud and it is at your stadium. Last time I checked you are ranked 2nd and we are 9th. You are undefeated, we have lost twice. So what are the excuses? Looks like you have a better team to me. So if you do somehow lose, it would appear that YOU are the one that would need to make excuses.

I may be wrong but based on the games I have seen the Buckeyes play lately, most of the calls seem to benefit them in crucial situations. All I 'am saying is that I would expect this trend to continue since OSU and the Big 10 has way more riding on this game than Michigan does. Maybe I will be proven wrong. I hope so. I would just like to see it come down to who physically wins it on the field and not due to a call by a referee either way.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #52
Refugee

nobody wants to see the refs determine who wins the game. the team who plays better that day should win.

also, do you actually think the refs will make calls in osu favor because a big ten team has a chance to play in the national championship game? i truly believe that getting breaks/calls even out over the course of the season. you win some, you lose some.

whatever happens sat., it's gonna be a hell of a game. imo the best rivalry in college football.

go bucks!

p.s. sorry if a pissed you off blue room

late
Old 11-20-2002, 09:36 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

No, I'am not saying that a ref will make a blatant wrong call to favor a team. What I mean is that in a situation where a play or call is not clear the ref's seem to error in favor of the Buckeyes. Could be just a coincidence. But I have noticed a trend. The Illinois game just pointed it out alot more clearly. I havent heard alot of Buckeye fans say that Illinois didnt actually score. I think they know they did. Still, that doesnt mean Illinois wins the game. But there should have been another OT (assuming the extra point would have been made).

I agree though, it is a great rivalry and actually one I enjoy more than Michigan State or Notre Dame. I hate those two programs! LOL I dont like OSU but I can give them some respect (just a little though ) I have a neighbor who is a Buckeye fan and he shows tremendous class when it comes to this game. I like to think I do the same in return. Now my MSU neighbors are a different story! They can be very nasty if they win.

Good luck Buckeyes (But not to much )

PS, U2ME3, no offense taken and I wasnt pissed.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

From a Michigan fan...

Congratulations to Ohio State; they played a solid game and deserved to win.

Michigan really should have scored on the one drive in the first half when John Navarre threw the corner fade to Braylon Edwards, who was covered by Chris Gamble. I know Gamble is a good athlete...but Edwards had about a 6 inch height advantage, and the ball was thrown nice and high. Edwards didn't need to push off on Gamble to catch it.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:56 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2ME3
i truly believe that getting breaks/calls even out over the course of the season. you win some, you lose some.
That's an excellent point, BUT, when you have 3 closes losses as Penn State has had, or when you have 1 close loss to the conference champion/national champion contender as Illinois had, the balancing act is irrelevent. I continue to agree with Joe Paterno and his actions and door deorations (his wife added a JoePa doll to the ensemble last week).

We got upstaged by our in-state rival Auburn Saturday at our own stadium. No one picked them to win. I sat through the game in the stadium with my wife, who is an Auburn fan. The road team has won the past 4 years.

I am disturbed by the increasingly violent post-game celebrations breaking out around the country. The savagery caught on videotape in Morgantown, West Virginia Thursday night and in Columbus, Ohio Saturday night was horrifying, with the cars turned over and storefronts being kicked in. I hope I never live to see that first hand. It's football, it should be fun and you should celebrate in class.

I wish I were going to Hawaii this weekend, as long as they don't start a fight on the field with our team as they did with Cincinnatti.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-28-2002, 05:56 AM   #56
War Child

Local Time: 03:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2Bama

in Columbus, Ohio Saturday night was horrifying, with the cars turned over and storefronts being kicked in.

Yeah, the word is that after the game, one Carr was flamed in the Ann Arbor press, while 9 cars were flamed on the streets of Columbus.

LJ for Heisman!