College Football: Mid-Season Report - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2002, 09:03 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 PM

Just some thoughts:

Two unbeatens have gone down so far today--Notre Dame and NC State. I wonder how Tyrone Willingham feels now. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his pensiveness and refusal to look any other way but stonefaced annoys me.

Oklahoma looked pretty snazzy today against a good Colorado team. The defense was dominant and our offense was pretty good. I honestly don't think one of Hybl's interceptions was his fault. The defender was lying on the ground and then popped up right at the perfect moment. Overall, I felt good about it. I just wish someone would mention some of OUr players for the Heisman. Quentin is a decent choice, imho.

Still rooting for Georgia. Hey, they're my other alma mater. Go DAWGS! And I'm still mad that my sister is getting 80 some points on ESPN's pigskin pick'em for picking Boston College.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:57 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 01:57 PM

i agree Heartland Girl, Quinton Griffin is a little Emmitt Smith (catch 22)

I think the Sooners of Oklahoma are oft overlooked for the Heisman trophy. Remember Weinke won over Heiple a couple of years ago, but who won the championship

As for Notre Dame,

Texas just won, barely over Nebraska. Good game, Chrissy Simms threw for 419 yards.

Alabama is ranked #12, correct, won today too.

I ahven't seen the Georgia score.

Old 11-03-2002, 02:15 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I wonder how Tyrone Willingham feels now. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his pensiveness and refusal to look any other way but stonefaced annoys me.
willingham is the best thing to happen to notre dame in years. he is all class. despite this loss i'm incredibly proud of him and the irish. they far exceeded everyone's expectations this year already.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:04 PM   #19
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Big Grin GO BGSU!

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

As for Bowling Green, let them play Wake Forest in a good bowl game.

I still can't believe that we're 8-0! I never could have even fathomed that we'd be ranked while I was in school here--it's pretty cool. And yes, of course we don't have a chance. We're in the MAC for Christ's sake. But still, this is pretty awesome.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:00 AM   #20
Kid A

from everything i've heard and read, Willingham is not only an excellent coach of the game, but his integrity and decency have earned him universal respect among people associated with college football

you can't win em all, and Notre Dame was not even supposed to be in this situation, they've over-acheived all season
Old 11-04-2002, 02:31 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

More thoughts:

I'm not trying to belittle the season that Notre Dame has had thus far, and I'm not saying Willingham isn't a great coach. I would definitely vote for him as coach of the year. He just annoys me, and I have a right to that feeling.

Did anyone see Mack Brown after the Nebraska game? The reporter was trying to interview Simms, and Brown steps in and interrupts, "I don't care what anyone says. This kid played like the best quarterback in the country tonight."

Alright, Mack, we get it. A lot of people think you made too big a sacrifice to get Simms to go to Texas, and many think that he hasn't been worth the trouble, but for crying out loud, lay off the "best QB in the nation" crap for five minutes. He doesn't care what anyone thinks? Uh, I think you do, Mack.

And yes, LBB, I think the Heisman voters wished they'd waited until after the Orange Bowl to cast their votes. There might have been a different result.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:30 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And everything changed within a few Saturday hours.

I still believe in Oklahoma.

And Alabama now owns the state of Tennessee.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-05-2002, 07:13 AM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
And Alabama now owns the state of Tennessee.

~U2Alabama
Good, now you can finally take credit for AL Gore, Justin Timberlake, and those lovely Mannings'.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:27 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:57 PM
It's too bad Iowa had a mental let down against Iowa State this year, otherwise they'd be unbeaten. I really do think Iowa might be the best football team in the country.

Offense: They've got it all. Best Oline in the country.

The most efficent QB in the country.

One of the best RB in the country(hurt right now with a bum hand, should be back soon), in fact, have many good RB's.

One of the best TE's in the nation.

One of the best WR corps in the nation.

The best place kicker in the nation.

Defense:
Best Run D in the nation.

Most sacks in Big Ten.

Knocked out 8 QB's so far this year.

Pass defense improving. One more thing to add here. A lot of talk has been about Iowa having a weak secondary. Mentioning that they give up a lot of yards through the air. It's misleading. Iowa has been ahead by so many points early on this year, in fact, all of this year, that teams HAVE TO PASS. Defending a pass on every play is very tough. Teams are going to get their pass yards. Look what they did to Charles Rogers, and Michigan came out throwing and they lost big time.

Special Teams: I would say tops in the country. They've blocked multiple fieldgoals, punts, return yards are great. They also have the best field position average around.

I posted facts. A lot of attention has been given to Iowa State(which I like too), and Iowa has unfairly been ignored. They went to Happy Valley, and THE BIG HOUSE and beat two very good teams. And they beat the easy ones. They had 5 bad minutes against Iowa state, a team they were winning by 24 in the 2nd half.

sorry for going on for so long. But Iowa has proven that they are a great team. They are 6th right now in some polls, and I think they should be higher, but if you're unbeaten you don't deserve to be ranked lower than a beaten team.

I just hope everyone loses but Iowa and some chance they get to show what they got on a big time stage.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
It's too bad Iowa had a mental let down against Iowa State this year, otherwise they'd be unbeaten. I really do think Iowa might be the best football team in the country.
This is just more proof that we need a playoff system in college football. I hate the way a team can lose just one game early in the season and then play great the rest of the way but still have practically zero chance for a shot at the national title. Of course it really hurts in this case since I've been a huge Hawkeye fan since I was a kid.

What's worse is Iowa might not even get play in the Rose Bowl despite how well they are playing because Ohio State also is unbeaten in conference play so far and would win the tiebreaker for the right to go to Pasedena because of their unblemished non-conference record. I wish that OSU and Iowa were playing each other this year so the thing could actually be decided on the field.

I wonder if Brad Banks has a shot at being a Heisman finalist. The ESPN2 people certainly were plugging him for it during today's game, which was nice to see. I think Kirk Ferenz should definitely be considered for Coach of the Year as well.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:55 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If the Rose Bowl is NOT the BCS Championship game, don't they try to accomodate the old Big Ten/Pac Ten allotment? If that is the case, AND if Iowa and Ohio State win out, it seems that Ohio State would go to the Fiesta Bowl, and Iowa would likely reach the BCS top 8 by season's end, thus going to the Rose Bowl as an at-large contender. I still don't understand why non-conference games (Iowa-Iowa State) play into the Big Ten title claim; if anything, Iowa and Ohio State should be co-champions of the Big Ten (if both win out). Frankly, I think the conference is flawed for not having a conference championship game.

Oklahoma disappointed me, but perhaps aTm's win will secure R.C. Slocum's job for another season so that Auburn and Tennessee fans will quit bothering me about our Coach Fran going to take Slocum's place at aTm; I bought a Coach Fran bobblehead at Arby's the other day.

Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama and the late z edge, September 7, 2002
And NO, I am not shooting a "bird," that is my index finger.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #27
Refugee

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2Bama
[B]

if anything, Iowa and Ohio State should be co-champions of the Big Ten (if both win out). Frankly, I think the conference is flawed for not having a conference championship game.
Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

QUOTE]

Bama-

If Iowa and the Buckeyes win out they will be considered co-champs of the Big Ten. In the past, pre-BCS, if there were co-champs, the team that had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest time would represent the conference at that game.

You are right about a conference champion game.

Go Bucks!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:18 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2ME3
If Iowa and the Buckeyes win out they will be considered co-champs of the Big Ten. In the past, pre-BCS, if there were co-champs, the team that had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest time would represent the conference at that game.
I knew this was the rule prior to the Rose Bowl becoming the 4th BCS Bowl, but I wasn't sure if they still factored in the Big 10 and Pac 10 runners-up the same way. Didn't Purdue or Iowa get to go a few years ago because they had the longest absence?

If both teams win out, this puts Iowa in Pasadena as they have not been since the early 90s, correct?

~U2Alabama
Old 11-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #29
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:57 PM
lets talk about WSU - Never any respect! The Cougs are a damn good team this year. With one Loss to OSU - in which they played terrible. Jasson Gesser is awesome. If they end up in a rematch against OSU in the Rose Bowl - WSU will win. If one of the other top teams falter down the stretch (i would love to see VT beat / depants Miami - wishfull thinking) I would look for WSU in the Fiesta Bowl. They have 2 games left (at home vs. Washingotn in the apple cup and at UCLA - which ABC asked them to move from this weekend to dec 7 so they could carry it). UW game could be interesting because that is like a season to itself, but they will win. WSU will win their final 2 games. Wazzu will finish with 1 loss to a good OSU team and still no love. end of rant.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:21 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

~U2Alabama

U2Bama and the late z edge, September 7, 2002
And NO, I am not shooting a "bird," that is my index finger.
Ha ha! Whoo! Great picture!

Ah, memories...

LOL at "the late z edge"