College Football 2006-2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:
Actually all 3 service Academies will be decent competition this season (Ask the Vols about Air Force).

And I mentioned Michigan specifically (also Nebraska) cause they are in the highest profile game this weekend, but to me may be at a disadvantage cause their players haven't faced the caliber of opposition yet that they'll face, whereas ND has played a top notch opponent (Penn St) and a mid level opponent from a top conference (GT). Clearly stiffer competition than a "mid major" (Central Mich) and the bottom feeder of the SEC (Vandy).

It just seems that if a school is serious about a run at the national title, they should avoid these gimme games(certainly avoid more than one) at the begining of the season and face strong competition to become battle tested.

Sorry, Navy and Army are not top caliber teams at all this year and look at the rest of their schedule after Michigan State (other than USC), all under your definition, patsy games. Air Force is mediocre at best. Who is to say Penn State is a top notch opponent either. At this point in the season nobody knows along with most other teams. What if Penn State goes 5-7? Did ND really go out on a limb? The verdict is still out on Penn State, they lost alot of key players from last years team. Like I said, if you really pay attention to who Michigan played and how those teams have done so far against good competition your argument is just off. I guess Alabama is a bottom feeder of the SEC also as they only beat Vandy by 3 points, at home. Also CMU almost beat Boston College who beat Clemson this past weekend. Amazing, you rip on those opponents but seem to think two other unranked teams Air Force and Georgia Tech are top caliber? Also, if you want to win a national title you DO have to play some lesser opponents. You name one national champion in the last 20 years that have even played over 50% of their games against all ranked opponents. I dont think you will find one and if you do they are few and far between. Most likely if you do its because they were in a tough conference that year and HAD to play that many opponents, they didnt choose to. EVERY single major university plays its share of games they should win easily.

Really, the smart move is to play the lesser opponents at the beginning of the season when you are still tuning up to game speed.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

You name one national champion in the last 20 years that have even played over 50% of their games against all ranked opponents.

Florida State in 1993 (ACC + Florida, Miami, ND and Nebraska) comes immediately to mind. I'm sure there are others.

speedracer said:

Florida State in 1993 (ACC + Florida, Miami, ND and Nebraska) comes immediately to mind. I'm sure there are others.

I dont think the ACC was very strong in 1993, it is now, but it wasnt then. Florida State basically owned that conference then.

I guess some good though can come from playing Central Michigan and Vandy to start (which was the original point anyway as it was suggested you cant win a title doing that). Because Michigan just throttled Notre Dame yesterday. :shrug:

OK, so I went and looked, and you are correct. Florida State played 6 ranked teams in the regular season that year. They were ranked in the top 20 when they played them. All 6 of those teams did not finish the season ranked in the top 20 though. 4 of them did. So thats under 50%. Either way you are hovering right at or around 50%. That was my point. :shrug: EVERY single major team plays at least a couple of games they SHOULD win easily and a team does not have to play most of their games against ranked opponents to win a title.

Last edited:
FSU was atrocious last night.

I was in Tallahassee to see that barf-fest.

The inept play-calling, clock management, and last 5 minutes overall were pure hell.

The special teams were the only thing that kept them in the game, they deserved to lose.

My dad and I were behind a gate where the FSU players and staff came through to go back to the locker room, and we were 6 inches from Bobby Bowden.

So my dad yelled "FIRE YOUR SON JEFF!" right in his ear, it was bittersweet.

I'd rather see Raymond Babbitt run the offense than Jeff Bowden.

Blue Room said:
OK, so I went and looked, and you are correct. Florida State played 6 ranked teams in the regular season that year. They were ranked in the top 20 when they played them. All 6 of those teams did not finish the season ranked in the top 20 though. 4 of them did. So thats under 50%. Either way you are hovering right at or around 50%. That was my point. :shrug: EVERY single major team plays at least a couple of games they SHOULD win easily and a team does not have to play most of their games against ranked opponents to win a title.

Ah, but you forget that West Virginia also finished the regular season 11-0 against a weak schedule (not entirely their fault, as schedules are set far in advance). They got the shaft as 11-0 Nebraska and 11-1 FSU finished the season ranked #1 and #2 and got to play for the de facto national championship game in the Orange Bowl.

West Virginia's only chance to finish #1 was to hope for a FSU win or tie combined with an impressive victory over Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Instead, they got thoroughly embarrassed, losing something like 42-17 to Florida.

I think that nowadays, with the top teams not able to be as dominant as in previous years and with the extra BCS championship game (basically making it a 4-team playoff), it is even more important for teams to play a reasonably tough schedule. A strong 11-1 has a better chance of winning the championship than a weak 12-0, in my opinion.

LemonMacPhisto said:
FSU was atrocious last night.

I was in Tallahassee to see that barf-fest.

The inept play-calling, clock management, and last 5 minutes overall were pure hell.

The special teams were the only thing that kept them in the game, they deserved to lose.

My dad and I were behind a gate where the FSU players and staff came through to go back to the locker room, and we were 6 inches from Bobby Bowden.

So my dad yelled "FIRE YOUR SON JEFF!" right in his ear, it was bittersweet.

I'd rather see Raymond Babbitt run the offense than Jeff Bowden.

Now, now. We are not negative like the Gators, creating websites to fire people. We turn that negative into a positive :wink:.

http://www.hirejeffbowden.com/

needs to be updated though :shifty:

At least we were able to run the ball last night . . . a bit more than we have in other games this season :reject:. And the 3rd and 4th quaters were fun, until the last 5 minutes.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

Now, now. We are not negative like the Gators, creating websites to fire people. We turn that negative into a positive :wink:.

http://www.hirejeffbowden.com/

needs to be updated though :shifty:

At least we were able to run the ball last night . . . a bit more than we have in other games this season :reject:. And the 3rd and 4th quaters were fun, until the last 5 minutes.

true true, but they should not have even been in the game.

They need a VP of Common Sense to veto all of Jeffy's little calls, or something to wake Bobby up.

gherman said:
All I have to say is..... GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up:

and to speedracer, you still miss my point, look back at the thread. I was responding to the post that said nothing good can come from Michigan scheduling Vandy and Central Michigan before Notre Dame. Well, yes, there is. Honestly those opponents are not that weak. I see some division 1 teams scheduling division 1aa teams. Michigan also played Notre Dame in non conference. I dont think it fits the criteria for being bashed for their scheduling. Next year Michigan has to play Notre Dame and Oregon in non conference. I dont and didnt think they deserved the criticism and my point was every major school schedules games against lesser opponents including the Seminoles that you pointed out. :shrug: (I'm assuming you are a USC fan though)

West Virginia? They play in a crappy conference. If they played in one of the big 4 conferences they would have received plenty of respect for going undefeated. So, yes, if a team doesnt play in a major conference then they should go with tougher non conference opponents to have a shot. But any team in a major conference doesnt really need to do that. Anyway, last time I checked, W. Virginia is ranked number 4 even though they are in the Big East. What major teams did they play in non conference this year?

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

(I'm assuming you are a USC fan though)

Actually, I grew up in Michigan rooting for the Blue and I currently work at UCLA. Don't worry, I'm embarrassed enough for the both of us.

Snarkiness aside now,

I was responding to the post that said nothing good can come from Michigan scheduling Vandy and Central Michigan before Notre Dame. Well, yes, there is. Honestly those opponents are not that weak.

Vanderbilt won 5 games last year, 2 games each of the three years before that. And CMU has been a mediocre to bad team in the MAC for the last several years. The only victories of note I ever remember them recording were against Michigan State twice in the '90s, so that doesn't really count.

I agree that Michigan's nonconference scheduling isn't as ridiculous as a lot of other teams (Nebraska and Kansas State back in the '90s comes to mind). But I miss the days when they used to schedule 2 or 3 reasonably strong teams non-conference (1991: BC, ND, FSU, 1994: BC, ND, Colorado, 1996: Colorado, BC, UCLA, etc.) I think Michigan has softened up a bit in this decade.

West Virginia? They play in a crappy conference. If they played in one of the big 4 conferences they would have received plenty of respect for going undefeated. So, yes, if a team doesnt play in a major conference then they should go with tougher non conference opponents to have a shot. But any team in a major conference doesnt really need to do that. Anyway, last time I checked, W. Virginia is ranked number 4 even though they are in the Big East. What major teams did they play in non conference this year?

I don't understand why WVU is ranked #4 either; I guess pollsters were impressed by their win over Georgia last year and their returning contingent of players, or something like that. But with their schedule, if they lose one game I think they're out of the BCS mix.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Vanderbilt won 5 games last year, 2 games each of the three years before that. And CMU has been a mediocre to bad team in the MAC for the last several years. The only victories of note I ever remember them recording were against Michigan State twice in the '90s, so that doesn't really count.

I agree that Michigan's nonconference scheduling isn't as ridiculous as a lot of other teams (Nebraska and Kansas State back in the '90s comes to mind). But I miss the days when they used to schedule 2 or 3 reasonably strong teams non-conference (1991: BC, ND, FSU, 1994: BC, ND, Colorado, 1996: Colorado, BC, UCLA, etc.) I think Michigan has softened up a bit in this decade.

I don't understand why WVU is ranked #4 either; I guess pollsters were impressed by their win over Georgia last year and their returning contingent of players, or something like that. But with their schedule, if they lose one game I think they're out of the BCS mix.

But we are talking about this season. Vandy played Alabama to a 3 point game at Alabama. They also played Arkansas to a 2 point game this weekend. Last year they HAD Florida beat. Yeah, they didnt win, but they are competitive is my point. CMU is one of the upper MAC teams this year. Brian Kelly is an excellent coach and is turning that program around. They played Boston College close and almost won for their season opener. That is my point. You are going back to how these teams were a decade ago? What does that have to do with how they are this year? With the limited scholarship rules there is alot more parity since the early 90's. There are alot fewer true cupcake games IMO. Michigan has always had at least one major opponent in non conference alot of times 2 (like next year). That is more than enough.

I agree on West Virginia, overrated (and I think they will lose to Louisville anyway). But it goes to my point about if you are in a strong conference and lose a conference game you are still in the mix. Even if your non conference schedule isnt loaded with top 10 opponents every week. I still say, that type of scheduling when you play in a major conference is just not a smart move.

Blue Room said:

I guess some good though can come from playing Central Michigan and Vandy to start (which was the original point anyway as it was suggested you cant win a title doing that). Because Michigan just throttled Notre Dame yesterday. :shrug:
Yes Michigan throttled ND.
So they didn't hurt themselves in that game by warming up against lesser opponents (argue all you want about how good Vandy and CMU are, I'll be surprised if they win 6 games combined this year).
My other example (I wasn't picking on your alma mater Blue Room, just noting that eating cupcakes early in a season can make one soft when it comes time for the corned beef & cabbage) in the scenario, Nebraska got whomped by USC (didn't help that some NU players shot their mouths off to boot).

So hats off to Michigan, they looked very strong Saturday, and the Mich/OSU game may have huge national title implications for both squads this year. Could end up being the regular season game of the year.

starsgoblue said:
Three words for Penn State: Ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha? I'm laughing at OSU right now as a PSU fan. We have no QB, yet we made you look inept for the entire game.

(I don't think we were worthy of the hype. Morelli never looked good at any point. What was the big deal about him? He's awful.)

Our defense kept you guys to nothing. As soon as Pat Devlin from Downingtown East (not too far away form Philadelphia) takes over at PSU, things should change. Cause the Morelli era is one of awful offense.

gherman said:

Thats what Michigan will be saying about OSU at the end of the season:wink:

Being a Michigan fan I'm not sure about that really. If it was in Ann Arbor I would feel better. Alot of football left before we know how good either team is. Alot of factors such as injuries can play into it as well. If either teams quarterback has any type of injury it will be devastating to that team.

Should be a good game though. My concerns for Michigan are games that are coming up quickly, Sparty next week and Penn State on the road. Iowa wont be a cake walk but fortunately thats at home. Michigan doesnt have any easy game though until Northwestern, in 4 weeks. If Michigan is still undefeated at that point they will be undefeated going into Columbus. Its a big IF still though to me.

Dear Georgia Tech,

Thank you very much for handing us Hokies our asses today. Our QB had his head so far up it, I think he forgot what it looks like. Maybe next year the team will give you a decent game.

Sincerely,
Sad, but not surprised, Hokie fan

Last edited:
Five Reasons That It Sucks To Be An Iowa Hawkeye Fan:

1. Ass handings in front of passionate crowds at Kinnick Stadium.
2. No heart when they play Ohio State and Michigan.
3. Knowing that even if the team wins the Big Ten, they'll get blown out in a BCS bowl.
4. Sloppy quarterback play in big games.
5. Knowing that Iowa State might play in the Big 12 Championship. :mad:

Originally posted by phillyfan26

Morelli never looked good at any point. What was the big deal about him? He's awful.)

Morelli's problem is

1. that he was never afforded much quality PT as a freshman/soph.
2. The Old Man foolishly gave the QB coach position to his worthless son.
3. Same worthless son calls all the pass plays during the game. You know, the plays that always go to the sideline instead of the middle of the field where our speed could be utilized.

Cause the Morelli era is one of awful offense.

Honestly, it wouldn't matter who the QB is: Morelli, Devlin, Clark, whoever. Its the offensive philosophy that needs changing. Don't foresee that happening any time soon, do you?

Dear Florida State,

I love you, but you suck terribly. Please figure out a way to get rid of Jeffy Bowden. Hire the One-Armed Man who framed Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, do something. You should have been able to win out all of your games and go to the ACC Championship easily, now I'm not even sure you could beat a team like Wake Forest.

Sincerely,
LMP

PS - Atleast you guys don't suck as bad as Miami.

Clark W. Griswold said:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Morelli never looked good at any point. What was the big deal about him? He's awful.)

Morelli's problem is

1. that he was never afforded much quality PT as a freshman/soph.
2. The Old Man foolishly gave the QB coach position to his worthless son.
3. Same worthless son calls all the pass plays during the game. You know, the plays that always go to the sideline instead of the middle of the field where our speed could be utilized.

Cause the Morelli era is one of awful offense.

Honestly, it wouldn't matter who the QB is: Morelli, Devlin, Clark, whoever. Its the offensive philosophy that needs changing. Don't foresee that happening any time soon, do you?

I don't blame the playcalling AT ALL. I think that's completely wrong. Michael Robinson was great. The difference is Morelli doesn't throw consistently, and is a horrible decision maker. I don't think anyone taught him about checking each receiver. It's unbelievable. I've never seen a QB not see this many wide open receivers.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Dear Florida State,

I love you, but you suck terribly. Please figure out a way to get rid of Jeffy Bowden. Hire the One-Armed Man who framed Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, do something. You should have been able to win out all of your games and go to the ACC Championship easily, now I'm not even sure you could beat a team like Wake Forest.

Sincerely,
LMP

PS - Atleast you guys don't suck as bad as Miami.

It'll never be as good as it once was, will it? :sigh:

kellyahern said:

It'll never be as good as it once was, will it? :sigh:

Sadly, the only way FSU will be a good team is if Bobby leaves or someone puts Jeff in a coma.

I'm starting to think Jeff is like Buster Bluth.

buster_bluth.jpg

I'm a monster!

Back
Top Bottom