Coldplay VS. Metallica in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
If I remember correctly, it occurred during the first ever desert island game.

Ah yes, Brau didn't take too kindly to his early departure from the game and he insulted voters in general as he perceived everything else as merely "white guys with guitars" while his compilation was not.

Gotta love that forum drama.

Axver said:
Allow me to make a serious post. :ohmy:

Glad you know this part of the world exists then. It seems to me that for all of your comments about people needing to listen to more than "white guys with guitars", the music you promote is largely either from the US or the UK. I may not listen to your beloved African American soul singers, but I think I've got a pretty good geographic spread, with plenty of bands in my collection from the Scandinavian countries, Israel, the Benelux countries, and New Zealand. I've even got awesome stuff from Bahrain, Tuva, Uganda, and Indonesia. I'd especially like more music from the former Soviet republics in Central Asia but that stuff is not easy to find.

Yes, each country has it's own indigenous music. Some of it is wonderful.

But rock & roll is American.

Axver said:

Ah yes, Brau didn't take too kindly to his early departure from the game and he insulted voters in general as he perceived everything else as merely "white guys with guitars" while his compilation was not.

Gotta love that forum drama.

in-fact, I reprimanded the forum for having a "white cock rock" centric view of all popular music. Entire lists had nothing from the R&B, soul, funk, or Blues genre. Then there were the females. Yes, the lovely females. :drool: Completely ignored.

I pointed it out. People got pissed. Told me to piss off. We want guitars.

MrBrau1 said:

in-fact, I reprimanded the forum for having a "white cock rock" centric view of all popular music. Entire lists had nothing from the R&B, soul, funk, or Blues genre. Then there were the females. Yes, the lovely females. :drool: Completely ignored.

I pointed it out. People got pissed. Told me to piss off. We want guitars.

Things have changed a bit since then, thankfully. :up:

LemonMelon said:

Things have changed a bit since then, thankfully. :up:

All that said, if GG, Ax and myself were in the same room, playing songs for one another, it would be glorious. LOUD, and glorious. There's only so much you can do with words. As Frank Zappa said "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

We need the vibrations.

A boring post on topic, but what the hell.

Metallica hasn't done much of anything for me since Ride the Lightning. Love Whiplash. Master of Puppets had the writing on the wall already, but it got them media respect for whatever reason. And 'Metallica' with Enter Sandman rendered them 'Classic Rock' radio worthy. There are numerous metal bands more relevant in the last 20 years. Their new release will no doubt be the same as the last few, utter crap.

Coldplay have only one song I can even listen to, "Speed of Sound". Chris Martin really bugs me. This release will have no lasting impact at all.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong :wink:

*Reads through thread*

Errrrrr...'kay...

As for the actual topic (and what vastly different bands to put up against each other), let's see...Metallica, I know that their last album was NOT well-received by any stretch of the imagination, so if they want to sell well again they'll have to pull out something big next time around. I don't see a big comeback from them being too likely, though.

And Coldplay, they get lots of airplay and praise from critics and such, but I also know they've gotten some backlash from the public in recent years, too (I'm apparently in a minority here-I personally rather like them, myself. Only heard one album of theirs in full (Parachutes), but I like that one, as well as the other songs I've heard from them *Shrugs*. It's weird, I remember a time when they were pretty popular on this board). Yet I still see them having more success than Metallica. Whether or not it'll be their Joshua Tree or whatever (I thought that comparison had already been done with their last album?), eh, who knows? I don't really care about that aspect of it all, anyway.

Angela

Don't know Metallica well enough to comment. Coldplay IMO are now in a position where they badly need to lift their game or reinvent themselves or do anything to move away from the dead end of X&Y. Last time around they had enough goodwill to get some good reviews, but I don't think they can get away with doing the same thing over and over any longer. Personally I'd like them to succeed but I'm just sceptical whether they have the chops or ability to make that leap forward.

What blows my mind is that Brian Eno agreed to work with Coldplay. I guess he sees something in them that I don't...or maybe he needs some quick bucks? Dunno...

You know what would have been a dream come true for me? Eno producing Joy Division/New Order....:drool:

Coldplay = Radiohead in terms of enjoyability for me....

Gimme Chris Martin's vocal over Thom Yorke's anyday...

Gimme most of Yorke's lyrics over Marto's lyrics most days....

Gimme any Coldplay song over anything from The Bends anyday

intedomine said:
Coldplay = Radiohead in terms of enjoyability for me....

Gimme Chris Martin's vocal over Thom Yorke's anyday...

Gimme most of Yorke's lyrics over Marto's lyrics most days....

Well, 1 non-idiotic statement out of 4 ain't bad.

I don't think Metallica has a choice on this next one. It has be good or they're toast. Or will live on only as a greatest hits touring act (not that they'd be a bad one, they still put on a helluva show). St. Anger pretty much put all the nails in the coffin. All they need is something mediocre to tap them all down flush.

intedomine said:

128347587844687500fail.jpg

I'll give it to Coldplay they know what's at stake, having Eno behind them has improved their odds, they need this album to be great.

Mark my words haters, Coldplay will have a hit album whether it will have critical approval it's another thing

LemonMacPhisto said:
chart success... yippee!

that means they must be awesome, right? right?

fuck sakes...nice funny witty answer...like I said critical praise on their 4th album is anyone's guess

Like critical success means anything either. It just boils down to whether you, as a person with distinct taste, likes it or not, regardless of what anyone else says.

There are plenty of critically lauded bands/albums that I just cannot get into. Is that wrong? So fuck it and get over it.

Exactly.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Like critical success means anything either. It just boils down to whether you, as a person with distinct taste, likes it or not, regardless of what anyone else says.

There are plenty of critically lauded bands/albums that I just cannot get into. Is that wrong? So fuck it and get over it.

Exactly.

You mean the Arctic Monkeys aren't better than the Beatles because NME said so? :shocked:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Exactly.

get over it?? like I care about your musical taste, I gave my opinion about the thread, but I never buy something except for the sole reason that I enjoy it and that included x&y

The last part wasn't directed to you, that's just my philosophy when it comes to "the critic's choice"

Sorry if you took it another way.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The last part wasn't directed to you, that's just my philosophy when it comes to "the critic's choice"

I agree with you. I read what critics say sometimes just 'cause I'm always interested in others' opinions, but when it comes to what I like, I don't care whether it's critically acclaimed or not. If it sounds good to me, that's all that matters.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I agree with you. I read what critics say sometimes just 'cause I'm always interested in others' opinions, but when it comes to what I like, I don't care whether it's critically acclaimed or not. If it sounds good to me, that's all that matters.

Angela

:up:

Plus, it's funny to read a Pitchfork review.

I'd forgotten that Coldplay only released one album after A Rush Of Blood to the Head. I guess X&Y was such a horrible disappointment that it seemed like they released two or three sucky albums rather than just one. I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt that album #4 might be decent. I don't think they have an Unforgettable Fire or The Bends in them, however, let alone a Joshua Tree or OK Computer.

LemonMacPhisto said:
:up:

Plus, it's funny to read a Pitchfork review.

I think I've only checked out that site, like, once or twice. Seems to be a place that people either love or hate.

I personally just stick to AMG, Epinions, and newspaper/magazine reviews, for the most part. Occasionally I'll come across reviews on other sites and stuff, but that's more something I stumble across instead of actively seek out.

Angela

Could someone please enlighten me re: St. Anger? What makes it so universally reviled? I only know the hits, but intrigued that it gets hated so much. All I heard about the thing is that it has no solos.

Critical success is often inaccurate. White Stripes get all this praise from critics for whatever reason, though no one's gonna care about their music 10 years from now.....

Back
Top Bottom