Coldplay--Love or Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Scientist is Coldplay's One.
Clocks is Coldplay's Streets.
And those who say Coldplay can't 'rock' should listen to 'God Put A Smile Upon Your Face.' It's one of their best and most underrated songs.

-Miggy D

RademR said:
I love Coldplay, their an amazing band, but I don't like when people say they are the next u2. There will never be another u2. Period. No one will have the magic for 25 years. Coldplay have modeled themselves after u2, and even though it comes through in their music, they aren't that similar. 95% of their songs have piano in them and are ballads, they are basically soft rock, one hell of a band though. u2 aren't soft rock, and Coldplay's guitarist isn't anywhere near the Edge. Their one of my favorite bands out there, but there's no "new u2". Never.

I thought it was funny when the Comic Insult Dog had that song where he said "Coldplay, you should be called cold sore, back when you were u2, I liked you so much more."

I agree with this 100 percent

Saves me from having to formulating my own views:wink:

They don't rock. That 30% of U2 that rocks like hell are what they will have to discover in order to deserve that elusive "U2 heir apparent" label.

They do create pretty sounds. The UF influence is obvious in every one of their songs.

I really love them, but often get annoyed of the comparisons with U2 (not Coldplay's fault but the media's). U2 is one of a kind, there will never be another U2. Until I see another band change their sound as dramatically as U2 did, going from one masterpiece (Joshua Tree) to another masterpiece (Achtung Baby), they will always be in a league of their own.

Who knows, maybe sometime in the future Coldplay will do that. But until that happens, I don't think they should ever be compared to U2. Coldplay should be compared to Coldplay. They're great, let's just sit back and see where this band takes us....

Booooooring. This is the whitest music imaginable. I bought Parachutes and enjoyed it allright, but didn't think they were the second coming of anything except maybe Travis, who is probably better. It took U2 5 albums until they figured out how to put some R&B into their music, but at least they had balls from the beginning.

I'd rather listen to a less-talented band like The Killers who have more spirit than something like Coldplay. They're not awful, but they just don't stand out or grab my attention.

Love. My name says it all. If I got started on why I loved them so much I'd be typing all day, so suffice to say mark me down in the "love" column.

:up: I like them and think they have potential for the future.

IMO all the "next U2" talk is way too early and unfair this early in their career.

Miggy D said:
The Scientist is Coldplay's One.
Clocks is Coldplay's Streets.

well said

However, may I suggest "One I Love" as a great 'rock' song, if you can find it. Also: "1.36". Or, best yet, find the documentary on the live DVD and the part where they're in a soundcheck playing "Trouble". Anyone else know where I mean?

oh, Love by the way. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is one of the best albums ever in my humble opinion. Can't wait to see them in Bolton come July 4th.

They are, of course, not 'the new U2' but they are probably set to inherit the 'biggest band in the world' mantle when U2 do call it a day. I guess this is what the comparisons are about.

Last edited:
pretty good tunes, melody, lyrics...pretty good live
i defintiely like coldplay but i am not crazy about them, i wouldn;t hail them as being anything original, but yea they have some good tunes nonetheless...then again so do Muse...and they perhaps one fo the greatest radiohead ripoff i have heard on the radio yet

They make my Top 5 of "modern" bands, although they easily get kicked out of that in my all-time list (Zep, Stones, AC/DC etc.)

I hated them when I first heard them...now I ca't get enough of them....when I'm in a sombre reflective mood (just like Floyd). If there's one weakness in their music, his voice is not one my favourites.

I used to like them a lot, now I don't mind them

I find their music a little boring

I have heard the new single Speed of Sound. Its okay...just sounds like it could be on Rush of Blood tho. Seeing the band stated a fair bit about the change of their sound, etc...I am a little disappointed.

Maybe the full album will be different tho....
You'd think if this is the case, they'd want to release the first song showing the new direction, like U2 with The Fly...

WinnieThePoo said:
every song is the same for me , no fun , no fire

I think Coldplay is more forelorn and contemplative than U2. But they are capable of some truly grand songs. Like their new single :)

-Miggy

lazarus wrote:
I'd rather listen to a less-talented band like The Killers who have more spirit than something like Coldplay. They're not awful, but they just don't stand out or grab my attention.
exactely the KILLERS rock:rockon: Coldplay is the most overrated band and their cheesy music bores me to death..fluffy-bunnies.:down: anyway i don't hate Coldplay

I really like Coldplay BUT their concerts are boring. They should definitely make a few more rockers to spice up the live show. But the albums are great and i am really looking forward to the new album.

Speed of sound 100*:up: Great song

Coldplay are very average, their music is what "The Man" would listen to, its so colourless, bland and dull. Not exactly a band that I feel I can root for or care about, and their new single is by far the worst thing I've heard from them, its scrubbed way too clean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom