Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xaviMF22 said:
so whats the verdict all you coldplay haters? :wink:

I really like the intro with the dissonant strings and guitars coming in, but goddamn, Chris Martin's voice at the beginning is terrible. His voice improves as the song progresses, but then like others have said, the song never really takes off like you'd hope it would.

It's good, but not great. Definitely better than half of the songs on X&Y already though. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I really like the intro with the dissonant strings and guitars coming in, but goddamn, Chris Martin's voice at the beginning is terrible. His voice improves as the song progresses, but then like others have said, the song never really takes off like you'd hope it would.
yeah, song sounds good but is not a great song
still good, but not something i'll chose to listen to

I'll listen to this after I go home in a bit.

Salome, what's up with your sig, man?!! It's kinda scary or something. lol. Is that your eye? I prefer the ik woon in molen or whatever. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Salome, what's up with your sig, man?!! It's kinda scary or something. lol. Is that your eye? I prefer the ik woon in molen or whatever. :wink:
nah, it's not my eye
and don't worry, it scares me too :D

I've been a big Coldplay fan since Parachutes and am looking forward to the new album a ton...

First impression of Violet Hill...meh....maybe it'll grow on me. Good, but not great. As the first single choice, I don't know if it's going to create a lot of hype for the new album either...It sort of reminds me of what Steve Lilywhite said about SYCMIOYO on the bonus DVD that came with HTDAAB...something along the lines of "good song, but it doesn't have a chorus." With Violet Hill, the "if you love me..." line should be the "payoff" for what a chorus is...it just doesn't take off.

That said, I'll wait until I hear it in the context of the album to make up my mind...

BonoManiac said:
"It was a long and dark December/from the rooftops I remember/there was snow, white snow...

And what other colour would snow be, Mr. Martin?

Hahaha good call, I was thinking the exact same thing. What other color would snow be? Yellow snow maybe? :ohmy:

I've listened to the song about 4 times throughout today, and I really enjoy it. I think it actually does have a good chance of being a hit. I can also envision what the music video will look like...and trust me it will be a good one.

I'm actually doubting it's hit potential (i.e mainstream "hot" 30 type of hit potential, as opposed to rock/alternative hit potential), it lacks the catchiness to appeal to teenagers I reckon...

I love the beat......there's a lot of intriguing thing happening here musically.

And the lyrics are quality. With X&Y, there seemed to be something rushed or at least lacking in effort with the lyrics.....Violet Hill is splendid though....and I don't think Martin's vocalising from his own experience, he's casting himself in someone else's shoes....

bonojr62 said:
Am I the only one who noticed Coldplay rip the whole Banks and Cathedrals line off of U2??? or is it just me?

Yeah they did, but it's a recyclable image though. I even do it myself, recycle a lyric and adapt it to suit my own circumstance.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I think he said something about 'banks and cathedrals' which I'm pretty sure Bono has used before...blah blah blah...

Yeah, it was one of the first things I noticed about the song.

I don't have a problem with it. As Phanan said, it's an image that's been used before and Bono didn't invent it, obviously.

But I knew people would jump all over it because of the U2/Coldplay comparisons that have shown up in the past.

U2 did not invent it BUT...

When the banks became cathedrals

is not very far from

The banks they're like cathedrals

Did Chris Martin think that nobody would remember Playboy Mansion? :lol:

Surely the key thing here is that, after the Banks were merely LIKE cathedrals in Playboy Mansion; in "Violet Hill", the banks have actually evolved into cathedrals.....a sign o' the times perhaps?

"If Ya Luv Me, Wontcha Let Me Know................"

Holy shit I forgot about the banks and cathedrals in Lemon!

intedomine said:
Surely the key thing here is that, after the Banks were merely LIKE cathedrals in Playboy Mansion; in "Violet Hill", the banks have actually evolved into cathedrals.....a sign o' the times perhaps?

Maybe it's like Coldplay's salute to U2. :ohmy: :wink:

LMP, he wants to know if you love him.

Just heard the new coldplay song and after listening a few times I got to say its pretty ordinary. With the nice intro build up I was expecting something a bit different and a bit good and they serve up that pile of dross. Yeah I liked x and y and a rush of blood had its moments but if this is one of the standout tracks from their new album I don't think I'll bother buying. At least Speed of Sound was a good song. I think Coldplays grasp far out reaches their talent and they have peaked in a musical sense on their last album. Yeah Violet Hill 5/10 and nothing more. With this and Radioheads dismal offerings of late, good music nowadays really is hard to find. Roll on U2's new album. Oh yeah didn't mention REM's pretty bland last effort as well. Another band that has far out lasted its welcome!

Holy hell rjhbonovox came out of hiding!!! I agree with you on Violet Hill I think but you're so far off on In Rainbows and Accelerate, it's not even funny! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom