Cockplay, Scotland Superthread - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #886
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
What is this shoegazing you're always going on about?
It's a rock genre that was popular mainly in Britain from the late 80s and early 90s, characterised by groups such as My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive. Very much into vast walls of sounds and guitars that don't sound like guitars. The name actually derives from a criticism of the genre, from a quote that all the bands would do is gaze at their shoes, as they were so caught up in the music.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #887
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Pretty much. Before this started in February, I had 32,000 or so posts. Yeah, now look what's happened. At least Ian can join me in claiming over 10,000 Superthread posts.
Be that as it may, you have twice as many as me, at least.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #888
Blue Crack Addict

Hugs to anyone who's ever had to live in Queensland.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #889
Refugee

Local Time: 07:50 AM
even though it's our Texas, it's ok sometimes. i really can't complain about life atm
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #890
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Seconded
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #891
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
hey, i'm doing the same thing!

bad times?
When I was 10, my mother thought it would be a brilliant idea to move from our small New Zealand hometown to the Gold Coast. Little did I know what I was in for. Fled to the University of Queensland when I was 19 and since then fled Queensland entirely for the University of Melbourne.

I just found the Gold Coast to be the most vapid, base, shallow place on earth, complete with a horrible climate and the worst town planning I've ever encountered.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #892
Refugee

i really want to move to melbourne though. maybe for a second degree or a job. i love malben. to paraphrase James Murphy, Adelaide, I love you, but you'll bring me down.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #893
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
Seconded
Thanks, though hugs to anyone who's ever had to live in the 19th century too.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #894
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
It's a rock genre that was popular mainly in Britain from the late 80s and early 90s, characterised by groups such as My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive. Very much into vast walls of sounds and guitars that don't sound like guitars. The name actually derives from a criticism of the genre, from a quote that all the bands would do is gaze at their shoes, as they were so caught up in the music.
aww, it sounds cool at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
even though it's our Texas, it's ok sometimes. i really can't complain about life atm
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh God

Guys I came back to say that I just stuck all of my Tom Petty, U2, and Bruce Springsteen music on my iPod.

I realize it's not all cleaned up yet, and that there are several duplicate songs, however....it comes up to 854 songs, 2:19:11:51 total time, and 10.04 GB
Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #895
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Don't mind me a bit of shoegazing. Saw Ride live, they were awesome! Saw Swervedriver live, they bored me to tears.

Dunno if you deffo classify them as "shoegazer" but House of Love are fantastic. Check out their early stuff on Creation, before Guy Chadwick got completely drugfucked.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #896
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
When I was 10, my mother thought it would be a brilliant idea to move from our small New Zealand hometown to the Gold Coast. Little did I know what I was in for. Fled to the University of Queensland when I was 19 and since then fled Queensland entirely for the University of Melbourne.

I just found the Gold Coast to be the most vapid, base, shallow place on earth, complete with a horrible climate and the worst town planning I've ever encountered.
No Ax, tell us what you really think?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #897
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Oh, you're absolutely right. But there could certainly be some real hidden gems out there, and I know there's still new stuff that's apparently pretty good, including foreign language bands.
This is true. You heard of Solar Powered People? I've seen them classified in with some of the "neo-shoegazer" or "shoegazer revival" stuff of the last few years. I don't really buy that, I wouldn't call them shoegazer myself, but certainly their stuff is drenched in delay and it rocks well.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #898
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Thanks, though hugs to anyone who's ever had to live in the 19th century too.
Oh comedy!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #899
Refugee

Quote:

i know i don't want to stay here. but for Uni, especially when you're associating with so many out-of-towners in a small, tight-knit community with a decent enough nightlife, and when you're given a half-scholarship, the decision is sort of made for you when the alternative is wallowing in Adelaide at a Tafe-with-benefits.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #900
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
Don't mind me a bit of shoegazing. Saw Ride live, they were awesome! Saw Swervedriver live, they bored me to tears.

Dunno if you deffo classify them as "shoegazer" but House of Love are fantastic. Check out their early stuff on Creation, before Guy Chadwick got completely drugfucked.
Haha, you've just made Ax and I really, really jealous. Even for the apparently shitty Swervedriver show.

Never heard of HOL described as shoegazey but thanks for the recommendation, may check them out anyway.

Tags
superthread