Clipperton Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, sure, you'll see some signage in various Asian languages on the most touristy parts of the Gold Coast, but all the locals look on it with disgust. Outright disgust and revulsion.

You've clearly never been to Springvale. It feels like you're in bloody Vietnam or Malaysia. Apparently some of the other, more ethnic parts of Melbourne are like that too.

And with that my tiredness has caught up with me. See you all later! I'll be sure to come in and stay longer next time.

:wave:

You've clearly never been to Springvale. It feels like you're in bloody Vietnam or Malaysia. Apparently some of the other, more ethnic parts of Melbourne are like that too.

What are Melburnian attitudes to that, though? I mean, I'm mostly just surrounded by well-educated university students who are all about diversity. On the Gold Coast, I actually encountered the racist wankers who thought that "thowse bluhdee Ayshins shood speek aahhr langwidge maayyt!"

Oh, but you're off. See you again soon! :wave:

You know I can't help my pedantry.

I honestly have no idea about any Aboriginal language - place names are really the extent of my knowledge. It's sad.

Oh god, the pronunciation thing gets me every time. And, you know, I think Bono sometimes pronounced An Cat Dubh's name somewhat properly in the early days. Of course, I've also heard the silly twit pronounce it the way ignorant English speakers do.

Remember how long I spent in Queensland! Now there's one hell of a monolingual society. OK, sure, you'll see some signage in various Asian languages on the most touristy parts of the Gold Coast, but all the locals look on it with disgust. Outright disgust and revulsion.

Yeah, I expected nothing less.

I have to say, I don't know that much other than a few language/peoples ('tribe' isn't the right word to use for Aboriginal people, not a PC thing, they just didn't fit the definition) around this area and a few more prominent ones in history. Furthermore, I don't know how much you'd be able to learn... where would you start? I might be able to find a book of Kaurna words, but I don't know if you can learn a native language to speak fluently. There might be some locals willing to teach.

Ah, I think he did, actually. But mostly I think of him pronouncing it caht, as you said. He certainly can't pronounce "pussy cat" right, in any case.

Oh, I always forget your adventures in Hell! Forgive me. But hopefully Melbourne has undone some of those moronic attitudes that you met over there.

Yeah, I expected nothing less.

I have to say, I don't know that much other than a few language/peoples ('tribe' isn't the right word to use for Aboriginal people, not a PC thing, they just didn't fit the definition) around this area and a few more prominent ones in history. Furthermore, I don't know how much you'd be able to learn... where would you start? I might be able to find a book of Kaurna words, but I don't know if you can learn a native language to speak fluently. There might be some locals willing to teach.

Ah, I think he did, actually. But mostly I think of him pronouncing it caht, as you said. He certainly can't pronounce "pussy cat" right, in any case.

Oh, I always forget your adventures in Hell! Forgive me. But hopefully Melbourne has undone some of those moronic attitudes that you met over there.

I noticed in my Aboriginal & Pacific Islander Histories course, the various Aboriginal groups were referred to as "peoples" or "nations", like the Yorta Yorta nation. For the Maori, you can safely refer to their groupings as tribes; I was looking at a map of New Zealand recently that divided the country up into tribal territories and I honestly had no idea we had so many tribes! The North Island is chock-full of them. The South Island, meanwhile, has about ... five? I was reading this essay on the West Coast Maori, Te Wai Poutimi, and it was absolutely fascinating. I'd love to do more West Coast history.

Anyway, as I was going to say before I sidetracked myself, I presume the easiest way to learn an Aboriginal language would be to actually live in an Aboriginal community. What I'd like to know are statistics on how many communities predominantly use Aboriginal languages and how many have switched to English.

Sorry, what was that? Bogans should learn to speak English first.

Hell, bogans should learn to keep Boganese consistent first. Then we might have a hope of at least translating their drivel!

On a totally unrelated note, I just made a positive U2 post on EYKIW - and enjoyed it. :ohmy: You and I should go and start a positive thread or two there ... on totally obscure things.

Heh, Inman River's name in Kaurna, "Murtaparrinnga", means "excrement river". Kind of a throwback to Tutaekuri.

:lol:

Hell, if you think about "Inman River" enough, you can come up with some, uh, interesting interpretations too.

I just did it too, in the same thread! Felt kind of weird.

I just made another positive post in that thread. WTF.

Maybe we should start a thread discussing how great it is when Edge plays the little e string on the seventeenth fret or higher.

:lol:

Hell, if you think about "Inman River" enough, you can come up with some, uh, interesting interpretations too.

I just made another positive post in that thread. WTF.

Maybe we should start a thread discussing how great it is when Edge plays the little e string on the seventeenth fret or higher.

Whoa, you're right! Still, if I'm ever short on ideas, I might make us go there one day.

That just reminds me of panel 3 here. Which is a good thing, of course. Yes, let's do it, Axver. Let's make a thread about Edge hitting the seventeenth fret or higher on the little E string.

Whoa, you're right! Still, if I'm ever short on ideas, I might make us go there one day.

That just reminds me of panel 3 here. Which is a good thing, of course. Yes, let's do it, Axver. Let's make a thread about Edge hitting the seventeenth fret or higher on the little E string.

Heh, sounds good. I wonder when we'll ever get to Foulness, England. It seems to be the little thread that can't.

:lmao: I especially love the last panel. That's classic.

Heh, sounds good. I wonder when we'll ever get to Foulness, England. It seems to be the little thread that can't.

:lmao: I especially love the last panel. That's classic.

Poor guy! I'm always thinking of going there, but I can't remember if we have or not when the time comes.

Yeah, that's probably one of my very favourite Achewood strips. I bought the little book with all the strips from late 2003 - early 2004 from there, which includes that one, so I can enjoy it basically whenever.

Poor guy! I'm always thinking of going there, but I can't remember if we have or not when the time comes.

Yeah, that's probably one of my very favourite Achewood strips. I bought the little book with all the strips from late 2003 - early 2004 from there, which includes that one, so I can enjoy it basically whenever.

I often think of doing it, but when I remember, I already have some other idea I want to use, while when I'm scrambling for an idea, I don't seem to think of Foulness. I'm pretty sure it's been over 150 locations since it very nearly became a Superthread!

Heh, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

I often think of doing it, but when I remember, I already have some other idea I want to use, while when I'm scrambling for an idea, I don't seem to think of Foulness. I'm pretty sure it's been over 150 locations since it very nearly became a Superthread!

Heh, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

Yeah, I remember hearing it first way back. Except way back in Superthread terms still doesn't seem like that much to me. Boy, that's a whole bunch of threads.

Haha, I figured not. I'll probably order the Great Outdoor Fight book for Christmas. And maybe one of the pint glasses. I already have a couple of shirts, as you know.

Speaking of pints, I haven't had a drink in nearly a week. I think you can understand why. I don't know if I'll have one anytime particularly soon, could be tomorrow night, could be in a few weeks. Just think it might be better not drinking for a while. I never thought I'd say that!

Yeah, I remember hearing it first way back. Except way back in Superthread terms still doesn't seem like that much to me. Boy, that's a whole bunch of threads.

Haha, I figured not. I'll probably order the Great Outdoor Fight book for Christmas. And maybe one of the pint glasses. I already have a couple of shirts, as you know.

Speaking of pints, I haven't had a drink in nearly a week. I think you can understand why. I don't know if I'll have one anytime particularly soon, could be tomorrow night, could be in a few weeks. Just think it might be better not drinking for a while. I never thought I'd say that!

You know, for me, the Superthread seems like it's been around forever. I guess because it started when a significant phase of my life ended, and now that feels so long ago, like a totally different life entirely. The Superthread began on 22 February and I last spoke to Kate on 26 or 27 February. I remember telling her about the Kunstmuseum over lunch, heh. Then after that lunch, she told me what had happened the last couple of months and that was that.

WHAT THE HELL, PEOPLE. You, not drink? No, I understand entirely. Maybe you should seize this opportunity to get into wine instead. :wink:

By the way, this evening, in between Superthreading and writing my essay, I've been thinking about my plans for the summer break. I was initially just thinking of doing a couple of trips around Victoria, but god, I need to see more of this country, so I'm really quite seriously thinking of coming over to Adelaide to do a bit of gunzelling and photography and stuff.

You know, for me, the Superthread seems like it's been around forever. I guess because it started when a significant phase of my life ended, and now that feels so long ago, like a totally different life entirely. The Superthread began on 22 February and I last spoke to Kate on 26 or 27 February. I remember telling her about the Kunstmuseum over lunch, heh. Then after that lunch, she told me what had happened the last couple of months and that was that.

WHAT THE HELL, PEOPLE. You, not drink? No, I understand entirely. Maybe you should seize this opportunity to get into wine instead. :wink:

By the way, this evening, in between Superthreading and writing my essay, I've been thinking about my plans for the summer break. I was initially just thinking of doing a couple of trips around Victoria, but god, I need to see more of this country, so I'm really quite seriously thinking of coming over to Adelaide to do a bit of gunzelling and photography and stuff.

Ah, I can see why it would seem so long, then. I guess I'd only really just started Tafe, but I didn't start posting until the fifteenth thread or so, so time passing hasn't been quite as clear as far as this goes. Still the Eternal Cycle of Superthread.

Haha, no, I think it's alcohol in general I'm not so sure about right now. Although that might be because I just picked up a shitty cold (I'm the biggest hypochondriac ever, so I think it means I've got AIDS or something) and I never feel like drinking when I've got a sore throat.

That sounds ace! Definitely come! Bring others from the Melbourne Crew, as well!

Ah, I can see why it would seem so long, then. I guess I'd only really just started Tafe, but I didn't start posting until the fifteenth thread or so, so time passing hasn't been quite as clear as far as this goes. Still the Eternal Cycle of Superthread.

Haha, no, I think it's alcohol in general I'm not so sure about right now. Although that might be because I just picked up a shitty cold (I'm the biggest hypochondriac ever, so I think it means I've got AIDS or something) and I never feel like drinking when I've got a sore throat.

That sounds ace! Definitely come! Bring others from the Melbourne Crew, as well!

Just looking at the dates I gave seems weird to me. I'm sure to everybody in the thread, Kate seems like somebody from a darker past for me, yet during the postwhorehouse forum gypsy period, she was still in the present. I'm not sure I mentioned her once, though. I just knew the shit was about to hit the fan and things were going to be unpleasant.

Does ANYBODY feel like drinking when they have a sore throat or cold or whatever? I had something developing on the day of the US election and that put a dampener on my drinking. I didn't feel crap enough to avoid drinking entirely, but if I'd been in good health, I'm sure I'd have got drunk.

Tell them to come! I'm sure my pitch would be "yeah, uh, want to go to Adelaide on the train and ride more trains there?" You can imagine how that'll go down. But I really would like to ride the Steamranger service from Mt Barker to Victor Harbour (before you say anything - the official name of the railway station is indeed Harbour, regardless of whatever bullshit spelling the town has!).

Just looking at the dates I gave seems weird to me. I'm sure to everybody in the thread, Kate seems like somebody from a darker past for me, yet during the postwhorehouse forum gypsy period, she was still in the present. I'm not sure I mentioned her once, though. I just knew the shit was about to hit the fan and things were going to be unpleasant.

Does ANYBODY feel like drinking when they have a sore throat or cold or whatever? I had something developing on the day of the US election and that put a dampener on my drinking. I didn't feel crap enough to avoid drinking entirely, but if I'd been in good health, I'm sure I'd have got drunk.

Tell them to come! I'm sure my pitch would be "yeah, uh, want to go to Adelaide on the train and ride more trains there?" You can imagine how that'll go down. But I really would like to ride the Steamranger service from Mt Barker to Victor Harbour (before you say anything - the official name of the railway station is indeed Harbour, regardless of whatever bullshit spelling the town has!).

I've certain drank with a very sore throat before (a few times I've thought that drinking absinthe would somehow cancel it, even if it means I'd have no throat left). I dunno, some other times I don't even want to drink water. Right now I have one of those where just swallowing nothing brings much pain, which is a pity because I thought I was recovering. Guess I should go soon.

No, you can do it! I'm sure they would be thrilled. And to be honest, I don't think I ever once noticed that it's Victor Harbor. Wow. I honestly can't figure out why that's the case. I love that town, but I think I love it a little bit less now.

I've certain drank with a very sore throat before (a few times I've thought that drinking absinthe would somehow cancel it, even if it means I'd have no throat left). I dunno, some other times I don't even want to drink water. Right now I have one of those where just swallowing nothing brings much pain, which is a pity because I thought I was recovering. Guess I should go soon.

No, you can do it! I'm sure they would be thrilled. And to be honest, I don't think I ever once noticed that it's Victor Harbor. Wow. I honestly can't figure out why that's the case. I love that town, but I think I love it a little bit less now.

Ick, that doesn't sound fun at all. Whenever I'm sick, I'm put off drinking, I think partly because I've been brought up by a wine snob and the whole "savour the wine" thing doesn't work when your tastebuds are fucked.

I've no idea how I'd con anybody into it, heh. "Come with me, some dude you know online, interstate for a few days to see trains and somebody else you know online!" Worth a shot though. I don't want to spend all my time in Melbourne like I did during the winter holidays. And I don't want my only fucking interstate trip to be visiting the Queensland family.

:lol: You'd never noticed? I've heard it was a surveying error from the 19th or early 20th century. The town was for some period known as Port Victor, but was changed due to confusion with Port Victoria. My own personal speculation is that the Aussie English spelling really didn't get properly hammered down in the 19th century and "Victor Harbor" is a hangover of that. I've noticed in the 19th century Kiwi papers, there is all kinds of chopping between what we would now identify as UK or US spelling. Plus back then, nouns tended to be capitalised. AND NOBODY SEEMED TO USE PARAGRAPHS, ARSEHOLES.

Ick, that doesn't sound fun at all. Whenever I'm sick, I'm put off drinking, I think partly because I've been brought up by a wine snob and the whole "savour the wine" thing doesn't work when your tastebuds are fucked.

I've no idea how I'd con anybody into it, heh. "Come with me, some dude you know online, interstate for a few days to see trains and somebody else you know online!" Worth a shot though. I don't want to spend all my time in Melbourne like I did during the winter holidays. And I don't want my only fucking interstate trip to be visiting the Queensland family.

:lol: You'd never noticed? I've heard it was a surveying error from the 19th or early 20th century. The town was for some period known as Port Victor, but was changed due to confusion with Port Victoria. My own personal speculation is that the Aussie English spelling really didn't get properly hammered down in the 19th century and "Victor Harbor" is a hangover of that. I've noticed in the 19th century Kiwi papers, there is all kinds of chopping between what we would now identify as UK or US spelling. Plus back then, nouns tended to be capitalised. AND NOBODY SEEMED TO USE PARAGRAPHS, ARSEHOLES.

No kidding. Actually, I'm gonna go get some Panadol right now.

----

ALRIGHT that was some good Panadol taking. But I'll definitely have to go soon. I have to go to TAFE tomorrow, even though I have absolutely no will to work right now. November has never been a good month for me. I don't know, I just tend to get particularly down when it comes around.

How often do you see U-Wen and Ali? They're sort of who I was thinking about.

No, not really! I never thought about it. I just took for granted that it'd be spelled correctly, although I think your hangover theory is most likely correct. Funny they thought it'd be confused with Port Victoria, since they're on different peninsulas.

Just for the hell of it, allow me to reproduce my last post in nineteenth century style.

The Sad Punk:- "I've certain drank with a very sore throat before (a few times I've thought that drinking absinthe would somehow cancel it, even if it means I'd have no throat left). I dunno, some other times I don't even want to drink water. Right now I have one of those where just swallowing nothing brings much pain, which is a pity because I thought I was recovering. Guess I should go soon. No, you can do it! I'm sure they would be thrilled. And to be honest, I don't think I ever once noticed that it's Victor Harbor. Wow. I honestly can't figure out why that's the case. I love that town, but I think I love it a little bit less now."
Ick, that doesn't sound fun at all. Whenever I'm sick, I'm put off drinking, I think partly because I've been brought up by a wine snob and the whole "savour the wine" thing doesn't work when your tastebuds are fucked. I've no idea how I'd con anybody into it, heh. "Come with me, some dude you know online, interstate for a few days to see trains and somebody else you know online!" Worth a shot though. I don't want to spend all my time in Melbourne like I did during the winter holidays. And I don't want my only fucking interstate trip to be visiting the Queensland family. :lol: You'd never noticed? I've heard it was a surveying error from the 19th or early 20th century. The town was for some period known as Port Victor, but was changed due to confusion with Port Victoria. My own personal speculation is that the Aussie English spelling really didn't get properly hammered down in the 19th century and "Victor Harbor" is a hangover of that. I've noticed in the 19th century Kiwi papers, there is all kinds of chopping between what we would now identify as UK or US spelling. Plus back then, nouns tended to be capitalised. AND NOBODY SEEMED TO USE PARAGRAPHS, ARSEHOLES.

No kidding. Actually, I'm gonna go get some Panadol right now.

----

ALRIGHT that was some good Panadol taking. But I'll definitely have to go soon. I have to go to TAFE tomorrow, even though I have absolutely no will to work right now. November has never been a good month for me. I don't know, I just tend to get particularly down when it comes around.

How often do you see U-Wen and Ali? They're sort of who I was thinking about.

No, not really! I never thought about it. I just took for granted that it'd be spelled correctly, although I think your hangover theory is most likely correct. Funny they thought it'd be confused with Port Victoria, since they're on different peninsulas.

Yeah, sounds like you should probably get some rest! I'm about to head out too! I've reached my target for today's essay writing. Just two paragraphs and a conclusion to go tomorrow. Here's hoping for the best. Though right now, I'm not quite sure where to go with my essay, as I feel like one option will cause it to run too long and possibly drag well into Thursday, while the other might be too short and turn things repetitive.

I see Ali pretty regularly. Lately we've probably caught up at least once every fortnight. U-Wen's the busiest man in the world, so it depends! But yeah, I might suggest something to them and to the other Victorians.

I just read something about how apparently some shipwreck was allegedly caused by Port Victor and Victoria being confused and that prompted the reversion to the original name of Victor Harbor. Whether that's true or not is anybody's guess. Some of the 19th century spelling hangovers are just irritating, though. Here I'm thinking of a stark lack of apostrophes in New Zealand town names. Donnellys Crossing pisses me off so much.

G'night, Bonnie. Think I better call it a night too or I'll sleep in too late. :wave:

I'm trying desperately hard to will the new Killers Album into leakage ok. I'm far too busy to postwhore :grumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom