Clinton Demands 50 Million A Year To Host Talk Show - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Clinton Demands 50 Million A Year To Host Talk Show

Guess for the right price he IS willing to talk 50 Million!

The only good thing would be he might have Bono on If anyone pays him that much, that is INSANE.

Report: Clinton Discussing Own TV Talk Show
Thu May 2, 6:51 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton has met with NBC executives in Los Angeles to discuss hosting his own talk show, according to several television sources, The Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

Although the talks are only preliminary, one source said Clinton's interest was serious and said he was demanding a fee of $50 million a year and had aspirations "of becoming the next Oprah Winfrey," the paper said.

NBC officials would not comment on Wednesday, and Clinton's office in New York did not respond to an inquiry about the prospective talk show.

Television industry sources say chances are slim that Clinton would commit to such a plan once he understands the demands of the job, the Times said. The 55-year-old former president has told some Hollywood executives who have asked about a potential TV career that the rumors are untrue.

Television executives doubted that Clinton would sign up for a demanding regimen of daily tapings for 39 weeks that such a show would require.

There is no precedent for such a TV deal with a former president, the paper said, although Richard Nixon stirred controversy in 1975 when talk show host David Frost paid him $600,000 for a series of interviews.

The Times said there was also speculation in TV circles this week that Clinton was meeting with CBS. But Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Television, said his company has had no meeting with the former president and called the idea of a Clinton talk show ridiculous.

Clinton has been making a handsome living since leaving the White House from speeches that pay $125,000 to $300,000 apiece. That is on top of his $12 million book deal.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

A talk show? That would be.. so.. weird. Uncomfortable, for sure. I doubt he'll do it, though.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Old 05-02-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Oh! oh! *waves hand*

I'll do it for $40 Mill! Tell cbs to pick me.. what a great deal they'll be getting!
Old 05-02-2002, 01:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

To ensure a ratings bonanza, the first week's guests have already been booked, though they don't know they are appearing on "Afternoons with Bubba", they think they are going on the Caroline Rhea show to talk Broadway :
Monday: Monica Lewinsky
Tuesday: Linda Trippe
Wednesday: Kenneth Starr
Thursday: Al Gore
Friday: Rush Limbaugh

------------------
The joker is the best card.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

God, this Clinton bashing is a bit old. What do you want him to do? Work for minimum wage, because he's an ex-president? No, we created this greedy, dog-eat-dog world, so now we have to lie in big pile of shit that the dog crapped out. Deal with it. If he can actually get $50 million, then good for him. That's capitalism, folks.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy
Old 05-02-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
Banned

Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
Local Time: 01:10 PM
Yeah right. Not fitting or proper for an ex- president to deal out talk show trash. More proof of what an ego-maniac he really is and further his attempt to try and overshadow his predecessor in the "limelight". The "Whitewater Scandal" was "never about money", but I guess for $50mil the truth comes out.

What a disgrace.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
Kid A

I love the use of the word "demands," as if Clinton is holding someone hostage

I really hope he doesn't, he should be doing a little more in his post-presidential years to help better the world we live in than by becoming a talk show host

Bill, if you need some advice on how to utilize the rest of your days, maybe you should be giving Jimmy Carter a call -- not NBC studios
Old 05-02-2002, 08:31 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:10 PM
I'd watch it!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
Banned

Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I really hope he doesn't, he should be doing a little more in his post-presidential years to help better the world we live in than by becoming a talk show host

But what does that pay????????

Old 05-03-2002, 07:15 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

But what did ex-presidents Reagan and Bush, Sr. do? I'll cut Reagan slack...he had early Alzheimer's by the time he got out of office, but what has Bush, Sr. done? In fact, Carter is really the only ex-president I can think of in recent memory to actually do more with his life than wallow in his piles of money and fame, holed up in his mansion.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy
Old 05-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #11
New Yorker

Jimmy gets the gong for best Ex President doesnt he?

As far as Bill goes, its the sort of guy he is, and the 50 million being demanded is according to a 'source' eg nothing that can actually be checked on so we don't really know whats happened in negotiations. I guess id watch his show but I do think he could do better things than hosting a tv show, why not utilise his obvious popularity as a speaker to talk at events other than high paying corporate dinners?
Old 05-03-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
*Melon*
Okay, since you forgot the thread topic was about CLINTON (not Reagan or Bush#41) I'll cut you some slack too

Hey, remember the assasination attempt on George H.W. Bush? I don't blame him for laying low a bit, besides the fact that he is old and probably just enjoys his retirement. But then, he has had a full life; he did fly B-52's in WWII, and led the CIA , and was VP for 8 years prior to his Presidency.

Now Clinton, during Whitewater-gate, was Governor of Wal-Mart, um I mean Arkansas, prior to his Presidency.

[This message has been edited by LOVE MUSCLE (edited 05-03-2002).]
Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

If a network is going to be dumb enough to pay, we'll be dumb enough to watch. Only in America.

------------------
Like a strand in the wind
In the web that is my own I begin again
Old 05-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Guess for the right price he IS willing to talk 50 Million!

The only good thing would be he might have Bono on If anyone pays him that much, that is INSANE.

Report: Clinton Discussing Own TV Talk Show
Thu May 2, 6:51 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton has met with NBC executives in Los Angeles to discuss hosting his own talk show, according to several television sources, The Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

Although the talks are only preliminary, one source said Clinton's interest was serious and said he was demanding a fee of $50 million a year and had aspirations "of becoming the next Oprah Winfrey," the paper said.

NBC officials would not comment on Wednesday, and Clinton's office in New York did not respond to an inquiry about the prospective talk show.

Television industry sources say chances are slim that Clinton would commit to such a plan once he understands the demands of the job, the Times said. The 55-year-old former president has told some Hollywood executives who have asked about a potential TV career that the rumors are untrue.

Television executives doubted that Clinton would sign up for a demanding regimen of daily tapings for 39 weeks that such a show would require.

There is no precedent for such a TV deal with a former president, the paper said, although Richard Nixon stirred controversy in 1975 when talk show host David Frost paid him $600,000 for a series of interviews.

The Times said there was also speculation in TV circles this week that Clinton was meeting with CBS. But Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Television, said his company has had no meeting with the former president and called the idea of a Clinton talk show ridiculous.

Clinton has been making a handsome living since leaving the White House from speeches that pay $125,000 to $300,000 apiece. That is on top of his $12 million book deal.

It's america...he can do what he wants

Old 05-04-2002, 10:42 AM   #15
I serve MacPhisto

True, but he is a smart enough guy to know when to draw the line, I doubt he would really do this.

Anyway, ex-presidents DON'T delve in talk show trash. It is acceptable to appear on talk shows if the format is right, but it would be a disgrace to the very institution for him to host a talk show.

EDIT: remove this

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 05-04-2002).]