Clinton Demands 50 Million A Year To Host Talk Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Guess for the right price he IS willing to talk
rolleyes.gif
50 Million!
eek.gif

The only good thing would be he might have Bono on
biggrin.gif
If anyone pays him that much, that is INSANE.

Report: Clinton Discussing Own TV Talk Show
Thu May 2, 6:51 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton has met with NBC executives in Los Angeles to discuss hosting his own talk show, according to several television sources, The Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

Although the talks are only preliminary, one source said Clinton's interest was serious and said he was demanding a fee of $50 million a year and had aspirations "of becoming the next Oprah Winfrey," the paper said.
rolleyes.gif

NBC officials would not comment on Wednesday, and Clinton's office in New York did not respond to an inquiry about the prospective talk show.

Television industry sources say chances are slim that Clinton would commit to such a plan once he understands the demands of the job, the Times said. The 55-year-old former president has told some Hollywood executives who have asked about a potential TV career that the rumors are untrue.

Television executives doubted that Clinton would sign up for a demanding regimen of daily tapings for 39 weeks that such a show would require.

There is no precedent for such a TV deal with a former president, the paper said, although Richard Nixon stirred controversy in 1975 when talk show host David Frost paid him $600,000 for a series of interviews.

The Times said there was also speculation in TV circles this week that Clinton was meeting with CBS. But Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Television, said his company has had no meeting with the former president and called the idea of a Clinton talk show ridiculous.

Clinton has been making a handsome living since leaving the White House from speeches that pay $125,000 to $300,000 apiece. That is on top of his $12 million book deal.

A talk show? That would be.. so.. weird. Uncomfortable, for sure. I doubt he'll do it, though.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Oh! oh! *waves hand*

I'll do it for $40 Mill! Tell cbs to pick me.. what a great deal they'll be getting!

To ensure a ratings bonanza, the first week's guests have already been booked, though they don't know they are appearing on "Afternoons with Bubba", they think they are going on the Caroline Rhea show to talk Broadway :
Monday: Monica Lewinsky
Tuesday: Linda Trippe
Wednesday: Kenneth Starr
Thursday: Al Gore
Friday: Rush Limbaugh

------------------
The joker is the best card.

God, this Clinton bashing is a bit old. What do you want him to do? Work for minimum wage, because he's an ex-president? No, we created this greedy, dog-eat-dog world, so now we have to lie in big pile of shit that the dog crapped out. Deal with it. If he can actually get $50 million, then good for him. That's capitalism, folks.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Yeah right. Not fitting or proper for an ex- president to deal out talk show trash. More proof of what an ego-maniac he really is and further his attempt to try and overshadow his predecessor in the "limelight". The "Whitewater Scandal" was "never about money", but I guess for $50mil the truth comes out.

What a disgrace.

I love the use of the word "demands," as if Clinton is holding someone hostage

I really hope he doesn't, he should be doing a little more in his post-presidential years to help better the world we live in than by becoming a talk show host

Bill, if you need some advice on how to utilize the rest of your days, maybe you should be giving Jimmy Carter a call -- not NBC studios

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I really hope he doesn't, he should be doing a little more in his post-presidential years to help better the world we live in than by becoming a talk show host

But what does that pay????????

But what did ex-presidents Reagan and Bush, Sr. do? I'll cut Reagan slack...he had early Alzheimer's by the time he got out of office, but what has Bush, Sr. done? In fact, Carter is really the only ex-president I can think of in recent memory to actually do more with his life than wallow in his piles of money and fame, holed up in his mansion.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Jimmy gets the gong for best Ex President doesnt he?

As far as Bill goes, its the sort of guy he is, and the 50 million being demanded is according to a 'source' eg nothing that can actually be checked on so we don't really know whats happened in negotiations. I guess id watch his show but I do think he could do better things than hosting a tv show, why not utilise his obvious popularity as a speaker to talk at events other than high paying corporate dinners?

*Melon*
Okay, since you forgot the thread topic was about CLINTON (not Reagan or Bush#41) I'll cut you some slack too
smile.gif

Hey, remember the assasination attempt on George H.W. Bush? I don't blame him for laying low a bit, besides the fact that he is old and probably just enjoys his retirement. But then, he has had a full life; he did fly B-52's in WWII, and led the CIA , and was VP for 8 years prior to his Presidency.

Now Clinton, during Whitewater-gate, was Governor of Wal-Mart, um I mean Arkansas, prior to his Presidency.

[This message has been edited by LOVE MUSCLE (edited 05-03-2002).]

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Guess for the right price he IS willing to talk
rolleyes.gif
50 Million!
eek.gif

The only good thing would be he might have Bono on
biggrin.gif
If anyone pays him that much, that is INSANE.

Report: Clinton Discussing Own TV Talk Show
Thu May 2, 6:51 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton has met with NBC executives in Los Angeles to discuss hosting his own talk show, according to several television sources, The Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

Although the talks are only preliminary, one source said Clinton's interest was serious and said he was demanding a fee of $50 million a year and had aspirations "of becoming the next Oprah Winfrey," the paper said.
rolleyes.gif

NBC officials would not comment on Wednesday, and Clinton's office in New York did not respond to an inquiry about the prospective talk show.

Television industry sources say chances are slim that Clinton would commit to such a plan once he understands the demands of the job, the Times said. The 55-year-old former president has told some Hollywood executives who have asked about a potential TV career that the rumors are untrue.

Television executives doubted that Clinton would sign up for a demanding regimen of daily tapings for 39 weeks that such a show would require.

There is no precedent for such a TV deal with a former president, the paper said, although Richard Nixon stirred controversy in 1975 when talk show host David Frost paid him $600,000 for a series of interviews.

The Times said there was also speculation in TV circles this week that Clinton was meeting with CBS. But Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Television, said his company has had no meeting with the former president and called the idea of a Clinton talk show ridiculous.

Clinton has been making a handsome living since leaving the White House from speeches that pay $125,000 to $300,000 apiece. That is on top of his $12 million book deal.

It's america...he can do what he wants

True, but he is a smart enough guy to know when to draw the line, I doubt he would really do this.

Anyway, ex-presidents DON'T delve in talk show trash. It is acceptable to appear on talk shows if the format is right, but it would be a disgrace to the very institution for him to host a talk show.

EDIT: remove this
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 05-04-2002).]

Clinton is no longer president. If he were going to do a talk show while president, then, yes, I'd agree with you. But he's Citizen Clinton now. He can do what he pleases. You also assume he's going to do a trashy, Jerry Springer-ish talk show, when I have a feeling he would do something along the lines of Oprah / Rosie O'Donnell.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
Clinton is no longer president. If he were going to do a talk show while president, then, yes, I'd agree with you. But he's Citizen Clinton now. He can do what he pleases. You also assume he's going to do a trashy, Jerry Springer-ish talk show, when I have a feeling he would do something along the lines of Oprah / Rosie O'Donnell.

Melon

Like hell, he may not be the current president but he will always be President Clinton.

Until his death, he will receive his annual salary and have a secret service detail assigned to his protection. Once a person assumes the oath of office, they are to conduct themself properly and uphold honor indefinitely.

To do otherwise would be a direct insult to the institution that elected them.

I heard something about an Oprah-esque type format, so I never asumed he would do the Springer thing really. Still, it is not proper for a President to conduct themself this way.

I believe this to be a clever ploy from the entertainment industry (and left) to use Clinton as the perfect pitch man to erode the renewed respect for office from the majority of the country. Since they can't seem to attack Bush upfront with any success.

With Clinton in the spotlight again as a President hosting daytime talk, our subconscious expectations associated with the position of Presidents in general will be lowered. And of course Bush will be trying to run his campaign during this time too.

This will supposedly put Bush off guard while the DICK Gephardts and Tom DASSchole's of the world prepare their agenda while the Gore's and McCain's (he'll be a Legitimate Dem by then for sure) put on their game faces.
smile.gif

Then I guess we have differing ideas on respect. Listening to Bush speak, for instance, is like driving nails into my ears...his grammar is terrible. I find that to be terribly disrespectful to the office. But, it should be inspirational to us all...it shows that any spoiled rich moron can become president if you ride on daddy's coattails and amass record campaign contributions from the world's wealthiest individuals and multinational corporations.......
tongue.gif

I still get great amusement from the story I heard from my brother's friend, who lived and worked in Kennebunkport, Maine. At the time (which was probably 3-4 years ago), she was a waitress and the Bush family came in. Bush, Sr. treated Bush, Jr. like an incompetant child the entire time, telling him to settle down and correcting his speech and manners the entire time. Oh how I'd pay for a video of that!
biggrin.gif

With the exception of the Monica scandal and his Republican economic policies, Clinton was always an interesting president. I guess I'm tired of the same old pampered rich kids (yes, that does include Gore) running for office and running our nation. Clinton did offer something new in regards to that, and, yet again, he still has a few surprises up his sleeve. And what does Bush offer? The same things as twenty years ago. You can only push the same old supply-side ideas so far.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
Then I guess we have differing ideas on respect. Listening to Bush speak, for instance, is like driving nails into my ears...

LOL that is funny, sorry
smile.gif

his grammar is terrible I find that to be terribly disrespectful to the office.

So if he were handicapped and in a wheelchair would that be disrespectful to the office then? See, because while his grammar is "terrible" and his speech is all fucked up, he is dislyxec (<--mine too, sp?) and reads words backwards, pronounces them wrong as a result and often "appears" idiotic but is genuinely smart as even you should realize if you observe him enough (w/wo the nails in yer ears)
smile.gif

But, it should be inspirational to us all...it shows that any spoiled rich moron can become president if you ride on daddy's coattails and amass record campaign contributions from the world's wealthiest individuals and multinational corporations.......
tongue.gif

Well he did not ride on daddy's coattails, he made his own way 8 years later, after daddy's last stand ended in failure if you remember.

He was independently wealthy too, not bad for a moron to govern a state the size of many nations and become involved in other powerful industries (oil) and manage sports organizations as well.

I still get great amusement from the story I heard from my brother's friend, who lived and worked in Kennebunkport, Maine. At the time (which was probably 3-4 years ago), she was a waitress and the Bush family came in. Bush, Sr. treated Bush, Jr. like an incompetant child the entire time, telling him to settle down and correcting his speech and manners the entire time. Oh how I'd pay for a video of that!
biggrin.gif

I doubt that story to be true, as you tell it probably exaggerated, if not total rubbish

With the exception of the Monica scandal and his Republican economic policies, Clinton was always an interesting president.

True, he was interesting, to say the least!

I guess I'm tired of the same old pampered rich kids (yes, that does include Gore) running for office and running our nation. Clinton did offer something new in regards to that, and, yet again, he still has a few surprises up his sleeve. And what does Bush offer? The same things as twenty years ago. You can only push the same old supply-side ideas so far.

Melon

You know every time we have this conversation, I remind you of your statement last summer about you hating Bush no matter what he accomplishes, no matter what.

At least get this right, though. He is not a rehash of the last 20 years (minus Bubba) of Presidency. He is not his father, and he has more patience and determination than his father, apparently. Probably has something to do with having a handicap, having to work harder in other areas to compensate for your insecurities and weaknesses given to you by God.

Back
Top Bottom