Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Psh, The Edge recognized it's superiority when he snippeted it during the U2 performance of "The Wanderer" :p.

I totally get you about jazz and the blues. I've been VERY slow in exploring further, but I'm really, REALLY digging what I'm hearing as well.

Ragtime is silly but SO fun in person.

You know, I've actually never heard anything by The Shadows. Insane, knowing you as long as I have.

I actually think this is part of the problem - a lot of early 20th century musical styles were designed for playing live, for audiences to dance to. They weren't meant for people like me to sit at home and listen to while posting on a messageboard and editing their conference presentation. It seems I'll at least get some "sitting at home" mileage out of some jazz artists perhaps, though.

You need some Shadows in your life. Apache, Man Of Mystery, Kon-Tiki, Shadoogie, Quartermaster's Stores, and Wonderful Land are my favouritres. Hank Marvin's guitar playing influenced so much of what we hear nowadays.

:lol:, tis cool. Yeah I need to hear some Shadows at some point, agreed. Next time I'm in that kind of mood, hopefully I'll remember.

I can send you some Shadows if need be. But really, any compilation that collects their early sixties singles (like those I mentioned) does the job. There's also their work with Cliff Richard, which musically is pretty good ... but it's with Cliff Richard.

Onto Amon Düül II's first album now. Straight up, this sounds good.

Traviud does. :wink:

Not so crazy on some of the very bizarre vocals (some work, some don't), but the music is quality. I'm very much enjoying this.

:lol: was that one of the bands/artists he recommended to you only "moments" ago? :doh:

Well, Tago Mago has officially overstayed its welcome. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't think it needed to be nearly this long.

:lol: was that one of the bands/artists he recommended to you only "moments" ago? :doh:

Haha, yep:

Axver, please do yourself a favor and listen to Amon Duul II's album if you haven't already. It's heavy, strange and a lot of fun. Definitely closer to the pysch you're looking for than Surrealistic Pillow (which is also amazing).

He meant Yeti but I found Phallus Dei quicker, so that's what I'm listening to. I'll definitely get Yeti though.

Does there HAVE to be a 21 minute long track on Phallus Dei though? I'm so over long tracks. (18 year old me would punch 24 year old me for saying that.)

Well, Tago Mago has officially overstayed its welcome. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't think it needed to be nearly this long.

Yeah, the expectation of a response like that is kind of what's put me off listening to Can for so long. I should've just listened back in the day when I was into all things long and wandering.

So I just noticed that Interference's time apparently hasn't realised that Australia's gone to DST and I'm an hour behind. I thought it had? But today all the times are an hour behind. I'm now not sure if it was correct up until now, or if I just hadn't noticed before.

We used to have this problem all the time, but I thought it had been fixed.

Please do listen to Ege Bamyasi. It's like...half the length. Only a couple "long" tracks too, longest being 10:00.

So I just noticed that Interference's time apparently hasn't realised that Australia's gone to DST and I'm an hour behind. I thought it had? But today all the times are an hour behind. I'm now not sure if it was correct up until now, or if I just hadn't noticed before.

We used to have this problem all the time, but I thought it had been fixed.

I've been noticing this as well. Bugging the hell out of me.

DST hasn't changed here yet, so I haven't got a change going yet.

Oh hell, apparently our local indie station really has a hard-on for this band, The Nails. I've actually heard TWO songs from the album play on their station over time.

Oh wait, wait, no, actually, I heard the other song from this I know, "88 lines about 44 Women" on my Uni's radio station.

Please do listen to Ege Bamyasi. It's like...half the length. Only a couple "long" tracks too, longest being 10:00.

Ah, cool. I see RYM loves it some Can too. God, those ratings for the first five albums are massive.

I've been noticing this as well. Bugging the hell out of me.

I'm glad it's not just me ... was I oblivious to it before today, or has it just happened now?

I've even changed my timezone to +1100 and that hasn't changed it.

DST hasn't changed here yet, so I haven't got a change going yet.

We've been on DST for over a month now, so if it's taken me this long to notice the forum's out of step with Australia ... that would just be hilarious/sad.

I'm glad it's not just me ... was I oblivious to it before today, or has it just happened now?

I've even changed my timezone to +1100 and that hasn't changed it.

It's only a today thing Axver, I'm pretty sure it was fine yesterday and beyond that.

It seems like DST messes up every time the states switch (since I assume that's where the servers are located?) so I doubt it's been like it for a month :lol:

Ah, cool. I see RYM loves it some Can too. God, those ratings for the first five albums are massive.

Seriously massive, look at the NUMBER of ratings, holding up those scores :crack:.

Shit, I do love "88 Lines about 44 Women" :dance:

I've never known a website to be as bad at getting Australian DST right as this one! :laugh:

Seriously, this happens every damn time.

Of course I never noticed until I met you guys, but that was like a century ago, right?

There's a couple of psychedelic bands I've discovered recently that I think the majority of you might enjoy. But on the other hand, they're in consideration for Punk Island and I'm not sure I want to introduce you to them before that. I'm torn.

That said, I'm going to see if a Stravinsky ballet is on Spotify.

I even thought it had been fixed! If I remember correctly, we got through the last DST with correct changes! Now we're back to fail time.

Oddly, selecting +1000 and +1100 gives the same time (both an hour behind what I actually am), but going for New Zealand's timezone of +1200 puts me an hour ahead of what I should be - and an hour behind New Zealand!

Must suck to live on the Chatham Islands. No forum in the world would cater for your +1245 timezone.

As soon as you started that sentence I knew you were going to be talking about that weird +0045 time zone :lol: :coocoo:

Holy shit, I'm kind of in love with The Nails' album :rockon:

And actually, damn...it's over. I can't remember the last time where I was sad because I felt an album was over far too soon.

Nepal used to be on +0642.

I believe they've now changed to the ever so slightly more sane +0640.

Unrelated: I'm totally getting into late eighties post-hardcore these days.

Now what is post-hardcore?

I'm not sure if anything intrigues me quite like the many MANY genre tags out there.

Listening to Remain in Light, I think I've finally realized what my "problem" with this album is. A lot of albums have the same problem of course, and that's the fact that "Once in a Lifetime" is just a billion times better than anything else on the album, imo at any rate, that I find myself waiting for it during the first three tracks, and then judging everything against it for the remainder of the album. Is that fair? no really, but I can't help it! "Once in a Lifetime" has been one of my favorite songs since I was a kid.

Now what is post-hardcore?

I'm not sure if anything intrigues me quite like the many MANY genre tags out there.

It evolved out of hardcore punk, with more complex arrangements and influence from other genres like experimental rock and noise rock. Think Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac (practically anything involving Steve Albini), The Jesus Lizard, Hüsker Dü, Fugazi, that sort of thing. It's gone through waves and recent post-hardcore sounds quite distinct from the original wave. I mean, some early Isis stuff like Celestial has a post-hardcore influence but sounds fuck-all like Big Black.

I looove all the weird and wonderful genres out there. Exploring what's been added on RYM can be great fun - and viewing the debates in the genre queue maddening and surreal in the watching-a-car-crash sort of way. Nerdcore just got added as a hip hop sub-genre. I laughed.

By the way, Ashley (and anyone, but I think Ashley will particularly like this), have you listened to The New Division's debut album Shadows? I dig it and Charlotte very much loves it.

Though their best song, Starfield, is on an EP from earlier this year called The Rookie.

It evolved out of hardcore punk, with more complex arrangements and influence from other genres like experimental rock and noise rock. Think Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac (practically anything involving Steve Albini), The Jesus Lizard, Hüsker Dü, Fugazi, that sort of thing. It's gone through waves and recent post-hardcore sounds quite distinct from the original wave. I mean, some early Isis stuff like Celestial has a post-hardcore influence but sounds fuck-all like Big Black.

I looove all the weird and wonderful genres out there. Exploring what's been added on RYM can be great fun - and viewing the debates in the genre queue maddening and surreal in the watching-a-car-crash sort of way. Nerdcore just got added as a hip hop sub-genre. I laughed.

I have only heard of the last three bands you mentioned, and seriously I NEED to hear something by Husker Du and Fugazi sooner, rather than later.

Holy shit, Nerdcore? Really?

Meanwhile, I'm over here finally falling in love with the Talking Heads. This was a long-time coming.

By the way, Ashley (and anyone, but I think Ashley will particularly like this), have you listened to The New Division's debut album Shadows? I dig it and Charlotte very much loves it.

Though their best song, Starfield, is on an EP from earlier this year called The Rookie.

Speaking of genres, what do we have here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom