Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about Real World, I loved the guitar riff. I'm half-tempted to listen to a few of their songs right now.

On a political note, it is pretty worrying seeing more than 20,000 Russian nationalists marching in Moscow. It is well known that beatings (and killings) of non-Slavic Russians is common, it really seems that the country is going right down the plughole. :(

Oh? What's been happening, what's caused it? I'm evidently very out of the loop.

(But on a lighter note, have you been watching Gruen Planet, and if so, are you enjoying What Would Putin Do?)

Oh? What's been happening, what's caused it? I'm evidently very out of the loop.

Well, it's been brewing pretty much since the collapse of the USSR, people from other states (Central Asia, Caucasus) immigrated into Russia, and as everything was in the shit many, as they do, blame the immigrants on their troubles (sound a little familiar). The neo-nazi/nationalist scene is giant, I remember a stat about how half of the world's neo-nazis reside in Russia. And as I said, people not of Slavic origin get beaten up by these neo nazis, even killed. The government, as you'd expect, does nothing. Nationalistic sentiments are strong in all of Eastern Europe (Baltics and the new Hungarian government for example).

This is something, although depressing, that intrigues me to a high degree.

(But on a lighter note, have you been watching Gruen Planet, and if so, are you enjoying What Would Putin Do?

Unfortunately I haven't watched the show, but the segment seems hilarious.

Sadly predictable too in a country where being Russian has been privileged and promoted for so long. Just look at how badly minorities copped it under certain Soviet leaders.

Though of course that's had the reverse situation in other former Soviet republics where those of Russian ethnicity have copped "revenge" at the hands of people whose nationality had been belittled for so long. What a huge fucking mess.

Sadly predictable too in a country where being Russian has been privileged and promoted for so long. Just look at how badly minorities copped it under certain Soviet leaders.

Though of course that's had the reverse situation in other former Soviet republics where those of Russian ethnicity have copped "revenge" at the hands of people whose nationality had been belittled for so long. What a huge fucking mess.

Only difference between then and now is that in the Soviet Union nationalist movements were oppressed, hilarious considering the elite were quite nationalist themselves. When Gorby arrived with his two friends, glasnost and perestroika, nationalism became much more open and able to roam.

There's this very good documentary that details the gangs in Russia today. Worth a watch if you're interested enough.

Can't watch now, just about to go for the night, but I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

Even though everybody's gone and and nobody cares anymore, here are some less commonly mentioned 60s-70s greats for Axtung Baby and Gall Vladder:

Jazz:
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame (essential for any lovers of early prog; unbelievable guitar work)
Grant Green - Idle Moments

Prog:
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Camel - Mirage
Soft Machine - Third
Caravan - In The Land of Grey and Pink
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Gong - Flying Teapot
Comus - First Utterance

Krautrock:
Can - Tago Mago/Ege Bamyasi
Neu! - Neu!/Neu! 75
Faust - Faust IV
Harmonia - Deluxe

Psychedelic Rock/Acid Rock/Hard Psych:
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Amon Duul II - Yeti
Monks - Black Monk Time
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
The Pretty Things - SF Sorrow/Parachute
The United States of America - The United States of America
The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sound of/Easter Everywhere
Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
Spirit - The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
The Move - Shazam

Psychedelic Pop/Tropicalia:
Love - Forever Changes
The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina
Gal Costa - Gal Costa
The Millennium - Begin
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina
Billy Nicholls - Would You Believe
Sagittarius - Present Tense
Caetano Veloso - Transa

Folk:
Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt/Our Mother The Mountain
Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
Jackson C. Frank - Jackon C. Frank
John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers
Roy Harper - Stormcock
Fairport Convention - Lieg and Lief
Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
John Prine - John Prine
John Martyn - Solid Air/Bless The Weather

Early electronic/ambient/avant-garde:
Suicide - Suicide
Terry Riley - A Rainbow In Curved Air
Jean Michael Jarre - Oxygene
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra/Rubycon
The Residents - Meet The Residents/Not Available
White Noise - An Electric Storm

I hate to defend vlad, but his opinion's really only unpopular/weird on the internet. 99% of people my age have absolutely no interest in music that's more than 10 or so years old.

It kills me, it really does. Luckily there's a select few who like good current music.

I've really got no interest in pre-late 60s music :shrug:

cobl04 said:
It kills me, it really does. Luckily there's a select few who like good current music.

I've really got no interest in pre-late 60s music :shrug:

The 60s at least has a lot of terrific soul for you to hear. Go find some weed, listen to Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes and tell me your life isn't infinity times better. That shit is cosmic.

Even though everybody's gone and and nobody cares anymore, here are some less commonly mentioned 60s-70s greats for Axtung Baby and Gall Vladder:

Apart from the tropicalia section, I've heard of (if not actually heard) almost all of that! Give me some credit for spending so much time on RYM. :tongue:

That said, recommendations from you carries weight, as opposed to people on RYM bickering.

I hate to defend vlad, but his opinion's really only unpopular/weird on the internet. 99% of people my age have absolutely no interest in music that's more than 10 or so years old.

I don't even think that's what he was saying. I didn't want to take sides here between two people I like, I think trying to plot a middle ground was apparent in my posts, but by the end of it, I'm largely with Vlad. It's not that he's outright unwilling to listen to older music (like probably the majority of people our age, who are all "lol old gay shit"), it's that - as I'm reading it - what he's heard hasn't caught his interest, so he hasn't taken it any further. And what's so wrong with that? We all do it. If you hear a few songs by an artist and don't particularly like them, you probably don't go and get an album. If you've heard a few songs by a whole bunch of artists from a particular era or genre and not been taken by them, then you're probably not going to rush headlong into the era or genre's music.

What I think didn't help Vlad's cause was the dismissive "Beatles, Led Zep, whatever" comment, as if there are only two bands from then - but I'm going to take it that like almost every other person on the planet, he's heard a good number songs from a range of canonical sixties/seventies artists. Haven't we all heard songs by Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Cat Stevens, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix, and so on before we've even turned ten? I don't feel like I need to listen to their canonical albums to know that I'm not that interested in them. I presume Vlad feels the same way.

And anyway, we all listen to music differently. LM goes through a staggering amount of music. Charlotte spends a lot of time with her favourites. I'm somewhere in between - you've all seen my last.fm stats, which sometimes skew to astronomical listening figures for a single artist (Porcupine Tree being only the most notable), and which sometimes skew to a shitload of different artists. Other people listen differently to either of those ways. Doesn't make anybody's habits more or less ideal.

I mean, I honestly found this unhelpful (and needlessly aggressive):

You know what I did when I felt that I wasn't listening to or respedting enough 90s music? I made a fucking list of the supposed good shit I hadn't heard, and then picked my way through it, and in doing so became a huge fucking fan of dream pop and shoegaze.

That's not going to work for heaps of people. It didn't work for me. I can't make a list of music and just work through it, except occasionally when it's something I'm already passionate about and want to explore further. I can totally see why somebody would think that looks more like a chore than listening for pleasure. And that's ultimately all this is about, listening to stuff because you enjoy music. Nobody's under any obligation to listen to anything - which is why I hate when B&C gets on Danny's case for listening to the "wrong" albums by a band. Who cares which album or genre or era somebody's picked up, as long as they're passionate about their music and enjoy listening to it?

Christ I've gone on and on. And I hope that doesn't across as lecturesome or anything. I just wanted to air some thoughts, especially after waking up and reading over the thread.

Hey Ashley, I just finished Surrealistic Pillow. Obviously I already knew White Rabbit, and the rest was good, at least a 3.5/5 ... not quite as psychedelic as I expected though. Lots of it was more folky, which was good but I'd have enjoyed even more of the psychedelic side.

No I'm with you too. It's a shame vlad's dismissed that music, but in the end it's not a big deal. I was genuinely surprised and a little shocked by Ashley's posts. I saw vlad's comments and went "oh yeah that's a bit weird" and then forgot about it 10 seconds later.

Music listening shouldn't be a chore.

Honestly, we all have our blind spots or dismissals. I see people dismissing some of my favourite genres or eras all the time when they've probably only heard a few songs or bands ... and christ, I struggle to find a New Zealander of our age who thinks that New Zealand music is worthwhile. Kiwis can really be their own worst critics.

At least Australia's generally proud of what it produces.

Axver said:
Hey Ashley, I just finished Surrealistic Pillow. Obviously I already knew White Rabbit, and the rest was good, at least a 3.5/5 ... not quite as psychedelic as I expected though. Lots of it was more folky, which was good but I'd have enjoyed even more of the psychedelic side.

In my experience, what I expect to be psychedelic rarely turns out to sound like what I'm expecting, if that makes sense. The Grace Slick tracks are all pretty on the money, but the songs the guy sings are the more folksy ones, yet if you listen to the lyrics, he might be higher than she is, just more mellow.

I'll probably leave Travis to lead you to more music. It's sad, I love psychedelic rock SO much, but I'm woefully ignorant of the genre as well.

"proud" is an understatement :lol:

Hah, yeah. When I say that Aussie music is great, there's always a bunch of Australians to back me up. When I say that Kiwi music is great, there's always a bunch of New Zealanders to go "nah we're shit bro". Usually from the same Kiwis who hate Split Enz and Dave Dobbyn because they're "old gay shyt" and think any current music from New Zealand is made by bands as crappy as Elemeno P.

In my experience, what I expect to be psychedelic rarely turns out to sound like what I'm expecting, if that makes sense. The Grace Slick tracks are all pretty on the money, but the songs the guy sings are the more folksy ones, yet if you listen to the lyrics, he might be higher than she is, just more mellow.

I'll probably leave Travis to lead you to more music. It's sad, I love psychedelic rock SO much, but I'm woefully ignorant of the genre as well.

I guess I kind of expect psychedelic music to be ... well, crazy. Not mellow and well-structured, though I can totally see how people reeeaaallly high on weed would go for the psychedelic folk sort of stuff. I'm quite keen to find more in the vein of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, Interstellar Overdrive, that sort of thing. If either of you know something that fits that bill ...

Wait until you hear their music ...!

Or on second thoughts, spare yourself.

Axver said:
Apart from the tropicalia section, I've heard of (if not actually heard) almost all of that! Give me some credit for spending so much time on RYM. :tongue:

Oh, I'd assumed you had. But I would be surprised if whatever, etc. included Silver Apples. :wink:

Axver, please do yourself a favor and listen to Amon Duul II's album if you haven't already. It's heavy, strange and a lot of fun. Definitely closer to the pysch you're looking for than Surrealistic Pillow (which is also amazing).

Axver said:
I guess I kind of expect psychedelic music to be ... well, crazy. Not mellow and well-structured, though I can totally see how people reeeaaallly high on weed would go for the psychedelic folk sort of stuff. I'm quite keen to find more in the vein of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, Interstellar Overdrive, that sort of thing. If either of you know something that fits that bill ...
I agree completely, part of the reason why a lot of stuff I heard took me by surprise at first, but it looks like you and I like about the same stuff in this regard.

Maybe you should listen to their satanic majesties request :runsawaybeforetraviscanstopme:

I'm making a psych rock album next for Disinfectant Trifecta, so I'm really into that at the moment, as well as Krautrock and druggy acid folk like Skip Spence and Syd Barrett's solo stuff. I want to get my dad's old 4 track out and integrate some sped up/slowed down guitar lines, creepy tape whirring and a whole lot of lo-fi in there also.

Wish Shouter was still around to help inspire me with his acid rock favorites.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the topic, at least for now while I'm still stuck on mobile, maybe when I have access to a computer later tonight I'll say more.

The last thing I want is for anyone to consider music to be a chore. Trust me, I love music. It and film are my life.

To say that you've heard a few singles throughout your life and then pretty much decide that you have no interest in 20 years of a, what? 60 year old entity? To me, that's a cop-out. I don't care if you don't want to try now, especially if said person is young, but as an avid fan of music, for that hunger just not to even appear to be there, even if the means or desire haven't quite yet caught up, that's just sad.

I mean, take, for example, me and the Beatles. We all know I hated them. Then someone in this thread, Lemel? Got all of us to listen to Abbey Road. Hell, Ax, you even liked it. I'd discounted the Beatles for years, simply because I thought there was nothing worthwhile to hear, since I'd been listening to their singles and whatnot all my life. It's been slow, but last night when I made that list, I realized that in spite of everything, I really love the Beatles now, more or less.

Musical discoveries like that don't fall into your lap, not most of the time. There's a lot of music out there, and while, maybe to an outside viewer, working through a lot of it may appear to-be a chore, I can't think of much else more worthwhile.

As for my 90s list, when I said I worked through it, I meant I picked and choosed things as I saw fit. I didn't go through it in any order. As most of you may recall, I was even using a random number generator to pick which albums to listen to, sometimes resulting in the most fun I've ever had listening to new music.

Axver, please do yourself a favor and listen to Amon Duul II's album if you haven't already. It's heavy, strange and a lot of fun. Definitely closer to the pysch you're looking for than Surrealistic Pillow (which is also amazing).

Now there's a band I've sometimes thought about hearing. Shall do.

Need to also check out Faust after seeing some of their set at Overground earlier this year and being impressed.

Maybe you should listen to their satanic majesties request :runsawaybeforetraviscanstopme:

It's going to take more than that to get me to listen to the Rolling Stones willingly!

I want to get my dad's old 4 track out and integrate some sped up/slowed down guitar lines, creepy tape whirring and a whole lot of lo-fi in there also.

Wish Shouter was still around to help inspire me with his acid rock favorites.

Now that sounds cool.

And Shouter's gone?

Wait, Ax, seriously? Have you heard anything from Satanic Majesties? "She's a Rainbow" doesn't count.

My point is that music appreciation on the net and music appreciation "in real life" are very different. The line between has blurred for us because we spend so (too) much time here. My dad doesn't like the Beatles at all. And he will never, ever seek out five albums he hasn't heard and listen to them to broaden his music horizons. And as much as I cannot fucking stand people who only listen to commercial radio, they're happy, their music ignorance is bliss. I'm making a mix cd for a few of my mates with more open minds... but for some of my other mates even sitting through five minutes of it would bore them to tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom