Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, people, calm down. Vlad, your initial dismissal was a bit swift. Ashley, no need to pile in on the guy. I don't see him doing a WalterDigsTunes "REAL music was only made between 19xx and 19yy and I refuse to believe there could be good music from any other period".

When did I say that I dismissed two decades of music? I was being completely reasonable throughout the conversation, I simply said that I've tried to get into music from that particular era, but I hadn't gathered enough enthusiasm to continue further.

Seriously.

I'd consider saying I've tried "The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and whatever, eh" to be pretty damn dismissive. You know what I did when I felt that I wasn't listening to or respedting enough 90s music? I made a fucking list of the supposed good shit I hadn't heard, and then picked my way through it, and in doing so became a huge fucking fan of dream pop and shoegaze. So, if you're telling me you've given it a concerted effort, I'll lay off. If you're just saying you don't feel like it because the 70s are associated with dad rock, and you have some unknown problem with the 60s, I can't accept that from someone who really appears to be a music lover.

Woah, people, calm down. Vlad, your initial dismissal was a bit swift. Ashley, no need to pile in on the guy. I don't see him doing a WalterDigsTunes "REAL music was only made between 19xx and 19yy and I refuse to believe there could be good music from any other period".

I don't think I really dismissed anything, I simply stated that although I have tried to enter the realm of 60s/70s music, it hasn't really resonated with me, like, say the 90s. I don't believe I've ever stated that omg oldiezzzz musik is so badd!1!11!!.

In all honesty, I was extremely surprised that there were people took my non fandom of the 60s/70s so closely to heart. Extremely surprised.

Axver said:
Meat Loaf is the only one to play the AFL grand final?

Leonard Cohen superseded Nick Drake, and the folk scene of the period would have been much weaker without him. No reason whatsoever to scoff at the suggestion of investigating his high quality, highly-respected discography.

Vlad n U 2 said:
I don't think I really dismissed anything, I simply stated that although I have tried to enter the realm of 60s/70s

To what extent?

I'll make a list of obscure, largely international shit nobody here has an opinion on so you'll have an excuse to try it.

I'd consider saying I've tried "The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and whatever, eh" to be pretty damn dismissive.

I wasn't going to list 50 bands, was I?

You know what I did when I felt that I wasn't listening to or respedting enough 90s music? I made a fucking list of the supposed good shit I hadn't heard, and then picked my way through it, and in doing so became a huge fucking fan of dream pop and shoegaze. So, if you're telling me you've given it a concerted effort, I'll lay off. If you're just saying you don't feel like it because the 70s are associated with dad rock, and you have some unknown problem with the 60s, I can't accept that from someone who really appears to be a music lover

You're acting as if music finding is some sort of assignment we need to be graded on for effort. :wink: If I'm not interested, then I'm not interested, in the future I may discover a strong liking for a band from an era, maybe I won't, I remain open and I'm not going to push myself into something that I'm not completely enthusiastic about, if that makes sense.

I don't have any problem with the 60s or 70s, music related, and the "dad rock" description is a non-factor for me. I've listened to Soviet-era music belonging to my dad without a second thought.

I don't think I really dismissed anything, I simply stated that although I have tried to enter the realm of 60s/70s music, it hasn't really resonated with me, like, say the 90s. I don't believe I've ever stated that omg oldiezzzz musik is so badd!1!11!!.

In all honesty, I was extremely surprised that there were people took my non fandom of the 60s/70s so closely to heart. Extremely surprised.

Well no, you never said anything quite like that, but I do think a couple of your one-liner posts were pretty dismissive and I can understand why Ashley reacted to them like she did.

I'm surprised I didn't cop anything though! I mean, I genuinely struggle to find music I love that predates the rise of post-punk. There is some stuff that I can play the shit out of, but it's scarce and I'm disinterested in most of the "classic" stuff. I keep looking, but I get terrible returns compared to, say, exploring nineties shoegaze or recent post-rock or early eighties post-punk or what-have-you.

To what extent?

Does that really even matter? I usually don't just download/purchase albums before I preview all the songs and if I liked the previews enough, I would go on to get it.

Is it really so bad to say that none of it has really clicked with me in order to discover more, is it really so bad?

Well no, you never said anything quite like that, but I do think a couple of your one-liner posts were pretty dismissive and I can understand why Ashley reacted to them like she did.

Probably.

Leonard Cohen superseded Nick Drake, and the folk scene of the period would have been much weaker without him. No reason whatsoever to scoff at the suggestion of investigating his high quality, highly-respected discography.

I just can't stand him, sorry.

I'll make a list of obscure, largely international shit nobody here has an opinion on so you'll have an excuse to try it.

I'm sincere when I say please do. The canon's largely failing me, or at least not sparking enough interest to distract me from my usual turf.

Seriously, how hard can it be to find more things as good as The Shadows' Apache or Shadoogie, or Link Wray's Black Widow? Very, apparently.

Hell, even more crazy psychedelic shit like PF's Piper would go down a treat. I haven't looked much on that front though.

I'm surprised I didn't cop anything though! I mean, I genuinely struggle to find music I love that predates the rise of post-punk. There is some stuff that I can play the shit out of, but it's scarce and I'm disinterested in most of the "classic" stuff. I keep looking, but I get terrible returns compared to, say, exploring nineties shoegaze or recent post-rock or early eighties post-punk or what-have-you.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you've at least listened to a lot of what I listed...at least I would think you had, since the whole point I'm getting at is that expanding musical horizons is important, even if you don't like everything you hear.

if you, Vlad, think it's too much work, that's your loss, I suppose.

I really am pretty done with this conversation, as I'm honestly pretty pissed off right now.

You haven't heard much psychedelic music, Ax? I would think that would be something you enjoy. Starship associations aside, if you haven't heard Surrealistic Pillow yet, I hope you go do just that. I'm honestly suprised, for the record, that you scoffed ath the Grateful Dead, also, have you heard any of their albums? They're pretty awesomely chilled, mildly psych, rock albums.

I really am pretty done with this conversation, as I'm honestly pretty pissed off right now.

I came very close to typing out an insult (as is the par for my pretty short temper, I'm prone to lashing out at times), but thought better of it.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you've at least listened to a lot of what I listed...at least I would think you had, since the whole point I'm getting at is that expanding musical horizons is important, even if you don't like everything you hear.

if you, Vlad, think it's too much work, that's your loss, I suppose.

While I agree that expanding musical horizons is important, I'm also sympathetic to what Vlad is saying, that music is for pleasure and joy, not something to do as a chore. Plus, honestly, you and I are compulsive downloaders/stream listeners. And apart a few freaks with early starts, where were we when we were sixteen? I was listening to U2 pretty much non-stop. A bit of Pink Floyd there, a budding interest in Porcupine Tree there, some Linkin Park still lingering in a dark corner, but 90% of the time it was U2.

In the end, can I plot a nice middle ground in this debate, a middle ground of "listen to what you want, when you want, and enjoy it"? :shrug:

Vlad n U 2 said:
Does that really even matter?

As far as making recommendations are concerned, it certainly does.

Axver said:
I just can't stand him, sorry.

I'm sincere when I say please do. The canon's largely failing me, or at least not sparking enough interest to distract me from my usual turf.

Seriously, how hard can it be to find more things as good as The Shadows' Apache or Shadoogie, or Link Wray's Black Widow? Very, apparently.

Hell, even more crazy psychedelic shit like PF's Piper would go down a treat. I haven't looked much on that front though.

I find that quite strange, personally, but it took you ages to like Pink Moon.

I absolutely shall, RYM has treated me quite well lately as far as international acts are concerned. I'll return later to this mess with that whole mess.

In the end, can I plot a nice middle ground in this debate, a middle ground of "listen to what you want, when you want, and enjoy it"? :shrug:

Again, I agree with this 100%. Everyone's happy.

You haven't heard much psychedelic music, Ax? I would think that would be something you enjoy. Starship associations aside, if you haven't heard Surrealistic Pillow yet, I hope you go do just that. I'm honestly suprised, for the record, that you scoffed ath the Grateful Dead, also, have you heard any of their albums? They're pretty awesomely chilled, mildly psych, rock albums.

I'll totally give Surrealistic Pillow a go, then.

I've a relative who likes some Grateful Dead, and what I've heard of it seemed to have a bit of a country tinge or was that sort of aimless wandering jam band stuff that I don't really dig.

But yeah, you'd think I'd have heard more psychedelic music. One day I actually tentatively started on an exploration ... but the first thing I listened to was 13th Floor Elevators' debut, which I didn't like much, deflated my sails, and I just failed to keep going, distracted by other things that caught my eye more.

I came very close to typing out an insult (as is the par for my pretty short temper, I'm prone to lashing out at times), but thought better of it.
The fact that you even said anything speaks volumes about yourself. Done wasting my time.
While I agree that expanding musical horizons is important, I'm also sympathetic to what Vlad is saying, that music is for pleasure and joy, not something to do as a chore. Plus, honestly, you and I are compulsive downloaders/stream listeners. And apart a few freaks with early starts, where were we when we were sixteen? I was listening to U2 pretty much non-stop. A bit of Pink Floyd there, a budding interest in Porcupine Tree there, some Linkin Park still lingering in a dark corner, but 90% of the time it was U2.

I was doing the best I could at the time, if i'd had the resources then that I do now, things may have been far different. Going to RYM and then Grooveshark isn't much of a chore, thank God for the digital age.

On another note, it feels so unbelievably warm today. Looks like summer weather is starting to hit hard. But, on the other hand, ice cream!

Far too hot over here, Vlad!

I was doing the best I could at the time, if i'd had the resources then that I do now, things may have been far different. Going to RYM and then Grooveshark isn't much of a chore, thank God for the digital age.

Oh man, I was obsessive ... I still am really, just now it's about music in general rather than one band.

Though if it weren't for the Internet, I fear I'd still be stuck on one band, or a handful of bands. I'm such a stinge, I struggle to buy albums unless I know I like a good number of the tracks - the Internet just opened up a whole world for me. Plus I hate browsing in music shops.

Oh man, I was obsessive ... I still am really, just now it's about music in general rather than one band.

Though if it weren't for the Internet, I fear I'd still be stuck on one band, or a handful of bands. I'm such a stinge, I struggle to buy albums unless I know I like a good number of the tracks - the Internet just opened up a whole world for me. Plus I hate browsing in music shops.

It was only a few years ago when I was still listening to U2 obsessively, they were just about the only band I listened to (if you forget a few month stint of Matchbox Twenty, as I've mentioned in earlier times, I cannot hate them). Last year marked a change to other music, correlating with getting broadband, that was fun.

I hate it because there's so much I waaaanttttt!

Hope you like Surrealistic Pillow. If you do there are a lot of great other things out there. Psychedelic music is one of my favorite genres.

It was only a few years ago when I was still listening to U2 obsessively, they were just about the only band I listened to (if you forget a few month stint of Matchbox Twenty, as I've mentioned in earlier times, I cannot hate them). Last year marked a change to other music, correlating with getting broadband, that was fun.

Haha, do you know that Matchbox Twenty's debut album was totally a favourite of mine when I was eleven? I remember when Push came out. Ten or eleven year old me just loved it. I probably still know all the words. :uhoh:

I hate it because there's so much I waaaanttttt!

Hope you like Surrealistic Pillow. If you do there are a lot of great other things out there. Psychedelic music is one of my favorite genres.

I'll give it a spin tomorrow morning and let you know.

Haha, do you know that Matchbox Twenty's debut album was totally a favourite of mine when I was eleven? I remember when Push came out. Ten or eleven year old me just loved it. I probably still know all the words. :uhoh:

I remember you talking about that. I absolutely loved Unwell when it came out, and I still like it to this day.

As for Push, everytime I think of it I immediately get the chorus stuck in my head, words incorrect and everything. Long Day was great too!

I wanna push you around
And I will, and I will
I wanna push yuyojkpvfijgfh

That's all I can gather from my memories.

Real World, Push, and Back To Good were my three favourite tracks. I was disappointed when 3am became huge though, it was one of my least favourites!

Honestly, when I look back on it, the late nineties charts weren't that bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom