Chicago Tourist Advice? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Cool thanks

I'm going to talk to Gav more about our plans tomorrow; I'll definitely be in touch - if there's one thing I know both of us love, it's live music

Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sad_Girl
Is the House of Blues worth visiting?

or is there a particularly good place for live music we should check out?
IMO Buddy Guy's Legends is better, as far as higher-profile blues clubs go. But it's always a good idea to check current listings as they become available--you never know who might pop up where. Green Mill Cocktail Lounge is a good jazz club.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #18
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Buddy Guy's! Good call, yolland. I haven't been there yet, but, yes, I've heard great things about it!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #19
Refugee

I loooove Chicago! I do live like an hour away.

I just went to this place called the Beat Kitchen on Belmont last night to see a band. I don't know who's playing tonight, but they have a great setup. I'm under 21 so they marked my hands and told me I could only stay in the back room since the front has a bar. They did a great job with security, and the room with the stage wasn't chaotic or anything. It was great. Most of the bands are local, but great. Tickets are only about $10 at the door, and the food is excellent. I had the pizza, and it was amazing. This is probably not the scene you're looking for, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone looking for a good place to see bands in Chicago.

Of course, I love the Sears Tower, Oriental Theatre (Wicked is probably still playing there. I highly recommend it.), the museums, the Shedd Aquarium...oh and definitely Navy Pier. Looove it.

The nice thing about the place is that there are so many little hidden things that are just as amazing as the bigger ones.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #20
I Serve Larry's Stick

I haven't been to Beat Kitchen yet. Driven by it a lot to get to Schubas though. I'll have to keep my eye on it in case someone that sounds interesting books a date there.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #21
Acrobat

Chicago in the summer may be the best city in the United States. It's a shame it's only summer for about 3 weeks there
Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
I haven't been to Beat Kitchen yet. Driven by it a lot to get to Schubas though. I'll have to keep my eye on it in case someone that sounds interesting books a date there.

Check the website. One of the bands I like, The Ataris are coming, but it's an 18+ show.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
Chicago in the summer may be the best city in the United States. It's a shame it's only summer for about 3 weeks there
I'd agree if it were not so humid. I forgot what it was like to live in a humid area after 10 years in LA, and it bitch slaps me around a lot.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #24
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by LikeNoOneBefore

Check the website. One of the bands I like, The Ataris are coming, but it's an 18+ show.
I think I'm on their mailing list. I think I'm on EVERYone's mailing list now.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
http://www.transitchicago.com/
http://www.pacebus.com/

In case you don't want the hassles of a rental car

And if it's a nice day.....walk around Grant and Millenium Park....it's really pretty and you still get a great view of the Lake
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 PM
I love Chicago Wrigley is a great place to visit as is the Shedd Aquarium. Navy Pier is definitely worth going to also. Gives a great view of the lake with the skyline right there.

Believe with this city that it's so easy to come upon something great unexpectedly. It's like there are little jewels spread throughout.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
Hey. It's been hot here since May. (and I've got the tan to prove it!)

I'd also suggest visiting the Art Institute. You can enjoy Millennium Park before/after as well.

Most of the gangster sites no longer exist. The site of the St Valentine's Day massacre is now just a lot, for example. You can still visit the place were Dillinger was shot though.

Navy Pier has free shuttles to take you to touristy places around the city. Free is good.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

I did two things in Chicago when I was there three days last year: Wrigley Field and Navy Pier.

There was plenty to do too. It's my favorite city that's not Philadelphia.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
I've been here for over 3 years now and there's still so much I have left to see and do! it's been awfully hot and humid here for several months, so I haven't done a ton this summer. But I have been to a bunch of White Sox games, and a Cubs game as well. But Millenium Park/Grant Park is a good place to walk around. the museums are worth checking out, really like the Aquarium and the Art Institute. Navy Pier is really touristy, only really like it for the views outside of it. the Sears tower is awesome on a clear day. Lou Mitchell's is a good place for breakfast too, think it's on Jackson, not too far away from Union Station. Lincoln Park Zoo is another good option, it's free! State Street and Michigan Ave are good if you're looking to do some shopping from the cheap to the super expensive.

definitely recommend public transportation if you don't plan on renting a car. much much easier IMO.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Actually you should hop on the Brown Line train going south, wrapping around the loop... it's an elevated train and it takes you through all the buildings and across the river , good view of the city!