Centralia, PA Superthread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #346
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Now, the Frank Sinatra story is funny.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

And my maternal grandmother's maiden name is Cockburn.

THAT'S "CO-BURN", PEOPLE.

I always felt kinda bad for the guys at school whose surname was Wang. They got paid out soooo much.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

I wish I had a dog, or any kind of pet for that matter.

Actually I'd like a cat, but my entire family is dead set against the idea.
fact: Dogs > Cats
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Here's a set with some EPIC PHAIL.

1987-06-03, Birmingham

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
9. In God's Country
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Maggie's Farm / Cold Turkey (snippet) / School's Out (snippet)
12. People Get Ready
13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

14. Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
15. October
16. New Year's Day
17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
18. With Or Without You
19. 40

Three covers in a gig is one thing, but THREE COVERS IN A ROW?! Come on guys!
The funny thing is, Bono probably remembers the words to cover songs / snippets better than he does his own songs.

Hehe, I do remember him at Melb2 trying to snippet "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue, failing miserably and getting zero crowd response for some reason and giving the biggest "WHAAAT" look whilst shrugging and then laughing with Adam / Edge / Larry.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Which one's this? The one where Edge and Bono take him out to a restaurant or something?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #351
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Quote:

I always felt kinda bad for the guys at school whose surname was Wang. They got paid out soooo much.
That's got to suck. We had a Huang who was nicknamed Wanger, but he took it with pride.

He also gave the funniest speech ever in my English class.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

That's got to suck. We had a Huang who was nicknamed Wanger, but he took it with pride.

He also gave the funniest speech ever in my English class.
There was one guy called Chen Wang who got paid out a huge amount. Any time he did anything silly, someone would always just go "hehehe... Wang" and everyone'd just burst out laughing.

My year had something like 12 people with the surname Nguyen
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #353
Vocal parasite

Quote:

The funny thing is, Bono probably remembers the words to cover songs / snippets better than he does his own songs.

Hehe, I do remember him at Melb2 trying to snippet "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue, failing miserably and getting zero crowd response for some reason and giving the biggest "WHAAAT" look whilst shrugging and then laughing with Adam / Edge / Larry.
Oh, he's fucked up the lyrics to covers before. "Nooo" you say. From Southern Man's debut on 16 February 1982:

Comments: Before the concert, Bono hears Neil Young's Southern Man on the radio and likes it enough that he encourages the band not only to soundcheck it, but to actually perform it that very night. The band goes along with Bono, and because he knows few of the song's lyrics, Bono pulls a fan on stage to help him out during the concert.

And oh non-existent God, Bono's attempts to snippet Spinning Around were laughable. Kylie Minogue, incidentally, must be Phail Collins' wife.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #354
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Summary: Bono and Sinatra record a duet of "I've Got You Under My Skin." They ask Bono and Sinatra to do a video. Edge shows up since he's in LA at the time. As Edge puts it, "It was obvious that Frank was starting to suffer from some kind of lapses of his full grasp of reality." The director tells Bono to wait outside and leaves Frank standing at the bar waiting for Bono. Frank "starts to get agitated" and begins yelling at the director to get him out of the room and asks why he's there. They tell him he's shooitng a video with Bono. Frank yells, "Sonny Bono? Why am I making a video with him for?" He calls Bono later to apologize, saying, "I don't like to do a lot of takes. I get uncomfortable when I'm just hanging around."
Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #355
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

fact: Dogs > Cats
That's fiction, U Coin, fiction.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #356
Vocal parasite

Quote:

There was one guy called Chen Wang who got paid out a huge amount. Any time he did anything silly, someone would always just go "hehehe... Wang" and everyone'd just burst out laughing.

My year had something like 12 people with the surname Nguyen
He must be scarred for life.

And let me guess, none of the non-Asian students actually ever figured out how to pronounce Nguyen?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #357
Blue Crack Supplier

Adam describes drinking before the Sydney shows:

All I can say is I remember the night before thinking, "Mmm, it might be nice to have a glass of wine." The next thing I remember it was about 7:00 in the evening of the next day and people were trying to wake me up and see if I could go down and do the gig. I don't really know what happened in the intervening time, other than that I'd been out for a bit and I'd gone through the mini bar in the room.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Summary: Bono and Sinatra record a duet of "I've Got You Under My Skin." They ask Bono and Sinatra to do a video. Edge shows up since he's in LA at the time. As Edge puts it, "It was obvious that Frank was starting to suffer from some kind of lapses of his full grasp of reality." The director tells Bono to wait outside and leaves Frank standing at the bar waiting for Bono. Frank "starts to get agitated" and begins yelling at the director to get him out of the room and asks why he's there. They tell him he's shooitng a video with Bono. Frank yells, "Sonny Bono? Why am I making a video with him for?" He calls Bono later to apologize, saying, "I don't like to do a lot of takes. I get uncomfortable when I'm just hanging around."
BONO = OWNED!

Incidentally, do you have a copy of that duet? I've always thought it was one of his better duets (Bono's).
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #359
Blue Crack Supplier

While in Tokyo for the Zoo TV Tour, Bono fell asleep in the house of a Yakuza, and woke up the next morning with a snake tied around him. The snake took a piss on him.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

He must be scarred for life.

And let me guess, none of the non-Asian students actually ever figured out how to pronounce Nguyen?
Actually, given that the population mix was something like 30% Australian, 25% Indian, 30% Asian and 15% Miscellaneous, everyone could pronounce almost everyone's surnames, with the obvious exception of some of the Indian ones.

There was one white teacher I had who was better at pronouncing Asian surnames (like Ng) than most of the Asian students. Now that was weird.

Tags
superthread