Centralia, PA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Urine Appreciator, I think you need to return that post to where it belongs, PLEBA.

I like the part where he tries to be clever using the word "hung."

major_panic said:

:scream: But... but... that'd be like eating a horse! I mean, you ride both of them animals around, give them names, feed them from your hand, right?

And sometimes they breed to plague proportions and need to be culled.

Apparently their mince is really good. I haven't tried it yet, but I will next time I make Bolognese sauce.

phillyfan26 said:
FACT: Bono claims to have invented to square squared.

[In reference to Achtung Baby's cover] "The success of this is it's 16 different images and they're all great sleeve ideas. I came up with the grid system as a solution and it has become associated with our band. I keep seeing it now in commercials and on internet sites. We didn't invent the square squared, but I think we own it for our era."

I can see it already.

"Well we didn't invent the iPod commercials, but I came up with the idea of having the people all in black against coloured backgrounds. It's now heavily associated with U2, I keep seeing it on billboards and commercials. We didn't really invent it, but we do own it for our era."

phillyfan26 said:
FACT: Bono claims to have invented to square squared.

[In reference to Achtung Baby's cover] "The success of this is it's 16 different images and they're all great sleeve ideas. I came up with the grid system as a solution and it has become associated with our band. I keep seeing it now in commercials and on internet sites. We didn't invent the square squared, but I think we own it for our era."

Bono invented music.

Chris Martin invented the piano.

Axver said:

And sometimes they breed to plague proportions and need to be culled.

Apparently their mince is really good. I haven't tried it yet, but I will next time I make Bolognese sauce.

I've somehow not tried kangaroo yet. I've heard that it's excellent though.

phillyfan26 said:

I like the part where he tries to be clever using the word "hung."

I'll give him points for being more clever than Hi Hung Li at least.

major_panic said:

I've somehow not tried kangaroo yet. I've heard that it's excellent though.

I'll let you know how it goes with my Bolognese sauce. Should be pretty interesting.

Also, one big point in kangaroo mince's favour is that it is much, much cheaper than beef mince.

Axver said:

The burning question is: do you have a cousin called Hi Hung Li?

Yeah, all the Asian jokes are coming out tonight.

No, but I have a cousin called Sum Ting Wong. :wink:

That reminds me, my dad was telling us stories of his uni days back in England in the late 70s and 80s, apparently nobody messed with him, or any Asian guys ever. Why? Bruce Lee had just broken out on cinema screens everywhere, and everyone subsequently thought all Asians were like Bruce Lee.

phillyfan26 said:
Larry on the Zoo TV Era: "My job didn't change."

"It's all about the droooms."

I find it funny how Larry fired the radio DJ or whatever they had doing stuff before the concerts. BP Fallon, I think it was?

major_panic said:

No, but I have a cousin called Sum Ting Wong. :wink:

That reminds me, my dad was telling us stories of his uni days back in England in the late 70s and 80s, apparently nobody messed with him, or any Asian guys ever. Why? Bruce Lee had just broken out on cinema screens everywhere, and everyone subsequently thought all Asians were like Bruce Lee.

:lol:

And my maternal grandmother's maiden name is Cockburn.

THAT'S "CO-BURN", PEOPLE.

phillyfan26 said:

EDGE: Steve [Lillywhite] brought his wife Kirsty MacColl over, and it was Kirsty who came up with the running order for the record. We were all working flat out trying to finish mixes, Kirsty said, "Give me something to do, for fuck's sake, I'll work on a running order." It has to be said, Kirsty was not a massive U2 fan. We told her to put "Streets" first and "Mothers" last but that was all the guidance we gave her. So she starts listening to the other songs and she was saying, "OK, that's good, like that one, put that second. Mmmm, not sure about that one ... Yeah, I like that ... Really like this one." When she finished listening, she wrote out a sequence in about ten minutes, based purely on putting the songs in order of her favourites. We thought this was funny but when we listened to it, it really did sound like a great sequence, so we went with it.

No shit? I didn't know Kirsty was married to Steve. I was so sad when I heard she died. I really love "In these shoes." I liked her music.

Here's a set with some EPIC PHAIL.

1987-06-03, Birmingham

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
9. In God's Country
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Maggie's Farm / Cold Turkey (snippet) / School's Out (snippet)
12. People Get Ready
13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

14. Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
15. October
16. New Year's Day
17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
18. With Or Without You
19. 40

Three covers in a gig is one thing, but THREE COVERS IN A ROW?! Come on guys!

Axver said:

And my maternal grandmother's maiden name is Cockburn.

THAT'S "CO-BURN", PEOPLE.

I always felt kinda bad for the guys at school whose surname was Wang. They got paid out soooo much.

Axver said:
Here's a set with some EPIC PHAIL.

1987-06-03, Birmingham

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
9. In God's Country
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Maggie's Farm / Cold Turkey (snippet) / School's Out (snippet)
12. People Get Ready
13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

14. Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
15. October
16. New Year's Day
17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
18. With Or Without You
19. 40

Three covers in a gig is one thing, but THREE COVERS IN A ROW?! Come on guys!

The funny thing is, Bono probably remembers the words to cover songs / snippets better than he does his own songs.

Hehe, I do remember him at Melb2 trying to snippet "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue, failing miserably and getting zero crowd response for some reason and giving the biggest "WHAAAT" look whilst shrugging and then laughing with Adam / Edge / Larry.

major_panic said:

I always felt kinda bad for the guys at school whose surname was Wang. They got paid out soooo much.

That's got to suck. We had a Huang who was nicknamed Wanger, but he took it with pride.

He also gave the funniest speech ever in my English class.

Axver said:

That's got to suck. We had a Huang who was nicknamed Wanger, but he took it with pride.

He also gave the funniest speech ever in my English class.

There was one guy called Chen Wang who got paid out a huge amount. Any time he did anything silly, someone would always just go "hehehe... Wang" and everyone'd just burst out laughing.

My year had something like 12 people with the surname Nguyen :|

major_panic said:

The funny thing is, Bono probably remembers the words to cover songs / snippets better than he does his own songs.

Hehe, I do remember him at Melb2 trying to snippet "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue, failing miserably and getting zero crowd response for some reason and giving the biggest "WHAAAT" look whilst shrugging and then laughing with Adam / Edge / Larry.

Oh, he's fucked up the lyrics to covers before. "Nooo" you say. From Southern Man's debut on 16 February 1982:

Comments: Before the concert, Bono hears Neil Young's Southern Man on the radio and likes it enough that he encourages the band not only to soundcheck it, but to actually perform it that very night. The band goes along with Bono, and because he knows few of the song's lyrics, Bono pulls a fan on stage to help him out during the concert.

And oh non-existent God, Bono's attempts to snippet Spinning Around were laughable. Kylie Minogue, incidentally, must be Phail Collins' wife.

phillyfan26 said:
Now, the Frank Sinatra story is funny.

Summary: Bono and Sinatra record a duet of "I've Got You Under My Skin." They ask Bono and Sinatra to do a video. Edge shows up since he's in LA at the time. As Edge puts it, "It was obvious that Frank was starting to suffer from some kind of lapses of his full grasp of reality." The director tells Bono to wait outside and leaves Frank standing at the bar waiting for Bono. Frank "starts to get agitated" and begins yelling at the director to get him out of the room and asks why he's there. They tell him he's shooitng a video with Bono. Frank yells, "Sonny Bono? Why am I making a video with him for?" He calls Bono later to apologize, saying, "I don't like to do a lot of takes. I get uncomfortable when I'm just hanging around."

major_panic said:

There was one guy called Chen Wang who got paid out a huge amount. Any time he did anything silly, someone would always just go "hehehe... Wang" and everyone'd just burst out laughing.

My year had something like 12 people with the surname Nguyen :|

He must be scarred for life.

And let me guess, none of the non-Asian students actually ever figured out how to pronounce Nguyen?

Adam describes drinking before the Sydney shows:

All I can say is I remember the night before thinking, "Mmm, it might be nice to have a glass of wine." The next thing I remember it was about 7:00 in the evening of the next day and people were trying to wake me up and see if I could go down and do the gig. I don't really know what happened in the intervening time, other than that I'd been out for a bit and I'd gone through the mini bar in the room.

phillyfan26 said:

Summary: Bono and Sinatra record a duet of "I've Got You Under My Skin." They ask Bono and Sinatra to do a video. Edge shows up since he's in LA at the time. As Edge puts it, "It was obvious that Frank was starting to suffer from some kind of lapses of his full grasp of reality." The director tells Bono to wait outside and leaves Frank standing at the bar waiting for Bono. Frank "starts to get agitated" and begins yelling at the director to get him out of the room and asks why he's there. They tell him he's shooitng a video with Bono. Frank yells, "Sonny Bono? Why am I making a video with him for?" He calls Bono later to apologize, saying, "I don't like to do a lot of takes. I get uncomfortable when I'm just hanging around."

BONO = OWNED!

Incidentally, do you have a copy of that duet? I've always thought it was one of his better duets (Bono's).

While in Tokyo for the Zoo TV Tour, Bono fell asleep in the house of a Yakuza, and woke up the next morning with a snake tied around him. The snake took a piss on him.

Axver said:

He must be scarred for life.

And let me guess, none of the non-Asian students actually ever figured out how to pronounce Nguyen?

Actually, given that the population mix was something like 30% Australian, 25% Indian, 30% Asian and 15% Miscellaneous, everyone could pronounce almost everyone's surnames, with the obvious exception of some of the Indian ones.

There was one white teacher I had who was better at pronouncing Asian surnames (like Ng) than most of the Asian students. Now that was weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom