Buy Less Crap - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Buy Less Crap

This is a campaign sort of against the (RED) campaign, because they say "Buy less. Give more."

http://www.buylesscrap.org/

In theory of course everyone needs to do that, but the RED project (correct me if I'm wrong) is about creating economies and reasons for people to be making products. It's like the old saying "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."

In my opinion, the world would be ideal if everyone gave to charity, but it's not an ideal world and more people are going to give to a cause if it benefits them in some way. Call it selfish. Whatever. If there is something truly desirable that benefits as well, why not buy it and support looking great and being socially conscious? Charity is special and great and there should be more, but using a concept of "creating" is just as great when it gives people a chance to form their own sort of economy.

Granted, not enough money from the proceeds to these things go toward the actual cause, but in the long run, people, especially the average Joe in the US, is going to buy something that he can use and wear to benefit something rather than giving actual money straight to the fund. Also, it gives a chance to promote the cause...by endorsing it through the products we buy. We are a society *in the US* of consumers, and whether or not that's right or moral, it's just the way things are at this point. Using that consumer attitude to make a difference is the key issue... for me, in the RED campaign.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 PM
i'll surprise you sometime
i'll come around

oh
i'll come around

i'll give you a 20, crisp and green
you can keep the good intentions
with the left over change

saving economies
doing what's right

ha

a big picture?

global thinking is a state of mind

it's never reality

much like you alluded

but nevertheless
i'm not clicking on any more links

cute photo though.

i'd so date you if only i weren't 450 pounds.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

More lady to love
plus
you can be sure there'll always be cookies at her place
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
New Yorker

?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

cute photo though.

Like I wouldn't catch you cheating!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Like I wouldn't catch you cheating!
pfft

i went to school for this sort of thing
i promise you'd NEVER catch me.

feel better?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

feel better?
Only marginally.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
Acrobat

but if I just give money instead of buying a shirt i can proudly wear, how will everyone know im such an amazing human being?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i'll come around

oh
i'll come around
when you're down...

that was the only meaningful thing posted in this thread.

a campaign that says nothing more than "give to charity and quit buying stuff" is retarded. They're not informing about any cause, just trying to make people feel guilty.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~
I you!!!!

you always do me proud.

I agree though people do need to stop buying crap. Its sick to go into a walmart at anytime of the day and see carts overloaded with cheap plastic disposable garbage.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Buy Less Crap

I think the difference is that the RED campaign is trying to bring more business to Africa, sustainable business, not just charity. Charity work and mission work hasn't helped Africa at all. Maybe in some isolated locales, but in general, Africa is worse off now than it was a few decades ago. Money means nothing when there's nothing to buy. People need jobs and a more stable economy, not hand-outs. Charity, aid, and mission work have their places and benefits, but on a larger scale I don't think any of those can make a significant dent in this issue.

I do think that Bono and co. are still a bit naive and have some kinks to work out, but a start is a start so I'm not going to knock them for at least trying something. I do think there are aspects of RED that are hypocritical and there needs to be more transparency, but again, I'll err on the side of optimism and hope that their concept will mature for the better.

Yes, I'd rather buy RED products than give money blindly. Actually, I prefer initiatives like Heifer Int'l or the CRWRC Gift Catalog where instead of donating money, you are buying something specific that has an economic value and the potential to generate more returns than just handing over $25. You buy someone a milk cow or a bicycle. I like those types of initiatives.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I am not sure if anyone looked at the list of charities, but one of the key organizations listed is the Global AIDS fund, the beneficiary of the (RED) campaign.

I think the point of this "Buy Less Crap" is a good one. Some who buy the (RED) shirts are buying them for the cool factor and are blindly giving without investigating the charity or the issues involved (i.e. Bono thinks this is a good thing and so do I).

"Buy Less Crap" encourages responsible giving -- forcing you to do a little homework and find organziations that both meet your needs and interests and are making a real difference in those areas you are interested in.

There was a news article a while ago that showed the percentage of profits from (RED) products that actually went to the charity was pretty low. I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
I am not sure if anyone looked at the list of charities, but one of the key organizations listed is the Global AIDS fund, the beneficiary of the (RED) campaign.

I think the point of this "Buy Less Crap" is a good one. Some who buy the (RED) shirts are buying them for the cool factor and are blindly giving without investigating the charity or the issues involved (i.e. Bono thinks this is a good thing and so do I).

"Buy Less Crap" encourages responsible giving -- forcing you to do a little homework and find organziations that both meet your needs and interests and are making a real difference in those areas you are interested in.
I agree, but at the same time, I think that if we continue to single out Africa and single out charities and aid and bla bla bla...it just feeds back into the "us and them" attitude. I wish that America had a better global perspective in general. Sure, it's great to buy RED stuff at Gap for the reason that part of it goes to aid, but is that at all realistic? What about going to the grocery store? Putting gas in the tank? Paying utility bills? IMO, money is money and an economy is an economy. Lets forget all the emotional baggage for a second and just look at it in terms of promoting economic development. It really doesn't matter what our motivations are. Africa needs more developed economies, period. For me, it's beyond the point of whether people do it for the coolness factor or actually care. I'm the first to admit that I never think twice about where my cereal comes from, where my toothpaste comes from, where my home cleaning products are coming from. I guess it's almost like if we're always trying to point out "Africa", we're just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that Africa is somehow lesser than everywhere else and therefore needs our help all the time. They need business, they need jobs, they need economic development. I don't think people there really much care whether the person buying the shirt is doing it based on altruistic motives or just wants to be part of the fad. Are we really doing it for them, or because it makes us feel better? I know I'm often guilty of the latter. I don't mean to single out your post, I'm just spouting off the top of my head, probably not making sense....

Quote:
There was a news article a while ago that showed the percentage of profits from (RED) products that actually went to the charity was pretty low. I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.
The problem I have with some charities is that a lot of donations go towards administrative costs, a lot more than we think. It's hard to find an org that is entirely transparent and will guarantee that your money is being used appropriately or will at least be honest about part of it going towards their own organizational development. I do think that the amount RED is giving is pretty crappy.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.
well obviously, but the point of RED i believe is for people to buy stuff they would have bought anyway (like a phone or an iPod) and have part of it go to charity. Ideally people would just donate to charity, but some people don't want to, or maybe dont have the cash...or there are probably many people who buy RED products and donate to charity. RED is not the ultimate solution, but I don't see how it's a bad thing