Bumpass, Virginia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

Yeah, there's no drama there anymore either...especially now that Diamond has been suspended from that section.

Even when he was still around though, it was tired and boring because most people couldn't be arsed, and those who could just ran in repetitive circles with him.

There's no stimulating, interesting, intelligent debate. The place is a waste of time. I don't even see a reason to try to get involved to improve things, given who's still hanging around there ...

ElMel, I listened to Parachutes last night and again this morning. It's OK, but Martin's falsetto is God awful and ruins a lot of it for me.

phillyfan26 said:
ElMel, I listened to Parachutes last night and again this morning. It's OK, but Martin's falsetto is God awful and ruins a lot of it for me.

I'm saying.

Actually, I really like Parachutes a lot, but those particular issues have destroyed Coldplay in many ways. They lost the plot completely after the second album.

I just think it's music really designed to have a strong vocalist, and he can't do that. I feel like if they had a good singer, the album would be very good.

I'm still going to give the second album a shot, though, the music was good enough to earn that.

I really like his vocals on Shiver. That's about it. The rest of the time he's just "there". I can't really name a song I dislike on Parachutes though.

LemonMelon said:
http://forum.interference.com/t186620.html

See, threads like this are why FYM has gone down the tubes. It's not so much the topic that's the trouble, but the heavy-handed comments. In any other section, we could at least make a few cracks about things like this, but there you would be attacked for it.

Certain people like their high horses.

And how about the latest abortion thread? Got to love how the well is poisoned by its very subject line. You can tell straight away that it's not going to host an intelligent, informed debate.

Why does Wikipedia have the title track listed at 0:46? The one I downloaded has an over 5 minute song called Parachutes.

phillyfan26 said:
Why does Wikipedia have the title track listed at 0:46? The one I downloaded has an over 5 minute song called Parachutes.

Hmm...it's definitely 0:46 on my copy.

The guy who assembled the collection put a song called "Parachute" by Guster on there instead of the actual track.

Funny, I liked that song because it had better vocals. I thought the vocalist was the guitarist or somebody.

Axver said:

Certain people like their high horses.

And how about the latest abortion thread? Got to love how the well is poisoned by its very subject line. You can tell straight away that it's not going to host an intelligent, informed debate.

Melon is one of the few that actually know their stuff in that section. Irvine is pretty sharp too, but he's so condescending that it's difficult to have a debate with the guy purely for fun.

phillyfan26 said:
The guy who assembled the collection put a song called "Parachute" by Guster on there instead of the actual track.

Funny, I liked that song because it had better vocals. I thought the vocalist was the guitarist or somebody.

:| :laugh: That's awesome.

Yolland, Melon, and Irvine are the only sane ones there. I'm shocked at their patience with the place.

I'm waiting a couple more months and then using the NSW strategy of dropping by once a month or so with a great post and leaving again.

phillyfan26 said:
ElMel, you see my message about Frusciante?

Yes sir, thank ya. I'll get on that tomorrow, since I'll be out of here for the rest of the day in a few hours.

A running diary with fresh Baileys is guaranteed.

The peak will always be Axver's review of LMP's DI4 list, but there have been some other good ones.

LemonMelon said:

Melon is one of the few that actually know their stuff in that section. Irvine is pretty sharp too, but he's so condescending that it's difficult to have a debate with the guy purely for fun.

melon and yolland are really the only two I take seriously. I've never been so keen on Irvine. He seems like a good guy, but yeah, the condescending tone he sometimes uses gets me. I feel it's hard to have a discussion with him if you disagree even a little.

Oh, I do love it whenever Earnie Shavers shows up, too. Shame we haven't had a good Australian politics thread for a while. And I wonder if anybody will show when I make a thread for the 2008 New Zealand election once its date is announced.

LemonMelon said:
The peak will always be Axver's review of LMP's DI4 list, but there have been some other good ones.

I don't think I was really that harsh or condescending. :shrug:

I mean, I know LMP took it that way and I feel bad about that. I've been more careful since. But by my standards of rubbishing music, I thought I was tame and in it more for the lulz than anything.

I love that Melon is a great Bible study, so he has the rare ability to correct the religious right on their cornerstone: the Bible. They usually quote that all the time in debate with liberals because most haven't read the whole thing through and don't really care what it says. Melon has studied it greatly and knows it much better than those who merely think they do, and that fucking owns everyone.

phillyfan26 said:
I love that Melon is a great Bible study, so he has the rare ability to correct the religious right on their cornerstone: the Bible. They usually quote that all the time in debate with liberals because most haven't read the whole thing through and don't really care what it says. Melon has studied it greatly and knows it much better than those who merely think they do, and that fucking owns everyone.

I can kind of see why melon keeps at it, too, as there is a bit of a thrill at owning the religious right at their own game. My stepbrother tried to convert me to Christianity last month after I told him I'm an atheist. The tone of the discussion rather changed when he revealed he hadn't even read all of the Gospels, let alone all of the New Testament or the whole Bible, while I've read the entire Bible twice and the New Testament nine times. Fun times. :laugh:

One day, I'd love to have even half the depth of knowledge of it as melon clearly does. Sure, I don't believe it and think most of it is borderline ridiculous, but the role it has played in history, society, and politics makes it a source of endless interest.

Also, yes, I did just say I'm an atheist. I think it's become increasingly apparent over the last couple of months that I'm a little more than just agnostic. I figure I better be honest with myself.

Axver said:

My stepbrother tried to convert me to Christianity last month after I told him I'm an atheist. The tone of the discussion rather changed when he revealed he hadn't even read all of the Gospels, let alone all of the New Testament or the whole Bible, while I've read the entire Bible twice and the New Testament nine times. Fun times. :laugh:

:lmao: That is epic fail. He meant well, but you really don't have to reveal information that pwns you like that. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I've read every book except a few in the OT. I've read the New Testament over and over.

I've never read the Bible. I've heard it read in church, that's it. I've no interest in it.

LemonMelon said:

:lmao: That is epic fail. He meant well, but you really don't have to reveal information that pwns you like that. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I've read every book except a few in the OT. I've read the New Testament over and over.

To be perfectly honest, you aren't really missing much when it comes to certain Old Testament books. I've read some Old Testament books repeatedly - to this day, I love Ecclesiastes (it has always been my favourite book, actually). But some of the random minor prophets don't add anything new or earth-shatteringly important. This is why I've only read the entire Old Testament twice.

I do hope everybody who actually believes Christianity has at least sat down and taken the time to read Genesis, Exodus, Proverbs, Job, Isaiah, and of course Ecclesiastes. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read Ecclesiastes.

And every fundie must read Song Of Solomon.

LemonMelon said:
I've read the New Testament over and over.

By the way, just curious: what translations? I'm a big fan of the Amplified version, simply for the different ways it gives you to read sentences and the depth of interpretation you can draw from that. My own copy of the Amplified version is falling to bits.

I must admit I'm jealous of the Maj., since he's learning the ancient Greek to read it in its original language. I've tried to teach myself a bit of ancient Greek, but that unfortunately hasn't gone anywhere yet ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom