Brilliant, Alabama Superthread - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:51 AM
DreamOutLoud, I can't remember the name of the medication I take. I know my medication doesn't work and I should say something but I want my family to think I'm okay. I don't want them worrying about me. It's not fair to them.

I hope your struggle continues to turn out well.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #617
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Basically all conceptualisations of the afterlife with which I am familiar rely in some way on the presence of a deity. How does the afterlife exist and function in the absence of a deity?
Am I going to have to write a book on the scientific possibilities of an afterlife? I'm shocked this hasn't been explored.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
DreamOutLoud, I can't remember the name of the medication I take. I know my medication doesn't work and I should say something but I want my family to think I'm okay. I don't want them worrying about me. It's not fair to them.
It's not fair to yourself to keep faking it and not have your problems addressed so you can have a more happy and fulfilling life. And your family loves you so, whatever worry this might cause them, it's even more unfair to them that for the sake of them, you are miserable. They wouldn't want that!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #619
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
Am I going to have to write a book on the scientific possibilities of an afterlife? I'm shocked this hasn't been explored.
The afterlife is a non-falsifiable claim, so I don't see what science has got to do with it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #620
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Put it this way Screwtape - it's much worse for the family to be suspecting but unable to do anything to help because you won't put yourself out there. Let me tell you.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #621
Vocal parasite

You know what disappoints me? Whenever theology comes up, it's always either LM or the Maj. around, but never both. It would be bloody interesting to have both of them and might provide some more balance to the discussion.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:

I hope your struggle continues to turn out well.
Can you describe what the pills look like?

And your family shouldn't have anything to do with your medication. It goes into YOUR body. Do you see your psychiatrist alone or with your parents present? You're old enough to be seeing your psychiatrist alone. At your next appointment, bring up your issues and request something different. Your family doesn't necessarily need to know about it, and it's illegal for your doctor to tell them about it. If they want to know why you're changing meds, just say the doctor thought it would be a good idea to try something different.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #623
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The afterlife is a non-falsifiable claim, so I don't see what science has got to do with it.
Science has everything to do with the afterlife. Science possibilities whether it be altered realities, levels of consciousness, space relative to time and so on makes an afterlife plausible because of the mere existence of those things.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #624
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:51 AM
By the way, am I the only person here that's not an athiest?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #625
The Male

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Because you cling to non-falsifiable claims, tradition, etc.

I say this as somebody who began to study theology because he wanted to confirm his religious beliefs and has come out an atheist.
Spiritual beliefs change for many reasons. I don't believe FACTS really have much to do with spiritual faith. At all. My faith has been strengthened by my personal experiences, while others have become discouraged because of them. I think that's mostly what it comes down to...you become biased and you find what you look for. Ultimately, I feel sorry for folks who just give up on any sort of spiritual life because evolution has a larger amount of material evidence than creationism. But maybe they just don't want to waste their time. It's an odd subject.

Now.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 AM   #626
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
elmel isn't
Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #627
Vocal parasite

Quote:
You aren't?

(I must admit, my default assumption is that people are atheists or agnostics or simply unconcerned with religion. Holds true here, i.e. "here" being where I live, not "here" being Interference.)

But see my reference to LM and the Maj. The Maj. actually studies theology and I think leads some stuff at his church.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #628
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Khan and ElMel, from memory
Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #629
The Male

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
elmel isn't
Let's see...who else...

I don't think Mia is atheist...I just don't think she really cares that much.

Pfan believes in an afterlife, not sure what faith he subscribes to though.

Now.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #630
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Can you describe what the pills look like?

And your family shouldn't have anything to do with your medication. It goes into YOUR body. Do you see your psychiatrist alone or with your parents present? You're old enough to be seeing your psychiatrist alone. At your next appointment, bring up your issues and request something different. Your family doesn't necessarily need to know about it, and it's illegal for your doctor to tell them about it. If they want to know why you're changing meds, just say the doctor thought it would be a good idea to try something different.

I found one of the bottles. It is Fluoxetine.

My mom usually comes along but I can her to leave the room. I know I should tell my shrink all this but I just want to accept it and move on. I don't want them to...I don't know. I just want to move on.

Tags
superthread