Boot, Surprise, Arizona Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gump, how are things? :wave:

You heard Get On Your Boots yet?

I wish this 1105 character would speak up and say hello, we really don't bite...

Looks like 1105 hasn't refreshed the thread in almost an hour. And once they're inactive for an hour, they'll fall off the "who's online?" thing.

I looked at their past posts, and I see they posted some early U2 bootlegs a few years ago. Always a cool thing in my books.

And damnit, we need to co-ordinate our attack for Survivor. At this rate it'll just be the same results as the other bracket.

I'm concerned about that too. Though RAH, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB are certainly locked in a close battle right now.

At the moment, my vote for ATYCLB is non-negotiable. Once it's gone, then I'll be going after HTDAAB and Achtung. Might reconsider Achtung votes if strategic votes will help eliminate other dodgy albums or protect good ones, since my Achtung vote obviously will be pretty much a waste on this forum.

That's why modern art annoys me.

It's not all bad. The Surrealists would be mad for those works, they thought that children were the greatest artists, uncorrupted by other influences.

You've got to have a good grasp on abstract art, though. The majority of it really is just pretentious. Actually, the kid's work is probably in the upper half of abstract art I've seen, since it isn't pretentious.

Hey gump, how are things? :wave:

You heard Get On Your Boots yet?

Hi there Ax,
I woke up 30 min ago and just heard it. Can't make make my mind what I think of it. I like it so far, nice change from the previous two albums. But NLOTH always sounded like a contemplative album title and I guess I expected songs in that line, which GOYB isn't. But there are still plenty of songs out there so I'm hopeful I'll get some more ambience.

That said, I like it so far. Just need a few more spins.

Oh, I agree, it's not all bad. Some artists put actual thought and vision and talent into it.

But then there are hacks who draw a squiggly line across a piece of paper, call it a masterpiece, and sell it for thousands.

That annoys me.

...and makes me wanna sell the doodles in the margins of my notebook for millions.

It's not all bad. The Surrealists would be mad for those works, they thought that children were the greatest artists, uncorrupted by other influences.

You've got to have a good grasp on abstract art, though. The majority of it really is just pretentious. Actually, the kid's work is probably in the upper half of abstract art I've seen, since it isn't pretentious.

Modern art is good when it's groundbreaking. I just tend to think that most artists out there are really repetitive. But some of the works from the early 20th century are just amazing.

And I liked the kid's work as well.

Hi there Ax,
I woke up 30 min ago and just heard it. Can't make make my mind what I think of it. I like it so far, nice change from the previous two albums. But NLOTH always sounded like a contemplative album title and I guess I expected songs in that line, which GOYB isn't. But there are still plenty of songs out there so I'm hopeful I'll get some more ambience.

That said, I like it so far. Just need a few more spins.

Keep in mind that Pride was the lead single for UF - so I'm not too worried about ambience just yet. I'd love some of that sort of stuff too, but didn't have much expectation we'd get any from the lead single. What I do find encouraging are the layers and new sonic choices for U2 in GOYB, which I'm quietly hoping will bode well for the development of interesting atmospheres on other tracks.

Modern art is good when it's groundbreaking. I just tend to think that most artists out there are really repetitive. But some of the works from the early 20th century are just amazing.

I'd say this applies to every medium. I'm always really excited to find a band that either breaks new ground or that takes established conventions, masters them, and releases something definitive of the style. But I find that level of originality is pretty rare indeed.

(I'd put eighties U2 in the latter category. They didn't invent atmospheric rock by a long shot, but UF absolutely nailed the style and set the benchmark for other bands. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people think setting the benchmark = "we've got to mimic them!")

Keep in mind that Pride was the lead single for UF - so I'm not too worried about ambience just yet. I'd love some of that sort of stuff too, but didn't have much expectation we'd get any from the lead single. What I do find encouraging are the layers and new sonic choices for U2 in GOYB, which I'm quietly hoping will bode well for the development of interesting atmospheres on other tracks.

That's a good point. I appreciated the layers in the song - I couldn't discern all the details, though - I'm visiting my parents and they don't have great headphones. I'll give it a listen in my dad's stereo later on and try again.

It seems that there are a lot of interesting sounds hidden in the song, which is great for a change. Makes you want to listen more to discover the song, a feeling that I didn't really have in the past couple of albums.

ice is all he was made of
the bitter blue has thawn through
he went over back to the mound
reclining down his thoughts had drifted to a time his life had shined

and it's time time time for the last rewind
a broken old man and a world unkind
he buried all his memories of home
in an icy cloak that lies beneath the ground

Question.

I know people of course got overly excited when Vertigo leaked/was released. But what were was the response to HTDAAB as a whole on here? Were people so excited that they just praised and praised it without realizing how sucky it actually was, or did some people straightaway point out its flaws?

I'd say this applies to every medium. I'm always really excited to find a band that either breaks new ground or that takes established conventions, masters them, and releases something definitive of the style. But I find that level of originality is pretty rare indeed.

(I'd put eighties U2 in the latter category. They didn't invent atmospheric rock by a long shot, but UF absolutely nailed the style and set the benchmark for other bands. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people think setting the benchmark = "we've got to mimic them!")

Yep, I agree - true for any form of art. And it seems to be getting even rarer with time. I'm not by any account an art expert, but I can't name too many paintings from the past few decades that I would describe as truly groundbreaking. Popular music can still be somewhat more surprising, since it's newer, but I also find it difficult to be truly surprised (maybe I should get into other music genres).

Absolutely. My main concern as an artist is the idea that everything's already been done - I mean in audio and visual terms. Has it? Since art is so universal, people often repeat things without knowing they've been done before.

The early 20th century was one of the richest times for art. Reminds me, I want to order a Franz Marc print for my room...

ice is all he was made of
the bitter blue has thawn through
he went over back to the mound
reclining down his thoughts had drifted to a time his life had shined

and it's time time time for the last rewind
a broken old man and a world unkind
he buried all his memories of home
in an icy cloak that lies beneath the ground
Well, that's an improvement.

But some of the stuff you listen to worries me :lol: I'm beginning to think that perhaps you and I are not compatible at all. Pity. My hair's red now :wink:

That's a good point. I appreciated the layers in the song - I couldn't discern all the details, though - I'm visiting my parents and they don't have great headphones. I'll give it a listen in my dad's stereo later on and try again.

It seems that there are a lot of interesting sounds hidden in the song, which is great for a change. Makes you want to listen more to discover the song, a feeling that I didn't really have in the past couple of albums.

Yes, this is a great point. No matter how many times you revisit a track like Vertigo or SYCMIOYO, they don't offer up much more. They don't reward repeated listens, so if you don't like them, odds are they're not going to change much in your estimation, and there isn't much to hold onto those who are initially into them. However, I found myself returning to GOYB multiple times simply because I was thinking that I hadn't fully encountered everything going on. Unfortunately, one of the things I only paid attention to on a later listen is one of the song's features I like the least (Bono's croak around 2:22), but you've got to take the good with the bad.

Question.

I know people of course got overly excited when Vertigo leaked/was released. But what were was the response to HTDAAB as a whole on here? Were people so excited that they just praised and praised it without realizing how sucky it actually was, or did some people straightaway point out its flaws?

I wasn't around at the time of HTDAAB's release, but my recollection is that there was a lot of praise for the album in U2 circles. I'm not sure if that was mob mentality or whether HTDAAB is the type of album that is good for a few listens but gets boring afterwards.

Absolutely. My main concern as an artist is the idea that everything's already been done - I mean in audio and visual terms. Has it? Since art is so universal, people often repeat things without knowing they've been done before.
This goes for writing as well. Especially in certain genres. I once read a quote saying that in science fiction especially, authors feed off of one another's ideas. I often get frustrated when I write, because I'll stop and look at my plot and think "This is like that one book that I read 3 years ago." and I get discouraged and think that I shouldn't even bother finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom