Bloody Sunday (movie) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2002, 02:28 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Bloody Sunday (movie)

Has anybody seen this recent movie? It was just released to limited theaters here, and I was thinking about trying to find one around Chicago. I guess its been out in Europe for some time, and I was wondering if it was any good. Obviously some of my interest in this comes from the song, but it is an infamous event in the struggle between the Northern Irish and the English. Is the movie worth watching?

Old 10-09-2002, 03:36 AM   #2
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 06:49 AM
i havent seen it yet however, i have been told it is definately worth watching. it is apparently very one-sided (towards the irish point of view) which could have differing effects on you depending on what side of the story your believe. its also done in kinda a doco type style to make it seem more realistic.

i cant wait to see it.

Old 10-09-2002, 04:44 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 09:49 PM
Normal

Yes, I have seen it, not in its entirety, but Ive seen it.....it was televised here few months before release........

Jimmy Nesbitt plays the character well.....

It still is a controversial film.......but not to an outsider...much.....

the problem with dramas is how it portrays one side and the other.......exaggeration and the sort.........
Old 10-09-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:49 PM

I saw it last week. I thinks its a very considered representation of events, and as far as the actual march/massacre itself its exceptional. However, the constant use of handheld cameras can be a little on the jarring side, especially prior to and after the film's climax (Some have dubbed it 'bumpy cam' and you will soon see why). Some say its got a heavy Nationalistic bias, but I think it was reasonable in showing a little bit on both sides, with some airing given to the IRA cynics on one side and also including a couple Brits who are less than enthusiastic about using 'maximum force' on the other.

The protrayals of the ground level paras themselves are quite realistic in my view, given any situation of that nature it is quite likely that soldiers, having been placed in the situation by their superiors, reacted just as crazily and savagely as portrayed. The one concrete fact we have from history is that 13 unarmed people were killed, and they were sure as hell not all killed by stray bullets aimed at IRA gunmen.

If you have any interest in Ireland and the troubles, go see it.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:43 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:49 PM

I've read good reviews about the movie and am waiting for it to be shown here in DC. I know it was supposed to be released here this month.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig
However, the constant use of handheld cameras can be a little on the jarring side, especially prior to and after the film's climax (Some have dubbed it 'bumpy cam' and you will soon see why).
Is it filmed in a similar style to a lot of the action scenes in Saving Private Ryan? Those were real jerky, but seemed to portray the feeling that you were really in the chaos. If Bloody Sunday is similar, I'd be really interested.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

i can't find it playing anywhere near chicago at the moment, but i'll let you know if i do. i'd like to see it too.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:56 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Bumpy-cam makes it look more real!

at least it doesnt look like a fuking film!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:21 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i can't find it playing anywhere near chicago at the moment, but i'll let you know if i do. i'd like to see it too.
It doesn't open in Chicago till the 25th. These are the theaters it will be playing at according to the website:

Chicago, IL: Pipers Alley
Evanston, IL: Cine Arts
Highland Park,IL: Renaissance

It looks like the openings are staggered across the country. I'd like to see it when it comes out.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

thanks.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:39 AM   #11
Refugee

Any other opinions? Looks like its getting some great reviews overall. I doubt it will be playing in Champaign, IL, but I'm hoping to see it when I go home for Thanksgiving break.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:43 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Giant Lemon

It doesn't open in Chicago till the 25th. These are the theaters it will be playing at according to the website:

Chicago, IL: Pipers Alley
Evanston, IL: Cine Arts
Highland Park,IL: Renaissance

It looks like the openings are staggered across the country. I'd like to see it when it comes out.
Bah, why can't it be playing out in the west suburbs? At least Schaumburg or Naperville or something like that.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:52 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

And to all outsiders of NI keen to watch this film ( I can understand why), just remember, life in Belfast is not gettin better as far as troubles are concerned, just the past two nights it was very very very bad in Short Strand.......everything is breaking apart over here and spiralling out of control.....so please dont say it will get better.......now we are all just waitin for the cease-fires to break......although that may not happen.....there are other things going on.

........I see it everyday.

thank u..........
Old 10-11-2002, 10:01 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

you're in my thoughts maddie.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:30 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh no, please, I didn't mean it like I want sympathy and to be thought of, even though it may come across that way.... I just wanted pple outside to know that it is falling apart here and I am scared............................Im sorry .................

There are countries worse off than here.....like I said, I heard 5 shots the other night.......some countries have them firing at each other 50 a minute.......

so Im not complainin...but its still scary.........