Bill, Wyo. Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

I nearly killed myself trying to look at a plane while i was driving this morning

and i own an aviation airband scanner and some of my most listened to things in iTunes are live air traffic control feeds :reject:

:lol: I really need to get a scanner to pick up the railway frequencies.

I've got ... shit, ~100 photos to import from this morning's brief photography session. I only walked from William Street to the Telstra Dome! That's two blocks, plus a bridge over the railway.

Varitek said:
Ian and Ax, you two are so cute with your transportation-vehicle obsessions.

To that, i respond with one of my photos.

200410-TelstraStadium_ext.jpg

coolian2 said:

You, my friend, are made of SuperWin.

It's only the Telstra Dome, so nothing really exciting, but I figured that since I was down there, I'd take a few shots. Tried to get the trams with the stadium a few times. Just importing everything to my computer now, so hopefully at least some of the shots are worth uploading and posting.

And i was planning on taking my camera down to Britomart sometime too, lol.

:up: :hyper:

Varitek said:
Ian and Ax, you two are so cute with your transportation-vehicle obsessions.

Well, that's why we're your husbands, right? ... right? :uhoh:

Also, Westpac = awesome.

I just got signed up to seemingly everything with them, except for the dangerous credit card and overdraft (which i couldn't get until i have a job anyway)

Internets and phone banking, two savings accounts and a debit card. And no money!

Axver said:

It's only the Telstra Dome, so nothing really exciting, but I figured that since I was down there, I'd take a few shots. Tried to get the trams with the stadium a few times. Just importing everything to my computer now, so hopefully at least some of the shots are worth uploading and posting.

It's not even a dome, ffs.

Hopefully in either my two hour break on Monday or Tuesday i'll wander down for a look around.

coolian2 said:

It's not even a dome, ffs.

Hopefully in either my two hour break on Monday or Tuesday i'll wander down for a look around.

Didn't you hear? Any stadium with a roof is a dome! :happy:

Personally, I hate all these sponsorship names. Docklands Stadium >>>>>>>> Telstra Dome.

It's like that in America too. The ones without sponsor names are always better.

Philadelphia has ... Lincoln Financial Field (nicknamed "The Linc"), Citizens Bank Park (four years and no nickname), Wachovia Center (no nickname), and The Spectrum. Which one do you think wins?

By the way, guys, the next Superthread will be the Blue Balls Superthread, celebrating both Blue Ball, Pennsylvania's: the one in Cleafield Co. and the one in Lancaster Co.

Pennsylvania also has towns called Intercourse, Virginville, and, my personal favorite, Bird-in-Hand.

But yes, both Blue Ball's deserve to be celebrated, so the next will be the Blue Balls Superthread.

phillyfan26 said:
By the way, guys, the next Superthread will be the Blue Balls Superthread, celebrating both Blue Ball, Pennsylvania's: the one in Cleafield Co. and the one in Lancaster Co.

Pennsylvania also has towns called Intercourse, Virginville, and, my personal favorite, Bird-in-Hand.

But yes, both Blue Ball's deserve to be celebrated, so the next will be the Blue Balls Superthread.

:lmao:

All of those are classic.

There's a Bumberry in New South Wales that I want to use for a thread.

phillyfan26 said:
It's like that in America too. The ones without sponsor names are always better.

Philadelphia has ... Lincoln Financial Field (nicknamed "The Linc"), Citizens Bank Park (four years and no nickname), Wachovia Center (no nickname), and The Spectrum. Which one do you think wins?

Oh, Lincoln Financial Field is totally the winner there. :wink:

I hate what's happened in Christchurch. The main stadium was Lancaster Park, then it got renamed Jade Stadium for some computer company, and is now AMI Stadium. Lame.

Wellington's Westpac Stadium is so new that it has always had the same sponsorship name. So we call it the Cake Tin instead.

It used to be just Veterans Stadium (aka The Vet) and The Spectrum. Those were good times.

I would love to know what corporate sponsorship of a stadium achieves anyway. Clearly it must do well, given the huge amounts spent on naming rights, but I can't say I've ever thought "hey, yeah, I WILL get a Telstra mobile phone plan" due to the Telstra Dome. And I have grave concerns about the intellect of anybody who's basing their purchases solely on who sponsors their local stadium!

phillyfan26 said:
Infomercials apparently work, so I give up on trying to figure it out.

:lol:

You could probably do an infomercial stating "this product is bullshit and it won't work" and some idiot will still buy it.

I'm in love with Ericsson Stadium being Mt Smart Stadium.

Stadiums built with naming rights i'll call by their locations, eg instead of Skilled Park on the Gold Coast i'm going to call it the Robina Stadium.

Axver said:
I would love to know what corporate sponsorship of a stadium achieves anyway. Clearly it must do well, given the huge amounts spent on naming rights, but I can't say I've ever thought "hey, yeah, I WILL get a Telstra mobile phone plan" due to the Telstra Dome. And I have grave concerns about the intellect of anybody who's basing their purchases solely on who sponsors their local stadium!

Good point, and furthermore, advertising hoardings in stadiums - seriously, am i more likely to fly Emirates because i saw their sign at the Gabba?

Mind you, so long as someone is willing to pay for it to keep teams and stadiums afloat, you won't hear me complain (too much)

coolian2 said:
I'm in love with Ericsson Stadium being Mt Smart Stadium.

Stadiums built with naming rights i'll call by their locations, eg instead of Skilled Park on the Gold Coast i'm going to call it the Robina Stadium.

I hated the name Ericsson Stadium. Mt Smart Stadium, however, is a great name. Probably the best in Auckland. Eden Park feels almost pretentious.

Skilled Park? That's just stupid. I'll be calling it Robina Stadium too. Or just "the new stadium", since I used to live there and my family still does, and that's what we've been calling it.

What do you call the Cake Tin?

Also, I swear, if the Basin Reserve becomes the Fuckingwankers Inc. Reserve, there will be hell to pay.

I'm really excited for the desert island game. I don't think it existed when I was previously on interference!

coolian2 said:

Good point, and furthermore, advertising hoardings in stadiums - seriously, am i more likely to fly Emirates because i saw their sign at the Gabba?

Mind you, so long as someone is willing to pay for it to keep teams and stadiums afloat, you won't hear me complain (too much)

:lol: Yeah, the advertising in stadiums is just ridiculous too. I can appreciate having signs like "drink drive, bloody idiot" - those sorts of things should be plastered everywhere. But I'm not going to shop at Dick Smith just because I saw the place advertised, and some don't even make sense! I noticed in the just-finished tri-series, some company had bought shitloads of advertising and just used their acronym. I still have no idea who they are or what they do!

But fuck, there must be something in it, since New Zealand even lost co-hosting the 2003 Rugby World Cup over it. And yeah, if it's keeping the place going, I'll put up with it. Not happily, but it's not the biggest deal.

Axver said:

I hated the name Ericsson Stadium. Mt Smart Stadium, however, is a great name. Probably the best in Auckland. Eden Park feels almost pretentious.

Skilled Park? That's just stupid. I'll be calling it Robina Stadium too. Or just "the new stadium", since I used to live there and my family still does, and that's what we've been calling it.

What do you call the Cake Tin?

Also, I swear, if the Basin Reserve becomes the Fuckingwankers Inc. Reserve, there will be hell to pay.

I love Mt Smart - how's that for a sense of history. Although another good year for the Warriors and some dick will jump on board and we'll have the GFY Bank Stadium.

I call it the Cake Tin (i hear pretentious Wellingtonians take exception to that though).

I can't, offhand, think of a worse name than Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith. Fuck. Off.

Also, you'd best get your hell ready to pay. Prime Finance Basin Reserve. Here's a thought, go fuck yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom