Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

I don't know Nowhere By Ride.

My favorite shoegazer album is Pet Grief by The Radio Dept. Not spectacular but a fun listening experience.

Wow, really? You need to hear it. Vapour Trail is simply one of the best written songs in the entire genre, and Seagull is my favourite shoegazer song ever. I wish I could have seen them live, as they apparently closed with Seagull and rocked the fuck out of the wall of distortion at the end.

And I haven't heard of that band, let alone the album ...

screwtape, let me know if you listen to that stuff what you think of it. i added a text file with about a page of description.

wow i like radio dept so far. i'm totally add with music right now, i've got so much new stuff it's overwhelming. i'm just making a list of artists to listen to this summer with some attention.

Time to discover some new music. I've so much stuff on my computer I haven't played, it's insane.

Screwtape2 said:
So Axver I take it that you aren't a fan of the art rock subgenre of prog?

Depends what you mean. I call Split Enz art rock and I love them.

OK, who the hell calls a metal/post-hardcore band Beloved? I mean, seriously, what a lame name.

The music's probably lame too and I wouldn't even bother checking this out if it weren't for a guy whose tastes I respect praising it as one of the ultimate albums.

Screwtape2 said:

Anyone else in the genre?

Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.

Axver said:

Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.

I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.

Screwtape2 said:

I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.

So who do you consider art rock?

Screwtape2 said:

I'd consider Split Enz art rock. Genesis, Focus, Renaissance, Jethro Tull and artists like them.

I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.

Hey Bonnie!

I was listening to some Mezcal Head earlier. Duel, Blowin' Cool, and You Find It Everywhere are fucking great songs.

Hey Ax. :wave:

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.

Axver said:

I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.

I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.

The Sad Punk said:
Hey Ax. :wave:

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.

Yeah, the consistency is rather impressive. They absolutely nail their style. Girl On A Motorbike and MM Adbuction are two others that have stood out to me at this stage.

I've been thinking I need to download Ride's second album. I know they went totally to shit by the end of their career, but I've heard the second album is still good.

Screwtape2 said:

I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.

Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.

Hey, Screwtape, would you have a problem if I did two CDs for the exchange? Before you say no, hear out my idea.

I already have one CD on the go. Accessible stuff and whatnot. Most people here don't give a shit about metal, so I've left it out. But I've thought of maybe doing a metal disc as well, for those people who would perhaps like to get into it, or who do enjoy the genre and want to find something new.

If I did a metal disc, I think I'd introduce people to Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Cynic, and Agalloch.

Axver said:

Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.

I disagree. I think art rock is a clear genre of outside influences in something that isn't quite the rock in prog rock.

Lamb Lies Down is a fantastic album. It brought tons of people who weren't into prog rock into the genre. I don't think it is pretentious at all. The story might be wild but that is what is great about prog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom