Best Pianist In Rock and Roll?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris Martin doesn't belong on the list. It's all basic chords. Same with Edge. Basic stuff - but good sounding basic stuff.

I'll just make mine a top 5 (in no particular order):

Tori Amos
Ben Folds
Elton John
Billy Joel
Fiona Apple

I'll agree with the mentions of Ray Manzarek, Jools Holland, Tori Amos ("Spark"...man, she just massacres her piano on that song...), Bruce Hornsby, Elton John, and Billy Joel :up:.

How about Jerry Lee Lewis? My parents refer to him as the "Jimi Hendrix of piano" :p.

Little Richard was a pretty mean piano player, too.

Angela

stevie wonder, ray charles, jerry lee lewis, elton john are all great... i'd say manzarek but he technicaly didn't play the piano

but i'm gonna have to go with billy joel... summer highland falls, prelude/angry young man, etc. etc. might not have been the best technical player of all time, but the quality and quantity of his work on the piano has to put him at the top, for me at least.

as far as the current crop... chris martin, thom yorke... all fine... but i'll have to go with alicia keys as far as pure talent goes.

Matt Bellamy is a good choice too. If you heard "Butterflies & Hurricanes" you'd be hard pressed to disagree.

Diemen said:
Chris Martin doesn't belong on the list. It's all basic chords.

fair enough, but like it or not there's been a resurrgence in piano based rock since "clocks" and "the scientist" were huge hits.
I don't think there had been any for a long time before that.

AcrobatMan said:

Thom Yorke on piano..which song ??

Karma Police
Everything in its Right Place
Pyramid Song
You and Whose Army
Sit Down Stand Up
Sail to the Moon
We Suck Young Blood
Like Spinning Plates (live)

*listening to Billy Joel's "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant"

The interesting thing is that Joel has quite a few songs with little or no piano, but when he does play.... damn.

1. Billy Joel
2. Ray Charles
3. Jerry Lee Lewis
4. Elton John
5. Tori Amos

honorable mention: my homeboy Ben Folds

Elton John--I have seen him twice--once in the 70's and then about 5 years ago--he is the greatest! & don't laugh--Yanni. I went with my mother as a gift last year--that man is smokin' on the piano. His show was so much more than I expected (I was the youngest person there too.) He's pretty easy on the eyes.

Bono's Doll said:
Yanni. He's pretty easy on the eyes.

*pages zoomerang96 to the floor immediately*

I need a comment on this one.

Anybody who can play this...

Le-Key.jpg

Best of the 90s...

ep3606-hanson.jpg

001.jpg

I nominate the keyboardist in the UK 80's band Talk Talk. Don't know his name though.

financeguy said:
I nominate the keyboardist in the UK 80's band Talk Talk. Don't know his name though.

Talk Talk is one of the best bands ever. Have you heard the truly beautiful music they created after they decided not to be synthpop? holy crikey!

Ben Folds is my current favorite piano player. I don't think Chris Martin or many other current artists can come anywhere close to doing what Folds can do technically on the piano. "Ascent of Stan" and "Zak and Sara" are good examples.

Yay for people mentioning Roy Bittan - Backstreets and NYC Serenade are :drool:
I'm also glad people recognize the great piano playing of Tori, even if they're not huge fans of her music in general.

learn2kneel said:
Ben Folds is my current favorite piano player. I don't think Chris Martin or many other current artists can come anywhere close to doing what Folds can do technically on the piano. "Ascent of Stan" and "Zak and Sara" are good examples.

Even go back to some of the Ben Folds Five stuff

"Magic," "Army," "Narcolepsy," "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces," "Philosophy".... all amazing songs.

Roy Bittan is awesome. Ray Charles and Elton John are also up there in my opinion, and Chris Martin's songs are simple, but he's helping to reintroduce piano to rock, so I gotta give him props (and I'm a big Coldplay fan, so sue me...:wink: ).

Back
Top Bottom