Best cover songs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, man, how could I forget one of my favorites???

"Questioningly" - Jesse Malin

Thanks, Meggie.

"Wild Night" by john mellencamp. brings back fun childhood memories of singing it with my sister when she got back from her fresh. year at college.

anyone got an mp3 of it they'd like to share?

AFI-Halloween (Misfits)
Nirvana-Molly's Lips (Vaselines)
Foo Fighters-Life of Illusion (Joe Walsh)
Cake-I Will Survive

Last edited:
The Church did a whole CD of covers in 1999. Called A Box of Birds, it includes Hiroshima Mon Amour (Ultravox), The Endless Sea (Iggy Pop), Friction (Television), Silver Machine (Hawkwind), and Cortez the Killer (Neil Young). It even includes a song by The Monkees (The Porpoise Song)!

Apparently the band was listening to albums from Marty Willson-Piper's (MWP is one of their guitarists) huge collection (over 25,000 albums last time I heard...and that was a year or more ago), and decided to record some...so they did.

All in all and very cool album...I particularly love The Endless Sea, Friction, and Cortez the Killer.

Last edited:
Diemen said:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

You all (except you, beli) suck for not mentioning this one yet. :madspit:

too obvious. It shouldn't have to be mentioned.

Diemen said:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

You all (except you, beli) suck for not mentioning this one yet.

Oh, thank God someone did. And Q is nuts for putting artists like t.A.t.u. and Joss Stone (are you kidding me?!) onto that list and completely excluding Buckley.

Homerpalooza said:

Oh, thank God someone did. And Q is nuts for putting artists like t.A.t.u. and Joss Stone (are you kidding me?!) onto that list and completely excluding Buckley.

Hey now, I love that Joss Stone song...but I totally agree about t.A.t.u.

I'm embarrassed that I forgot about Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah"...and Q should be too.

Q lost all credibility with me about two years ago. Have they even done ONE issue in the past year that wasn't "50 Greatest" something or other?

I hate music magazines. :mad:

I love music mags. I can't help it. I buy way too many. :reject:

Oooh...as for another cover song, I'm listening to a Ryan Adams boot, and it has him doing "Lovesick Blues"...which is one of my favorite covers. The studio version is decent, but I prefer the live versions.

What's Rockpile? We probably don't have it here. Every semi-decent music magazine seems to disappear after a few issues.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by Cher fuckin' OWNS THIS THREAD! YEE-HAW!

...just kidding. :wink:

Pearl Jam - Crazy Mary(BEST COVER EVER!)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

djerdap said:
Pearl Jam - Crazy Mary(BEST COVER EVER!)

:up: aren't pearl jam are just swell when it comes to covers?

crazy mary, baba o'reilly, last kiss, i believe in miracles, leavin' here, i am a patriot, masters of war, 25 minutes to go, fortunate son, know your rights, rockin' in the free world, save it for later, hide your love away... and of course... MLK :wink:

meegannie said:
Q lost all credibility with me about two years ago. Have they even done ONE issue in the past year that wasn't "50 Greatest" something or other?

I hate music magazines. :mad:

I used to buy Q for the funny photo captions as much as anything else. Now it's a new look Q and they've gone too.:(

meegannie said:

Gah, you can say that again. I'm soooo bloody sick of those lists; once in a while is ok, but enough is enough already.

Covers... hmm I really like Marianne Faithful's take on "Working Class Hero".

Wait, you're Elvis12? I recognize you from the blogs -- I had no idea you were the same Elvis. It looks terrific, can't wait for volume 2.

Today I rediscovered a cover song that never got much attention, but it captures the sentiment of the original...
"Landslide" by the Smashing Pumpkins

Covers Songs Volume 2....

http://www.artofthemix.org/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strMixID=83132

1 Ben Harper - Strawberry Fields (The Beatles)
2 M Ward - Lets Dance (David Bowie)
3 Tears for Fears -Creep (Radiohead)
4 Elbow- Independent Women
5 Pet Shop Boys - Where the streets have no name (U2)
6 Sarah Slean - Climbing up walls (Radiohead)
7 The Twilight Singers - Hyperballad (Bjork)
8 Pedro the Lion- Something in the way (Nirvana)
9 U2 -Neon Lights (Kraftwerk)
10 Smashing Pumpkins -I want you to want me (Cheap Trick)
11 Audioslave -Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes)
12 Seal - Lips like Sugar (Echo and the Bunneymen)
13 The Decemberists - Human Behavior (Bjork)
14 Iron and Wine- Such Great Heights (The Postal Service)

Back
Top Bottom