Beer, Devon Superthread - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #571
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:41 PM
TTTYAATW is such a letdown after the end of MW. I feel like rocking along (well, maybe "grooving along" rather than pure rockin', but I don't say that), and this song just completely kills that with its sluggish b-sidetastic plodding style.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #572
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Ashley, U2 at the End of the World is a great read. I think I've read it 2-3 times and still love it.

I haven't even opened U2 by U2 and I got it 2 Christmases ago. I'll delve into it when I hit my U2 Peak around September/October.
I've been unable to go back and read that book again since I started reading it at 13 and was... "uncomfortable" with the way the book opened. Obviously I'm older and more mature now, but...that feeling of not liking the book stuck with me.

When I go back down to Texas I plan on picking it up at the half-price book store. Also the time I should probably be waaaaay into U2 again *crosses fingers*

Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #573
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:41 PM
"Mysterious Ways" brings the funk.

What I love about this album is the semi-narrative set up throughout. It's about a guy tempted by different things in his search for eternal love and God. When he finally realizes that he's got it all right with his original girl ("Tryin' to Throw Your Arms...") after chasing bellydancing pussy in "Mysterious Ways," it should be all fine and dandy, you know? Happy ending and what not.

Instead, you get the guy going back to his old life and finding out he fucked up a good thing and now he has to pick up the pieces (the last 3 songs). Most albums would end with the happy ending, I think, but this one goes that extra distance and that's why it's considered a masterpiece, well, one of the reasons. It's my favorite U2 album, so I've got a lot to say about it.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #574
The Male

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10
8. Mysterious Ways - Exotic drums? I call it pretentious bullshit/10

TTTYAATW...is a throwaway, especially lyrically, but I still dig it.

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #575
Vocal parasite

So I went and grabbed that drink and get back just as TTTYAATW is finishing. "Win", I think. But here's UV. Fuck. At least its intro isn't bad.

Also, orange juice mixed with lemonade (i.e. Sprite) is fantastic.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #576
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

What I love about this album is the semi-narrative set up throughout. It's about a guy tempted by different things in his search for eternal love and God. When he finally realizes that he's got it all right with his original girl ("Tryin' to Throw Your Arms...") after chasing bellydancing pussy in "Mysterious Ways," it should be all fine and dandy, you know? Happy ending and what not.

Instead, you get the guy going back to his old life and finding out he fucked up a good thing and now he has to pick up the pieces (the last 3 songs). Most albums would end with the happy ending, I think, but this one goes that extra distance and that's why it's considered a masterpiece, well, one of the reasons. It's my favorite U2 album, so I've got a lot to say about it.
I think that's really what I love most about this album. The fact that they successfully told a story, without seeming to push it too far.

Chass wrote an amazing narrative to go along with the album, and it made it so much more to me.

Now I really wanna listen to it...soon *steeples fingers Mr. Burns style*
Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #577
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Yeah, all thing's must come to an end, even the 90s. I'm just ready for this current radio trend to end. I want something emotionally stirring from them again that's all I really want. I can't really think of anything on the last two albums that got me in such a way.
Definitely.

"Beautiful Day" worked as the emotional track and radio smash, and I think they've been trying to replicate the success of that song.

"Walk On," "Kite," "Sometimes...," and "Miracle Drug" get to me like the older songs, but that's about it.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #578
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I have never ever bought this story. It strikes me as Achtung fans reading too much into the album.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #579
Blue Crack Distributor

Stockholm (ZooTV) WOWY is made of all kinds of win.

/random
Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #580
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I think that's really what I love most about this album. The fact that they successfully told a story, without seeming to push it too far.

Chass wrote an amazing narrative to go along with the album, and it made it so much more to me.

Now I really wanna listen to it...soon *steeples fingers Mr. Burns style*
That's cool.

I remember trying to write a sprawling narrative story that stretches across every U2 album a few years back. I wasn't creative enough to finish it or make it any good, maybe I'm still not, but it's an intriguing idea.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #581
The Male

The next three songs kill the album for me. Well, not Acrobat so much, but the other two are so inferior in the studio that they're barely worth listening to when giving AB a spin.

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #582
Vocal parasite

Ugh.

Boyband, boyband, boyband, fuck go away ...

Seriously, why AREN'T the Backstreet Boys doing a guest spot and harmonising on this song?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #583
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I have never ever bought this story. It strikes me as Achtung fans reading too much into the album.
I think it's plausible because of the stuff about Edge's divorce and Bono's constant angst during that time period, but I can see why people would disagree.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #584
The Male

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10
8. Mysterious Ways - Exotic drums? I call it pretentious bullshit/10
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - Hangovers aren't fun to listen to, sorry/10

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #585
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Definitely.

"Beautiful Day" worked as the emotional track and radio smash, and I think they've been trying to replicate the success of that song.

"Walk On," "Kite," "Sometimes...," and "Miracle Drug" get to me like the older songs, but that's about it.
I can't deny Walk On Got me into the band. And I think if I were to go back to listen to the album again it would stir emotions again (God I'm just now realizing how long this U2 break has been that's another album I haven't listened to in about a year.) but...I don't know...maybe a few lines from WILATW, and Stuck ( ) but not much else

There's stuff on Bomb that's good, but again, nothing...nothing I can just point out and say, that was good writing right there Bono.

Not like the 80s, not like the 90s. There is no RTSS for the 00s.

Tags
superthread