becoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. i first saw an episode with 5 strangers brought together by mtv to 'become' limp bizkit. since i have seen 2 characters 'become' christina aguilera and ricky martin(am i the only one who didn't know they had a song together?) and 2 twin sisters 'become' 1 jennifer lopez. i have also been told of an episode in which 5 young men are brought together and 'became' backstreet boys(or maybe it was 'nsync but who cares)

first thing i found humorous was that as fun for the participants and fake as these programs are, they are probably simply a microcosm of the creation of the band/performer themsevles. 'becoming' jennifer lopez for those twins was probably largely the same except done over a much shorter time frame than jennifer lopez becaming jennifer lopez.

amidst the laughter i came to realize that this show may end up depressing more than anything else. that idolatry has reached such a point where young men shed tears at the thought of being nick is disturbing. has the concept of individuality become so warped that it doesn't resemble itself anymore?

i would be very interested to see this program aired amidst regular mtv viewers. i would be intrigued to see if their responses to the program are comical(ie realizing the programs participants are complete dorks) or are they ones of admiration(ie wishing they could 'become' aguilera or martin).

or am i taking all this much too seriously?
and if anyone says they want to 'be' U2 i may be ill
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-06-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:

or am i taking all this much too seriously?

Yes, dear, I think you are. Don't let it get to you. Pathetic people will always be among us.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Back
Top Bottom