Bang and Clatter views on 'Vertigo' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Bang and Clatter views on 'Vertigo'

I'm interested in hearing all of your impressions/opinions/thoughts/views on the new U2 single, 'Vertigo'. I think a lot more of us here have a lot of other favorite bands/types of music, and it's interesting to hear all of your opinions on the subject because of that. Let's hear it!!!

(I'll post my thoughts later)

Old 09-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:45 PM
it's one of the best of U2's fun rock tracks
I am not really all that interested in that side of U2 though

I like all the elements of the song
but I don't think it's a brilliant song

I rate it about 8-8.5 out of 10 when taking into regard the purpose of the track (fun/rock/energy)

I would rate it about 7-7.5 out of 10 otherwise

it won't be a classic U2 track by all means

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:45 PM
I love it. It's a very direct and fun rock n' roll song. I think it achieves what it's after in both sounds and the idea behind it. Musically Vertigo is great fun, that riff is awesome to play and to listen. It just gets you grooving! Everybody is doing a fine work there. Like a lot of Bono's lyrics to me Vertigo's lyrics started as pretty abstract and intentionally meaningless and then it slowly took form and started meaning something. However the many images that Bono throws at you from his lyrics instantly passed me the feeling that I think he wanted us to get. So I think they do a good job in trying to give you that idea of Vertigo which is a sense of lost and weariness, hence the Spanish counting and the "hello, hello". That’s what I think at least. It's a great chorus too, perfect to open an album and introduce you to what the record is all about, much like Zoo Station. That’s what differentiates U2 from other rock bands out there, they are true artists that can really make a song have a lot of content and make it last with you for a long, long time. It’s more than just a fun riff and a nice chorus. Also the “oh, woh, woh, oh, woh” part that Edge sings is as if came out from a song from Boy. Edge used to do that a lot on the early years on songs like Out Of Control and Stories For Boys and also songs on October. So in that way, it also does a good job merging the before and the after of U2.

I always felt that U2 had more fun making those kinds of songs, the more visceral and rock songs. I mean when you look at them playing their “rock songs” you can see that those are the songs that gets everybody jumping and moving and gets the band doing wild things on stage. It’s what every fan wants I think, to be entertained. I think this song is going to be great fun live, I hope they use it to open the sets of the upcoming tour.

8/10
Old 09-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:45 PM
i like the idea of this thread. means i don't have to wade through thousands of posts by u2lover2947329783242s...

i like the song a hell of a lot. it's on the louder, more rocking end of the spectrum, of course i'm going to like it for that. i like the guitar a lot, and seeing as that's the reason i started listening to u2 in the first place, after not listening to the band for a year and a half, it was nice to have a new song that reminds me why they'll always be one of my favorite bands. the guitar parts seem to roll what was good about every u2 album in the past all into one nice little package. but classic material? probably not. but i don't care, stuff designated as singles or deemed 'classics' years later aren't my favorites.

oh, and i think the 'place called vertigo' line sounds like the melody was lifted from the ramones' 'commando'. haha.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i like the idea of this thread. means i don't have to wade through thousands of posts by u2lover2947329783242
u2lover2947329783242 is going to be so offended.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:45 PM
I think it's great. The punk rock vibe in the song really has me excited for this new era of U2.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
I Serve Larry's Stick

Ditto--it is so much more fun than anything from the last album. I love this a lot more than Elevation
Old 09-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Blue Meth Addict

LadyLemon, your sig offends me. I'm so not from Texas, do your research!

Old 09-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
New Yorker

me like vertigo
Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I like it, isn't their best song, but it's a great fun rock song and that, everytime, rules...
Old 09-26-2004, 02:54 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:45 PM
the 'one, two, three, fourteen' part will always be an enigma to me . .
Old 09-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 03:45 PM
I love the guitar sound... not what you would expect the typical U2 sound to be but it's a fun single.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

u2lover2947329783242 is going to be so offended.

Old 09-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
The Fly

I like it a lot. Great energy and a great vibe. There are so many distinct elements to the song that it's hard to believe it's only a tick over three minutes long. This makes a lot of other U2 songs of its type sound a little lacking (including "Mysterious Ways" -- which I think is an almost perfectly written rock song). I don't think I've heard the band sound this relaxed before. It may not go down as one of U2's all-time classics, but that isn't the point of the song.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #15
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I feel like Achtung Baby and Boy had a lovechild in a dark alley. Adam's bass is such sexy funk that I almost feel dirty listening to it. I have visions of Bono tearing around like crazy, in a fit of controlled chaos. Edge is showing the guitar no mercy. Larry is Larry...and what else must I say? I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, and I will be whoring this song out as much as I possibly can.

Bonochick [at] interference.com