Argentina will win the next Soccer World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
There, I said it...

And I wish I could go to Germany in 2006 to celebrate with them...

* gets ready to be bashed *

Now we have a better structured team, with younger players...

If we do not win, we at least make it to the final...

Brazil is doomed... they won too many times in the last couple of years. I would not have much hope as stretches do end.

with Wayne Rooney, and as long as Beckham is healthy, i think England may have a good shot at it.

but i'm really pulling for Ireland. ;)

England can only do it if they play at home... after all, that is what history tells.

And, plus, the lads plays really boring soccer... the Euro Cup proved that.

Who's Beckham?

france would have a decent chance but zidane won't play will he?

italy relies on players that can't handle the heat (look at euro 04)

england...maybe?

my money's on brazil at this point.

it's way too early to be predicting who will win the World Cup

Germany will enjoy the home advantage and they've got two great talents in that Cologne striker and Schweinsteiger but they've got an ageing squad and no qualifying matches means they'll be shorter on match fitness than most teams

France are rebuilding after the retirements of Zidane, Thuram et al. They've got loads of talent like Giuly, Rothen, Govou, Luyindula and others waiting in the wings, but somehow I don't see them doing much

Argentina is a great side and they've had a decent 2004 and an exciting young striker in Tevez but in two years, who knows?

Brazil are always favourites but they have one of the most dodgy defences in the world and that's always a hindrance

England always look good on paper but inevitably choke. The inevitable arrival of Downing could solve the 'left-sided problem' and Paul Robinson is a much better keeper than James but still, choke.

Italy, for all their catenaccio, do have decent attacking prowess, but at Euro 2004 they relied too much on Vieri and since he didn't deliver, they got punished. Likewise for Spain and Raul.

Holland have the greatest players in the world but the trophy always seems one step too far.

As for Ireland, name all the Irish players who could cocievably play in the England squad (or some kind of UK&Ireland XI)? The Duffer, probably, the two Keanes, and until recently Given, but that's it.

USA have some great goalkeepers but only one of them can play at each time, and if I believe the hype Freddy Adu is the next Pele, but, let's face it, they won't win.

Although eighteen months is an eternity in football terms it's quite simple if you look through history: if the tournament is in Europe a European side wins it, if it's outside Europe a South American side wins.
With that in mind I think I would be inclined to look at one of four:- Holland, England, Spain and Italy.
It's one of the best kept secrets in world football that France are actually an incredibly ordinary side who are no longer as lucky as they once were.
Holland must win a World cup sooner or later and I wouldn't be that surprised if in eighteen months time Robben isn't regarded as the best player in the world.
England obvious bias here but we are awesome in defence, awesome in midfield and pretty good up front. Our main weak point we seem to be that are manager is tactically lacking he's seems to freeze at important moments and is unwilling to make tough decisions. I'm not sure the Goalkeeping problem has been solved just yet although if we can persuade Cudicini to take up a Brisitsh passport it might be.
Although England were poor Spain were very good (despite the crowds behaviour) in the recent friendly and Alonso looks very good.
Italy are always going to be there or there abouts and have been incredibly unfortunate over the last six years.
Still it should be a very interesting World Cup and all being well I'll get to go. If I was pushed for prediction at the moment I would go for Holland.

So is anyone here planning on going to Germany to see this thing? My brother has been talking about it for years and I think it might be kind of cool to join him

The Netherlands will win the next world cup...in my dreams. Realistically, they will make it to the semi finals and lose in penalties (LIKE EVERY DAMMMNNN TIME!!!!)

yertle-the-turtle said:

As for Ireland, name all the Irish players who could cocievably play in the England squad (or some kind of UK&Ireland XI)? The Duffer, probably, the two Keanes, and until recently Given, but that's it.

why compare ireland to england? a team should be stronger than the individuals who play for it. england are individuals, ireland is a team.

damien duff probably get on the england squad!!! come on, have you been following the premiership, duff and robben have been the 2 best players by far! if duff were english he would be the first name on the teamsheet.

I get where you're coming from, and I was referring to the fact that Duff, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane and Given would be likely to be called up to some sort of football equivalent of the British & Irish Lions.

gav6519 said:

damien duff probably get on the england squad!!! come on, have you been following the premiership, duff and robben have been the 2 best players by far! if duff were english he would be the first name on the teamsheet.

The Duffer has been absolute pure magic this season and everyone in England has got very excited by Wright Phillips and he is not even close to level of Duff. I also think Matt Holland would be much better thought of in England if he happened to be English. How that man is only at Charlton I'll never know. I do however think Robbie Keane would occasionaly make the England team and we wouldn't have Roy Keane given.

Turkey!! I hope :wink: actually there are so many turks in germany (around 2 million i think) if 1/4 of them see the matches we'll be playing home games.

of course that'd do no good if we kept playing like crap as we do at the moment. actually, if we go on like this we might not even make the world cup :( thatd be :censored: :mad: :madspit: so i hope it all turns out good.

if we make the cup we will definitely be in the semi finals! yes! yes! :hyper:

oh i got carried away

all_i_want said:
Turkey!! I hope :wink: actually there are so many turks in germany (around 2 million i think) if 1/4 of them see the matches we'll be playing home games.

I'm not attempting to change the subject of the thread but are you from Turkey? I believe that the Champions League Final is in Turkey this year and as I think Chelsea will be in it I'm thinking of going. Could you offer any advice? What's the ground like etc.

well the stadium is called ataturk olympic stadium, it has pretty big capacity (80,000) i think, it is arguably the best stadium in the country. however, it is a bit far from downtown istanbul so you'll probably need to take a bus from the city (im sure additional transportation will be arranged) the stadium is one of the best stadiums in europe actually, but it is pretty new so the local teams dont use it as their home ground. here is the link for the stadium: http://www.ataturkolympicstadium.com/eng/eng.asp

but frankly, i live in ankara so i am not an expert on istanbul, i know it has an amazing nightlife, beautiful sights and great food, so you could walk around during the day and go have some fun after the match, also it has a relatively small but nice subway to connect all of them. for more info on istanbul: www.istanbul.com

anything else you wanna know, just ask :wink: have a great time !

all_i_want said:
well the stadium is called ataturk olympic stadium, it has pretty big capacity (80,000) i think, it is arguably the best stadium in the country. however, it is a bit far from downtown istanbul so you'll probably need to take a bus from the city (im sure additional transportation will be arranged) the stadium is one of the best stadiums in europe actually, but it is pretty new so the local teams dont use it as their home ground. here is the link for the stadium: http://www.ataturkolympicstadium.com/eng/eng.asp

but frankly, i live in ankara so i am not an expert on istanbul, i know it has an amazing nightlife, beautiful sights and great food, so you could walk around during the day and go have some fun after the match, also it has a relatively small but nice subway to connect all of them. for more info on istanbul: www.istanbul.com

anything else you wanna know, just ask :wink: have a great time !

That's fantastic thanks a lot. Early days at the moment I think I'll commit to going once Chelsea have beaten Barcelona. I've always wanted to go to Turkey and want to see the European Cup final so it seems like a good idea to combine both if I can.

You are all wrong. Sweden will of course win.

Argentina where favourites in the WC 2002 and they didn't even get throug the group-play. They finished third in their group behind SWEDEN and England.

Back
Top Bottom